Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
kijjalyn
Style_council
kijjalyn

I am pretty sure I know the answer that most will give on this, but I was just reading on Fashionista.com a very heated debate on wearing designer knockoffs (of the F21, Steve Madden, Bakers, etc. variety). I know most of the posters I have seen on here frequent F21, Zara, H&M, Topshop, etc. all somewhat known for their runway “inspired” wares that are sometimes almost identical to the originals. What is your take? Is it stealing? Does it depend on the item? the store? the designer? Do you wear them knowingly and proudly or try to pass it off as the real thing? Where do you fall on the personal style vs. designer fashion argument? I own some items that I know are knockoffs and I don’t lose any sleep over them, but nothing in my closet has ever cost me more than $100, so I am not likely in the YSL or DVF demographic. Thoughts?
http://fashionista.com/2008/08/would_you_wear_a…

posted over 6 years ago
1 2 3 5
maddiejayy
Style_council
maddiejayy

It depends. If its a straight up knock off, then fuck no. If its taken inspiration from something but isnt completely the same, then yes.

posted over 2 years ago

anniehall
Style_council
anniehall

I stick to my f21 and topshop

posted almost 2 years ago

debiparna_c
Style_council
debiparna_c

i don’t shop at those places..and i am generally against wearing things which are knock-offs..even if i did shop from a place which had nearly identical knock-offs i would stay away from that and get something else from there maybe.

FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

I wouldn’t

queenodelia
Style_council
queenodelia

sure….. it wouldn’t hurt…. i mean for you people will think its real, and for you it be cheap! so its a win-win for everybody!

Metric
Style_council
Metric

I agree that it is quite rude for stores to rip-off designers original creations. However, I buy what fits in my budget. If it’s cute, buy it (at a reasonable price). I would wear knock-offs.

posted over 1 year ago

SouffleGirl
Style_council
SouffleGirl

I don’t mind wearing knock offs, like the “inspired” looks because most of the originals are impossible for the average person to get. But I do mind road side knock offs, I don’t wear them usually cause it’s made by child labor or it’s a VERY bad knock off, misspelling of brands or words, things like that.

posted over 1 year ago

ThePageStaysBlank
Style_council
ThePageStays...

I know this is an older topic, and the two main sides have been covered, so I thought I’d post about why I have purchased designer items.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to buy the Spring/Summer ‘13 Alexander McQueen Clutch ( http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/women/alexander-mcqueen-studded-skull-padlock-clutch-item-10379983.aspx Note: I paid about 920 for mine, from the designer’s website) I first saw it in Miami, and loved it, but emptying out my entire savings account for a 1400 dollar bag wasn’t something I was willing to do. But I still loved it, and spent two months talking about, and working my ass off at my summer job. Eventually, it went on sale, and I finally took the plunge. I bought it. I won’t lie, it freaked me out. Prior to that, the most expensive thing I’d bought was a pair of Prada sunglasses for 180. Spending almost $1000 isn’t something to take lightly, but that’s what I’ve come to like about buying designer.

Every time I went to buy something, from a pair of shoes at Target to a drink out with my girls, I’d often stop and say to myself, “You know, I’d rather put some money toward that purse.” I had to be really, really sure that I really, really wanted this bag. And I am. I take obsessively good care of it. In fact, I take ridiculously good care of all my stuff. I own two hair clips, because I don’t need more than that. I have three colors of Dior nail polish because I only ever wear classic red or a very pretty purple my sister bought for me. I can look at any item I’ve bought in the last two years and say, “Yeah, I still love that. I wore it recently.” How many people can honestly say they don’t regret buying something in the last two years?

Now not everyone can or should be like me. For one thing, I’m 22 and have parents that sill pay for things like my cell phone bill and car insurance since I’m still in college. I’m very fortune to have very few bills and a part time jobs that lets me save some cash extra here and there. And two, I’m in my 20s, so I’m getting to know where I want to go in life and what my style will be like ten years from now. That’s not true of everyone, especially those still in high school. But as you get older, and you start to know your style, don’t rule out designer items.

posted over 1 year ago
1 2 3 5
REPLY TO DISCUSSION