Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
AlariceS
Style_council
AlariceS

Hi,

I’m doing a Uni project on Op Shops. The goal is to do qualitative and quantitive research into Op Shops and then find a need (signage, advertising, store systems) that needs some sort of design. So feel free to comment further beyond the questions in this survey. Be Honest I will only be using this info for my project thanx
:-)

Please be 100% honest and elaborate as much as possible

Thrift Store Survey

What is a Thrift Store(in your own words)?

Do You Thrift and Why?

When and how did you hear about Thrifting?

Did you know that Thrifting is a green practice and a form of recycling? Does this make you want to Thrift?

What do you think about Thrift Stores?

Do you see Thrift stores as a DIY/Craft opportunity and Why?

Does the look and feel of a store change your reasons for shopping there?

The way that Thrift Stores work does it makes it fully relevant to today’s society or should there be a new concept to replace it, does it really bring the community together? Any ideas about what this concept could be?

What is your preferred method of shopping? (You may only choose one)
a) Traditional Retail Store
b) Thrift store (for a charitable organization)
c) Consignment store
d) Designer store
e) Online shopping
f) Second hand online stores such as Ebay

What would you like to see happened in/with Thrift stores?

posted over 3 years ago
FallingFruits
New_user FallingFruits is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When FallingFruits reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
FallingFruits

Hello! Here are my answers =] Good luck on your project!

Thrift Store Survey

Where do you live: Charlotte, NC

A thrift store is a store that sells secondhand but not necessarily vintage clothing.

Do You Thrift and Why?

Yes I do! I love clothes that have been loved and may have a story behind them. Also, it saves the wallet a bit :) It’s the best way to find wonderful vintage clothing and accessories.

I was young, my mom is an avid Goodwill-er. I heard about it from her!

Did you know that Thrifting is a green practice and a form of recycling? Does this make you want to Thrift?

Yes, and yes :)

They’re the only way to go! Once in a while I’ll indulge in Urban Outfitters or something, but nothing beats a good Thrift day.

In a way, I suppose, because if you’re handy with a sewing machine and find a garment that needs tending, it can become a craft.

Not really, I go for the product. Obviously a funky store gives more of an experience but overall, not really.

The way that Thrift Stores work does it makes it fully relevant to today’s society or should there be a new concept to replace it, does it really bring the community together? Any ideas about what this concept could be?

I guess it brings the community together because not only is it fun but it helps people who may not be able to spend a lot of money on “nice clothing”. Nice clothing can be found for a lot cheaper at a thrift store. They help everyone, just the way they are.

c) Consignment store
d) Designer store
e) Online shopping

B

I think they should have more events, or something to bring in more people and raise awareness about how it’s a greener opportunity and a fun experience.

posted over 3 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

Thrift Store Survey

Where do you live: Leavenworth, Kansas

What is a Thrift Store(in your own words)? A thrift store is a store that sells secondhand clothes and other items.

Do You Thrift and Why? yes, because it’s cheaper than shopping at regular shops, I love vintage clothes, and also because I never have to worry about wearing the same thing as someone else. :)

My brother’s girlfriend took me thrifting with her when I was in fifth grade.

I already like thrifting, but I don’t do it with the environment in mind, sorry :/

They smell a little funky but I love looking through all the racks!!

Sometimes….it’s not as heartbreaking to cut up that $.50 shirt versus the $20 one, is it? Most of the clothes I get I leave as-is.

No.

I don’t fully understand this question, I’m afraid. I feel that thrift stores are ridiculously under used, should not be replaced, and doesn’t connect a community any more than any other type of shop would.

a) Traditional Retail Store—-I love my thrifted pieces but it’s easier to find clothes at Forever 21!!! :D

I’d like to see them utilized more often but keep prices the same. I would hate to see them die out, conversely.

posted over 3 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

Where do you live: San Francisco

What is a Thrift Store(in your own words)? A store that sells used goods for very low prices.

Do You Thrift and Why? Yes, I thrift because I find amazing deals and amazing items that I would not be able to find in non-thrift stores. Second hand items do not bother me, I actually like knowing that something I buy at a thrift store has been loved and cared by someone before me and that it is now my turn to enjoy it.

When and how did you hear about Thrifting? I had a salvation army store in my small town while growing up. In high school, friends and I would go to the only thrift store in town (after SA closed) which is just about my most favorite thrift store ever.

Did you know that Thrifting is a green practice and a form of recycling? Does this make you want to Thrift? Definitely. Not only do I thrift but I usually donate my used goods to the thrift stores I shop at. The fact that it is a form of recycling is not a main reason I thrift shop. I simply do it because I love to and if it is green practice, even better.

What do you think about Thrift Stores? They are pretty fabulous but I feel as though many so called “thrift stores” are not really thrift stores in the traditional sense. Rather, because thrifting an vintage clothing have become mainstream in many places, these used goods are being sold for a whole lot of money. I love thrift stores because i can afford to buy unique items but when they cost as much or more than new items I really cannot commit to buying. Thrift stores like SA and Goodwill will always be favorites.

Do you see Thrift stores as a DIY/Craft opportunity and Why? Yes! I shop at thrift stores for fabric. If I find a piece of clothing I like but it does not fit (too large) I’ll take it home anyway and tailor it to fit me. I am an avid sewer and wanting to learn more sewing techniques, create more articles of clothing and this is an easy and cheap way to practice, especially as fabric can be quite expensive.

Does the look and feel of a store change your reasons for shopping there? I do generally tend to shop at thrift stores where I’ve had good experiences finding things I like. Those I will go to on a regular basis. If the store however is full of pretentious workers, I don’t step in again.

The way that Thrift Stores work does it makes it fully relevant to today’s society or should there be a new concept to replace it, does it really bring the community together? Any ideas about what this concept could be? I wouldn’t really say thrift stores bring a community together, other than the fact that the items are being recycled throughout the community. I don’t think thrift stores can and will ever be replaced.

What would you like to see happened in/with Thrift stores? I like what I am seeing. At least with the ones I shop at regularly. There are many sales and discounts on top of the already low prices and these change everyday. It keeps me coming back many times a week.

posted over 3 years ago

OmniDimensional
Style_council
OmniDimensional

Where do you live: CdA

What is a Thrift Store(in your own words)? Second hand shop, vintage store

Do You Thrift and Why? It’s more economical in my opinion. i would rather thrift then buy clothes at department stores because you know the clothes at thrift stores have been worn and washed and if they are still in immaculate condition then it’s good quality. I find a lot of department stores have clothes that are cheap fabrics and fall apart after a few washes.

When and how did you hear about Thrifting? My mom would always shop at thrift stores when I was a little kid and would bring me with her. Most of my clothes growing up were thrifted so I caught on at a young age.

Did you know that Thrifting is a green practice and a form of recycling? Does this make you want to Thrift? it definitely makes me more encouraged to thrift because I don’t like it when some just throw things away when someone else would love to have it or even alter it to make it better. It’s a waste of money!

What do you think about Thrift Stores? I love them but it depends on where you go. I have found some places to have great stuff while some seem to be full of junk.

Do you see Thrift stores as a DIY/Craft opportunity and Why? Yes! There are so many options when you thrift and alter things to your liking. It’s easy to alter then start from scratch with fabric and you can cut it up knowing you didn’t spend a fortune on it.

Does the look and feel of a store change your reasons for shopping there? Yeah probably. If the store is dirty and unkempt then the clothes will probably be dirty or smell bad. When the store is clean and organized it’s easier to find nice things and the clothes will be in better condition.

The way that Thrift Stores work does it makes it fully relevant to today’s society or should there be a new concept to replace it, does it really bring the community together? Any ideas about what this concept could be? It’s great for a community because for the people who can’t afford to buy new things have the opportunity to buy nice things at an affordable price. Instead of throwing away unwanted items, give them to a thrift store so that someone else who is less fortunate can enjoy it.

c) Consignment store
d) Designer store
e) Online shopping
B. Thrift stores are cheap and you will be surprised of the nice things you may find.

What would you like to see happened in/with Thrift stores? I have noticed since thrift stores are becoming more popular the prices are going up so instead of them taking advantage they need to lower the prices because people who are less fortunate still shop there and they are making the options more limited for them. That’s the point of thrift stores!

posted over 3 years ago

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

Thrift Store Survey

Where do you live: Philippines

A shop that sells vintage/old items, used or not.

Do You Thrift and Why?
Yes, I love discovering vintage stuff or things that I missed when I was still a kid.

I was looking for affordable porcelain dolls around my area and discovered more exciting things such as never been used clothes and accessories.

I know it’s better if we reuse things again and recreate new things with it. I like the feeling when toys are being sold again to be played by another kid (or me?). Our family used to sell old things in our house/shop too, so it’s not new to me as I grow.

What do you think about Thrift Stores? It’s the most affordable vintage in town.

Yeah, whenever I have a project, I always visit the thrift stores since it’s where I can find cheap materials.

Honestly yes. I dont like shopping in a very dusty thrift store. Items should be kept tidy since it is still for sale. I like thrift stores that sort thing like, toys should be in the left side, clothes on the other side. It helps me find what Im looking for easily.

Yes, we need to recycle things plus it can help the people who cannot afford to buy new things. It wont contribute a lot to the community but small things still count.

c) Consignment store
d) Designer store
e) Online shopping

e) Online shopping – you can find new / thrift items in the internet plus the items will be delivered to your doorstep without any hassle at all.

They should have online shops too aside from the physical shops that they have. In that way, more people will be aware of it and more chances of getting customers. But prices should still be the same (excluding shipping fee). Even a photo of their new arrivals on the internet can help pople to get into their physical stores!

posted over 3 years ago

AnindhitaRustiyan
Style_council
AnindhitaRus...

Where do you live: Indonesia

What is a Thrift Store(in your own words)? a vintage store.

Do You Thrift and Why? yes, because there are so many second hand clothes which still fabulous and great to wear/mix with the latest trend. but actually, my aunt has a lot of vintage clothes which can be mine! we have a same taste of fashion and our body almost look the same. she didn’t change drastically like my mom, just a little different between her teenage to now.

When and how did you hear about Thrifting? since I joined to Chictopia.

Did you know that Thrifting is a green practice and a form of recycling? Does this make you want to Thrift? well, it can be a green practice then. because we wear an old stuff.

What do you think about Thrift Stores? as long as I can find a great and nice condition’s clothes, thrift stores is great.

Do you see Thrift stores as a DIY/Craft opportunity and Why? yes. we can be more creative with the thrift, we can mix it with the latest trend, or we can make it like the new trends.

Does the look and feel of a store change your reasons for shopping there? of course! not just for the thrift store, for all stores, when I walked in and I found a cute/calming look, it makes me believe that I can find something great there.

The way that Thrift Stores work does it makes it fully relevant to today’s society or should there be a new concept to replace it, does it really bring the community together? Any ideas about what this concept could be? sorry, I don’t know.

d) Designer store

What would you like to see happened in/with Thrift stores? a lower prices!

posted over 3 years ago

cassidyydawn
Style_council
cassidyydawn

Where do you live: Montreal, Canada

A store that sells second-hand clothing and other items for low prices; recycled clothing.

Do You Thrift and Why?
Yes! I thirft because I love finding amazing deals on one of a kind clothes! I love discovering vintage clothing pieces that would be nearly impossible to find elsewear, it’s so unique!

Discovered stores like Value Village and the Salvation army when looking for places to donate my unwanted clothes when I was younger.

Yes, and yes!

I love the prices, and the unique one of a kind items you can find there!

I certainly do. Thrift stores are great places to buy props for theatre, photoshoots, and other artistic practices as well as clothes. It’s also fun to alter and mix and match used clothing!

Sometimes. Even if the clothing is used/secondhand, I expect the store to be clean, and the clothes not to be completely ragged, stained, etc.

Thrift stores are a great place to recycle clothes that you do not, and often help people in the community who are looking for clothes at lower prices.

c) Consignment store
d) Designer store
e) Online shopping

b) Thrift store shopping. It’s just so fun!

Most importantly, I think they need to keep their prices low. Now that thrifting is becoming more popular, I have noticed that some places are rising their prices, which kind of defeats the point of a thrift/secondhand shop!

posted over 3 years ago

kiki_sandoval
Style_council
kiki_sandoval

age 14
california
student
a second hand store
i do thrift i do it becuz its fun u find clothes no one else has and its not so expensive
my older cousin took me thrifting like last year and it was fun
it is recycling becuase u r using someone elses old clothes and yes it does make me want go thrifting
i think thrift stores r stores for unique style
yes u can find project clothes that u can improve and make ur own
no most stores look really bad and i still look for stuff
yes help people find cheaper clothes and recycle wat u dont want to help others
all of the above
i would like them to be more nicely decorated to make it more enjoyable

posted over 3 years ago

plasticflowergarden
Style_council
plasticflowe...

Where do you live: California

Secondhand store

Do You Thrift and Why?
Yeeessir. I think it’s fun; I love finding unique and unexpected pieces. I am a huge DIY-er, and my creativity thrives when I see all those “what-if” pieces and whatnot. Plus I love me a bargain!

I grew up with it. Mom’s taken me thrifting for as long as I can remember.

Double yes!

They’re fun! You can find things both beautiful and laughable, and some rarities as well.

So, so much! 70% of my thrift store purchases go toward this. I’m constantly finding pieces that my mind completely redesigns, need a little TLC, or can be used to practice alteration on.

Not often, although I do feel tempted to stay longer in an organized store.

Maybe bring some of it online? I dunno…

c) Consignment store
d) Designer store
e) Online shopping
I have to go with Ebay since it’s basically an online combo of all the above.

Uhm… maybe lower prices? Some thrift stores are getting a little pricey for the quality of their merchandise. And better organization.

posted about 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION