Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
rotting
Style_council
rotting

possible or impossible? i lack the funds to purchase a sewing machine so i’m stuck with my hands! instead of being unhappy with the fit of my jeans i figured i could do something about it. would this project be very time consuming? and any tips ladies? i’ve sewn before, but i have no idea where to start with jeans!

posted almost 5 years ago
geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

I would suggest either investing in the machine or paying for a professional to alter them for you. Even women’s stretch denim is going to be thick and any variations/misalignments/mistakes in the line of your stitching will make the legs fit awkwardly. A tailor should be able to do something like this for no more than $10 or $15.

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

The tutorial you posted is really handy if you’re barely taking them in, but sewing them from the outseam for any substantial width is going to cause two main problems: the pocket bags are intended to fit according to the outseam, so they won’t sit properly inside the jeans and the crotch hang that the poster in that forum noted. I’d say that if you’re going to take ’em in about half an inch or less, it should work out fine, though.

withredribbon
Style_council
withredribbon

I agree with geekbonchic, either invest in a machine or get a professional to do it.

I have a sewing machine and I still found it quite difficult to get the jeans right so i can only imagine how hard it would be without it.

New_user 32348 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 32348 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

It is possible to sew it by hand, but you have to know what you’re getting yourself into.

First of all, most jeans are pretty thick and hardy, so the material itself is gonna be a challenge. You’d need to get denim needles to help you get through the fabric without hurting your fingers.

If you’re just taking in the bottom half of the pant so it’s tapered, you won’t have to bother with the pockets. As for the outseam, you can fold in the extra fabric right at the edge of the seam so you can still sew it in without re-doing the outseam. Just make sure you cut off the extra fabric and heavily iron the fold down near the outseam so it’s more invisible.

I had a friend who used to hem her jeans that way so she’d still have the original hem without cutting it off and sewing it back on.

JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

Be positive! It can be down if you have the patience.
oyitsjess has pretty good pointers, I’ll just add that you should use a back stich to add durability.
Happy sewing!

roleepop
Style_council
roleepop

use the sewing machine dear >_< it is fast + easy + hassle free

REPLY TO DISCUSSION