Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
taralily
Style_council
taralily

What does everyone think of wristbands and arm warmers? I actually think they can be pretty cute and snazzy. Sometimes though, they can come off as very Avril Lavigney or look plaid weird.

Does anyone have any tips on how/what to wear them with? Or pictures/links?

posted about 5 years ago
jaded
Style_council
jaded

eh, i don’t really like them. they remind me of my pathetic 8th grade “punk rock” wannabe stage.

posted about 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Lots of brands are doing longer gloves/sleeves for men this upcoming fall. Balenciaga has a great pair of wool/lurex ones and the Dior ones from fall ’03 never get old.

posted about 5 years ago

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

Arm warmers have been around since the late 90s, it’s just that the mainstream is only recently catching on. As geekbonchic mentioned, even some of the major designers doing high-end fancy smancy stuff showed armwarmers in their fall runways.

IMO they’re now like any other accessory, in that they can be dressed up or down, look tacky or tasteful. Just like a belt. For example, a studded black belt can look psuedo-punk-wannabe or can look edgy-glam. It just depends on the details and context of your outfit.

You can probably find a ton of examples by looking at fashion blogs, diy or handmade sites, or just using google. I can’t really give you any hard and fast rules for how to wear them. I’d say just think of them in terms of layering your outfit. :)

posted about 5 years ago

elizabethmd
Style_council
elizabethmd

I think tarm warmers remind me of all the emo girls at my school that cut off their long sleves then wear them as arm warmers. It’s very obvious, since they match up with the shirt except there’s this awkward gap and fringe.
Anyway, I think they would be hard to pull off so I’m not a huge fan. But if I ever saw someone to wear them stylishly, I’d probably go hug them for pulling off what to me, is a near impossible feat.

But long gloves, that’s a whole ’nother story!

posted about 5 years ago

Serafina
Style_council
Serafina

My mom’s friend has these beautiful knit ivory armwarmers, with lace on the edges. They could be stretched out to cover the forearm and the elbow, or down to the wrist for a cute fabric bracelet. If you’re ever in doubt for fringe trends like these, try Asian fashion websites.

posted about 5 years ago

breelee12
Style_council
breelee12

i dont like them too much…

posted about 5 years ago

teamB_macro
Style_council
teamB_macro

Wristbands are okay if you’re sporty and into tennis or if the gym instructor is your new BBF. I think wristbands also tend to draw attention to your upper arms. So if you’ve got flabby arms, think twice before buying one. Just my opinion.

posted about 5 years ago

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

Wristbands are kind of tricky… I think they look best on long, lithe arms or really athletic arms.

Arm warmers, on the other hand, seem more flexible, what with the different materials and textures to use, different lengths to flatter, different fits (slouchy vs. fitted), details you can add, etc. Granted, arm warmers did get really big with the corporate punk trend several years ago, but I’m sure if you avoided their common patterns of black and white checkered and cheesy red plaid AND they don’t purposefully look like funky modified socks, you’re in the clear.

I’d personally go for something neutral and fitted – Treehouse28 on Etsy has some relatively tame looking arm warmers. Or a nice cable knit like this

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION