Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Necca
Style_council
Necca

I have always really liked the trend of those long rosary/cross necklaces, and I myself have been becoming a lot more spiritual. I was wondering though, is wearing those necklaces for fashion offensive?

I’m not very hardcore in my beliefs and even before when I wasn’t I didn’t think it was a big deal at all. As long as someone knows what the item is and what it means to the religion and take steps to respect it, I think that would be alright. I remember one of my friends was wearing real rosary beads and she didn’t want her grandparents to see because they would scold and punish her for wearing them out.

What are your thoughts on them? Are there any other religious paraphernalia trends that you like? I don’t really think this is religious but I would love to wear/own a sari one day!

posted over 4 years ago
jonibringsjoy
Style_council
jonibringsjoy

I have a Catholic friend who would be offended by someone actually wearing an actual rosary (rather than just carrying it around and using it for prayer), so I think it would be wise to just wear a cross/crucifix necklace if that’s what you want.

posted over 4 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

i’m not catholic but i wear a rosary. i think they’re beautiful. i am Christian but rosaries still speak to me as a reminder of Christ dying for me. i was very hesitant at first to wear rosary b/c i don’t want to offend anyone but I’m over it.

i ask myself, would Jesus really be offended if I wore a rosary for fashion sake? personally, I don’t think so (but I am respectful of it). Some may disagree but I’m still going to wear mine

posted over 4 years ago

TamQuoia
Style_council
TamQuoia

When I wear mine, I did feel awkward at first. but then i remembered why I bought it. To show my beliefs to the world. I shouldnt feel bad about it. so I stopped feeling bad.

posted about 4 years ago

GlammcouturE
Style_council
GlammcouturE

I AM catholic and there are so many sides to this, not just the wearing or not wearing of the rosary. Is it a REAL rosary? If so, is it blessed? Most actual catholic rosaries are blessed before they are sold with holy water, and even though it’s not sacreligious to wear them around your neck, it’s just respectful not to.
I don’t mind people wearing ones that aren’t real or are fabricated. I understand fashion is fashion and things go in and out of style and if people like that certain style, there is nothing wrong with that. However, I would not recommend borrowing your catholic friend’s REAL rosary and wearing it with your outfits.

posted about 4 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i don’t find it offensive but sometimes i do find it awkward when other people wear things that are precious to my culture just for fashion.

posted about 4 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

This is part of the huge broad question of whether it’s appropriate to incorporate pieces with cultural significance in fashion, which I think has always been an issue!

Personally I think it’s all about intention, research, and respect. If you know the significance of the original piece (which you do, especially if you believe the faith behind it) and you understand the proper way to respect the piece and the way you wear it doesn’t contradict that, I think it’s fine to wear it.

posted about 4 years ago

MissMeggo
Style_council
MissMeggo

I don’t think you’re supposed to wear rosaries.
If that is the case, then I don’t think you should wear it around for fashion because your disrespecting it and the ideas behind it. I think you can incorporate cultural and religious items into fashion, but you have to do it carefully and you have to have the proper intent, mentality, and solemnity. And you also have to be aware of the culture of the item that your wearing. I don’t think you can wear a culturally significant item in a way that the culture itself wouldn’t condone.

posted about 4 years ago

Necca
Style_council
Necca

Just to clarify. I wouldn’t wear a legit rosary out. Just a ‘fake’ one.

posted about 4 years ago

EveyHoneysuckle
Style_council
EveyHoneysuckle

I say go for it. I love the way they look regardless of religion or not. It always looks good to me when worn with like, a “tough outfit” hehe

I hardly doubt anyone will flip out and even if they do, you can just wrap it and wear it as a bracelet so it’s not as noticeable.

posted about 4 years ago

SewOverdressed
Style_council
SewOverdressed

They look nice i think. But then again, i’m not religious and i respect what their opinions are. I think that as long as your intentions when wearing them are good then it shouldn’t be a problem, right? I agree, with someone else’s comment of not wearing Real rosary beads, just so that you don’t cause contorversy.
I would say you should be able to wear them, because after all it is just an item to some people. But then again, it is more than plainly an item to people who believe in its significance.
It’s quite a controversial topic.. hmmm, lol :)

posted about 4 years ago

opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

They definitely break the first commandment but most Christians/Catholics do that anyways with their cross necklaces. But most religious people don’t understand their religion. If you think they’re pretty I say go for it.

posted about 4 years ago

YchieRiot
Style_council
YchieRiot

cross pendant is okay.. =D I have a necklace and other accessories with “Cross” symbol,but I respect others opinion,it’s all up to yourself.. =D

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION