Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
LaBellaVita323
Style_council
LaBellaVita323

I envy all you bitches on here with big closets haha. I don’t really have that many clothes but I’ve been working my ass off to save up some money and i’ve finally got my hands on some. And besides, without clothes, how will I make it to style gallery ): ?

So i need you girls and boys to help me. I get to build a new wardrobe. But I don’t know what to buy ? My understanding is to buy basics and then build from there but it’s very overwhelming and confusing..

What to buy..Where to shop..How much to spend?

posted almost 5 years ago
claireella
Style_council
claireella

You always need a few dresses, pants, and skirts. Then, get shirts that could easily be matched with any of the bottom pieces.

Levity
Style_council
Levity

Definitely go thrifting, and buy some cheap super interesting pieces. Look for lots of interesting prints and pieces that give you a different shape. On that note, buy things with really big shoulderpads. Sequins are good too.
But basics to invest in-
one really good waist belt
oxfords
heels
gladiator shoes (if you find a good pair I hate you)

hotfudgexd
Style_council
hotfudgexd

Trift! I dont know, im sort of a more is more person, and I buy like a shit loads of clothes- instead of a little but expensive. I would go for some
- Simple heels
- 2 cute dresses/tops
- Good pair of jeans ( ripped .)
- Nice shorts
- scarfs ! I love them

Newdall
Style_council
Newdall

Don’t get stuck in basics. You need them, but don’t ignore those statement pieces that make you feel amazing and original. You don’t want to spend all your money on basics, that would be unsatisfying. My favorite stores are Urban Outfitters and Forever 21. Spend as much as makes you comfortable. Nothing stinks worse than buyers remorse. If you’re buying everything in one big shopping spree, keep the tags on the things that you aren’t in love with, so you can return them if you find something else you’d rather have.

goin
Style_council
goin

i agree! basics are awesome to have, but then you will end up with a boring wardrobe (i’m struggling with this as we speak). it’s no good having a huge wardrobe when all of it is so snooze-worthy. also as previously mentioned… THRIFT THRIFT THRIFT. it’s okay to spend a ton of money on something that you really really want, but think first if the quality is worth it and whether you can find one similar elsewhere.

also, i think that a lot of the people here don’t make it on the Style Gallery because they have STYLE, not just trendy clothing. try to be innovative. go out and have a day where you don’t spend anything (well… unless it’s a great deal or something super amazing ;>) and just search through stores to get ideas.

goin
Style_council
goin

OOH OOH ugh sorry for being a post whore, but another thing i forgot to mention- DO NOT be afraid to walk into stores you normally don’t like. i despise American Eagle… but i buy most of my oversized mens button ups there on sale! you never know what you can find ANYWHERE. if you’ve got the time, why not. hell- there’s a girl on here who wears Hot Topic jeans/pants. i hate Hot Topic… but she has seriously got me wanting to walk in now!

FashFlash
Style_council
FashFlash

If I were in your shoes, I’d probably buy some good basics (a pair of jeans, a simple LBD, a pair of ballerinas etc) and then something that would help me to personalize my look, to make it more interesting. Don’t get stuck in fashions, buy what you like.

Another way to make your wardrobe more interesting, is to buy a simple basic piece of clothing and then customize it yourself. You get ant opportunity to be creative and the outcome is unique.

Good luck with building your wardrobe!

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

While basics are all well and good, they’re something that you may bore of after a while, so as well as buying the basics, also buy less basic stuff that you can fit your basics around (For example, a bright coloured or printed cotton bodycon style minidress. You can wear basics like blazers and jackets over it, or you can throw a loose t-shirt over it and use it as a miniskirt, or put on a longer skirt over and use it as a top). In short, get fun multi-functional stuff as well as basics.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION