Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Pink_Champagne
Style_council
Pink_Champagne

So which is your favorite decade (or historic time period) for vintage clothing? In the artistic sense, I love the Rococo style of dress (like what Marie Antoinette wore) and the gowns in the Elizabethan era. My favorite decades of vintage clothing to actually wear are the 1920’s, 1950’s, and 1980’s, though I think each decade has a certain admirable quality and aspect that can be found in my wardrobe.

Also, what are some of your favorite elements or aspects of each of the decades of the 20th century?

(Here’s mine:)

1920’s: long neckalces, long fringe, art noveau jewelry, sequins and feathers. I especially like the headbands and jewelry. anything flamboyant or outrageous!

1930’s: this is one of the decades i’m not too terribly familiar with, but I love the bias-cut long flowing gowns and evening dresses. so graceful and elegant!

1940’s: i love the little feathered hair fascintors, and the red lipstick. i love looking at 1940’s clothes and retro, but overall, it’s a little too uptight and structured for my personal taste.

1950’s: i really adore the 1950’s sillouette. fitted tops with an emphasized waist with full skirts look great on my body shape! =) i love the frilly tulle prom dresses, the bombshell swimsuits, the day dresses, and the evening gowns. my only concern with this decade is that sometimes things got a little too matchy and conservative (most everyone wore an outfit that consisted of marceled hair, red lipstick, fitted top, full skirt and high heeled pumps) but mixed in with today’s look, the 50’s can look quite creative and eclectic

1960’s: i’m not a huge fan of the edgy twiggy look with the brightly colored mindresses and oversized jewelry, but beehive hairstyles can look pretty good sometimes. i really like the hippy clothes in the late 60’s

1970’s: i love the bohemian and the hippy styles. flowered maxi dresses, fringed, headbands, and foreign-looking jewelry and beads. i wouldn’t wear this look head to toe, but the 70’s have some great conponents that can be mixed into and outfit.

1980’s: love the 80’s! from leather jackets, to floral rompers, to lacy tights and loads of jewelry, this is what i would consider one of the most creative decades in the 20th century. even in this day and age, a head to toe 80’s look can be pulled off when put together carefully. a floral romper with a leather jacket, teased hair, and metallic jewelry can look great! i think a lot of today’s contemporary fashions mirror the styles of the 80’s.

1990’s: it’s funny, i remember growing up in the 90’s! and now it is officially accepted as a vintage decade! i’m getting anciently old!! gets out cane anyway, i do appreciate some things from the 90’s: the floral grunge look, combat platform boots, side ponytails, hair flowers and bows (though not the oversized scruchines…eww!!) and the whole polka dot trend.

So I would love to hear your views on these decades, as well as which decades you like the most! =)

posted over 4 years ago
julstimes2
Style_council
julstimes2

I like the 90s. 1890s.

posted over 4 years ago

Starhill
Style_council
Starhill

all hehe!!!

posted over 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

20s: love the jewelery, long necklaces, gloves, headpieces, art deco!! …unfortunately i don’t think the flapper style suits my body type :P
30s and 40s: don’t really know much about these decades haha!
50s: LOVE the 50s pin up/ bombshell/ rockabilly styles. love the circle skirts, cinched waists. I agree that the 50s was quite conservative and I don’t really enjoy the 50s mentality of how women should be the perfect housewife :/ but I love the modern day adaptions of 50s style clothing.
60s: love how fashion rules were broken- eg with the invention of the miniskirt!! love twiggy, but again shift dresses look horrible on me :P
70s: i like the whole bohemian, free spirit look, but it’s not my personal style. not a fan of the flares for men either haha!!
80s: i like some styles of the 80s- like the lace, puffy shoulders, big hair, big skirts, acid wash, all in moderation of course :P but not a big fan of some of the other fashion like neon and legwarmers hehe
90s: love the grunge look, especially the floral dresses, ripped jeans

posted over 4 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

i love the 50s and loathe the 80s.

posted over 4 years ago

sliponroses
Style_council
sliponroses

Every decade has something good to offer in my opinion. Although I’m not fond of the 90’s or the 70’s

posted over 4 years ago

browneyes
Style_council
browneyes

1700’s & 1960’s are my favorite and biggest inspiration

posted over 4 years ago

vanilla04
Style_council
vanilla04

I like the way you gave your opinion about vintage clothing. I’m a huge fan of vintage things. I adore 1920’s and 1960’s, but I’m crazy about old jewellery from 19. century too. I love cameo pendants.

posted over 4 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I don’t know much about fashion before the 1950s so I can’t comment on them but there’s at least one thing I like from every decade since.

1950s- I love the figure emphasising looks of the 50s, the cinched in waists, the girlie colours, full skirts, high waisted styles, the swimsuits. What I love most about the 50s is how the trends have translated so well into fashion in modern day society and how the silhouettes of 50s style clothing promote a healthy body image.

1960s- The 60s isn’t a decade that I’m particularly keen on, but I think the brightly coloured mini dresses and go-go boots are pretty cool.

1970s- I absolutely love the whole 70s disco style. The decade of bellbottoms, bright prints, sequins and jumpsuits, what’s not to like? The whole crazyness of it is what appeals to me most. Unlike with clothing from most decades which have been modernized in recent fashion and had their unique edge taken away a bit, the 70s disco look is still totally unique and the kind of clothing that when you put it on you really feel like you’re in the 70s.

1980s- It seems like every trend from the 80s has been revived in the last few years, and while some of those trends have been bad (like neon tutus, shell suits, gym clothes as everyday wear), some of those trends are very good and became wardrobe staples for the 21st century (like leggings, skinny jeans and oversized t-shirts). I think my favourite thing about the 80s is that people took risks and nothing was unacceptable.

1990s- Having actually lived through the whole of the 90s, I can safely say that the majority of 90s trends should stay dead and buried unless they are majorly revamped (like spice girl style platform sneakers, trousers with the skirt attached over the top, unflattering multi coloured prints) but you can’t beat 90s grunge, I’m so glad that has been revived.

posted over 4 years ago

GingerGamine
Style_council
GingerGamine

40s – 70s.. All my favorites.

posted over 4 years ago

kelseykelsey
Style_council
kelseykelsey

50s-70s and some 80s. love hippy stuff!

posted over 4 years ago

WiesOudshoorn
Style_council
WiesOudshoorn

gosh there are things i love about every decade!
twenties superlong silhouettes
fifties petticoats
sixties tight dresses
seventies hippie look
eighties leather jackets
i dunno, how can you not love any of these things!?

posted over 4 years ago

Bennie52491
Style_council
Bennie52491

I love the 60s and 70s

posted over 3 years ago

AnindhitaRustiyan
Style_council
AnindhitaRus...

I like the 80’s and 90’s. because I have a lot of thrift stuff from my aunt from that decades. haha. and they are fabulous! lucky me to have a same body with my aunt when she was a teenager. <3

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION