SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
mango_trotter
Style_council
mango_trotter

Hi guys,

First off – apologies if this isn’t the right forum to post this I. I was slightly overwhelmed with the choice of “posting areas” and always panic when there’s a decision to be made…so I went for here.

OKAY, so I need some help. I’ve got my first graduate interview a week on Wednesday. It’s for the position of Graduate Teaching Assistant in a local University College. I want to go looking din my high-waisted grey skirt because I feel a little uncomfortable (plus, I don’t have a jacket). I want to go looking chic, but quite…mmm, I’m not sure what word I want to go for other than a bit boho-come-indie, I guess.

Basically, I want to wear heavy dark wide-legged trousers, a white long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled to 3/4 with a wool v-neck tank top over the top. To top it off, I have some faun heels which will, in theory, compliment the wide legged trousers and give me a little more height. They’re not high, just the right size.

Here’s the trousers: http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/tailoredlooks/25/4#reviews

I already have the shirt; Austin Reed and a crisp white with slight dashed pattern.

What do you reckon? Will it look dapper enough?!

Also – can anyone recommend a good place for a tank top? It’s apparently not the season for them! I’ve found a few that are “ok” but I haven’t put my finger on the perfect one yet.

Any feedback and help would be amazing!

posted over 3 years ago
MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

This might come a bit late for you but hope you get this before! ^^

I always think of the place first when going to an interview. Might sound very plain to say this on a style forum, but interviews are about getting the job!
Unless the job is for a fashion magazine or smth, I would concern about fitting in more than my personal style.

You can always dress how you like when you get the job ;)

PS. H&M always has tanks me thinks.

posted over 3 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

I have to agree with MiuSan. Think first of where you are applying and dress from there. I do however, agree that those are some great trousers to wear and the rest of your outfit seems good as well, judging from your description. I wouldn’t worry too much about finding that one v-neck tank top. If you can’t find it, wear a cardigan, or a blazer. Just make sure you are as prepared for the interview and not just dressed for one. Best of luck!

posted over 3 years ago

garebare
Style_council
garebare

My dad always advised me to dress the same way the employees are dressed. That way the interviewer can practically picture you working there.

I wouldn’t recommend dressing up your work attire too much. Professional work usually requires a conservative dress code. I believe wide-leg trousers with a long button-down dress shirt, heels, a blazer, and very simple accessories will be fine. But the wool V-neck tank sounds like a good alternative though, but I don’t think rolling up sleeves would be appropriate for an interview. It looks less professional, even if it might look cuter to you.

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION