Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Shortgirlstyle
Style_council
Shortgirlstyle

Ok, here is a really great DIY (do it yourself).

So leggings are comfortable and fun and we all sold out an bought some, but now legging shorts (i.e. “biker shorts”) are in vogue. So simply take some of your old leggings (especially if you actually bought some capri style ones because those are never cute) and lay them flat, folded over so that the ends lay perfectly together. Then measure how short you want them. The look we are going for is really not booty shorts so make sure you keep them at least 5 or 6 inches from the crotch. Then cut them with fabric scissors and make sure you cut parallel with the direction of the previous hem (you can even fold up the ends to make sure). Then if you have a sewing machine do a zig-zag stitch to finish off the ends (this is the easiest way to make sure they can stretch without snapping).

Here is the best part! When you are done take the leftovers and cut a section from where ever on the leggings is the perfect size for your head and ta-da! A new cotton headband! If you make shorts out of some of the more crazy metallic leggings then this makes a really cool headband… and it isn’t too hard to finish a headband off but you might have to hand stitch so the raw edges are on the inside…

posted about 5 years ago
kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

Does anyone know of any decent DIY websites? So far all I’ve been able to find are ones that just hack up a t-shirt and tie it a different way, but I’m looking for actual well-fitting, good-looking, innovative ways to re-purpose clothes.

posted about 5 years ago

OliviaNicole
Style_council
OliviaNicole

I love threadbanger.com!

posted about 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

craftster.org

whatthecraft.com

posted about 5 years ago

BeijingBelle
Style_council
BeijingBelle

cutoutandkeep.net

Highly recommended.

posted about 5 years ago

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

craftster.net is also very popular. :)

re: the general topic raised…
While I’m big into DIY, I’m not really seeing why we’d need a DIY section on chictopia. I’ve found there are bigger, better places devoted entirely to DIY. There you can display your DIY creations and get help for making things.

Those sites have a much larger user base that is specifically focused only on DIY, allowing for more detailed discussions on the subject. While this site seems to be just for sharing style looks and inspiration, more about completed looks or overall style.

I think trying to start a whole DIY section in the forum or the image gallery here would just result in both diluting this site and frustrating users since they’re not going to get the depth or wealth of DIY info here compared to the sites mentioned.

That said, it seems people can still show their DIY fashion here as part of their completed outfit or trend. And I really hope they do! :)

posted almost 5 years ago

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

oops! that should be http://www.craftster.org/ not .net

posted almost 5 years ago

MissSmile1423
Style_council
MissSmile1423

There are some really good DIY blogs on tumblr, and there is a whole tag dedicated to it!

posted almost 3 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

A vote for chictopia to having a DIY section!

_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

I would vote yes for a DIY section. Check out a book at urbanoutfitters or even ebay if its no longer in stores called “P.S. i made this”. A book full of DIY.

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

http://apair-andaspare.blogspot.com/

I visit her’s religiously and she has more DIY bloggers listed on her page as well

kia
Style_council
kia

Love DIY and would LOVE for chictopia to have a section for it!

tippiford
Style_council
tippiford

Youtube also has tons of tutorials.

posted almost 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION