Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
kayla_kayla77
New_user kayla_kayla77 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When kayla_kayla77 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
kayla_kayla77

I’m moving four hours away from my home for college in August. I don’t have much clothing to begin with, and won’t have a huge amount of money to buy new ones with. So how much should I bring? Like how many shirts, pants, dresses, etc? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just have no idea what to bring!

Also, what do most girls wear at your college/school? I’ve heard that most girls just wear pjs or sweats to class and don’t really bother with fashion.

posted over 3 years ago
MitziBlitz
Style_council
MitziBlitz

It’s true that a lot of girls just wear sweats and pjs to class in college, but I find wearing “actual clothes” makes you stand out more. If you go to a thrift store and try on things that appeal to you, you’ll be able to expand your wardrobe and explore your own personal style on a very small budget!
The most important thing is to feel good in your own skin, so don’t step too far out of your comfort zone. But I find people seem more fun when they stand out a bit!

Hope this is helpful, have fun!

posted over 3 years ago

laurenkay
Style_council
laurenkay

Yeahhh. i see girls in sweats and pjs and track shorts all the time. I kinda wish people would put themselves together a little more. I find it sad that the guys on campus wear pretty clothes than our ladies.

posted over 3 years ago

AnindhitaRustiyan
Style_council
AnindhitaRus...

a tons of girls who wear shirt, jeans and flat shoes or sneakers here.
50% wear jeans, shirt and flat shoes/sneakers
25% adding jacket/cardigans
10% wear dresses
10% wear something cute and fashionable

I think I’m the one of who wear something cute. hehe. I have one piece of each basic clothes, and each trends so I can mix them up to be something different without against my college rules. be creative! :)

posted over 3 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Hmmm… I would bring as much clothing as I could! haha :P
At my uni (in Australia so it’s different to the US..) most people dress quite casually, but there aren’t that many people who wear sweats to class. The Jeans, top and cardigan combo is pretty common, but heaps of people wear skirts, shorts and cute dresses too with boots or oxfords.
Bring clothes that you will be able to mix and match with, if you don’t have much room. Work out which basics + items you get the most wear out of, which could include stuff like skinny jeans, coat, cardigans, plain tshirts, denim shorts, black skirt, dresses, flats, sneakers, boots. But you should also bring some non-basic, eye-catching items, that could be things like a floral dress, bright patterned skirt or a nice jacket. And bring some heels and a couple of nice dresses for parties!

posted over 3 years ago

IHeartStilettos
Style_council
IHeartStilettos

I was just like you, and thrift stores saved me!

posted over 3 years ago

ZandiseAyan
New_user ZandiseAyan is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When ZandiseAyan reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
ZandiseAyan

thanks for the tip….

posted over 3 years ago

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

I brought as many clothes as would fit! Definitely bring a lot of winter/layering clothes depending on where you’re going. And there are a lot of girls who wear sweats to class, but I refuse to be one of them. I’ve never understood why that’s allowed. I mean, I’ll wear yoga pants to yoga class or dance class (I’m in theatre, so I have to take a lot of movement stuff), but I’ll ALWAYS change back to real clothes for the other classes. It also depends on your professors and class sizes. If your’e going to be in a bunch of huge lectures where you don’t know anybody, then pjs once in a while might not matter. But all of my classes are small and filled with my friends and people I know, so I would never want to look like a slob everyday in front of them.

posted over 3 years ago

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

dresses are EXACTLY what every college girl should have a ton of! It’s so easy to just pick one and leave instead of taking forever to match a whole outfit together. And it always looks like you put effort into what you’re wearing. cute flats are also super important. I VERY rarely wear heels to class (on the days when I know I can take the bus around campus).

posted over 3 years ago

kelleyscloset17
Style_council
kelleyscloset17

Buy plenty of boots and flats..College campus walking is no fun lol make sure your comfortable and fashionable at the same time :)

kelleyscloset17.blogspot.com

posted over 3 years ago

xokeishaxo
Style_council
xokeishaxo

I actually attended a school that banned pajamas from the cafeteria and I think a couple of the departments banned “anything you’d sleep in” which was very nice.

Here, girls dress like crap. This morning I actually adopted the nickname Gremlins for a lot of the girls in my program which is sad because we study retail and fashion….but it’s their business I guess.

Find comfortable pieces. For me this coming spring season it is oversize, flowy blouses and tons of dresses. I’m actually more comfortable wearing heels than flats but I do have a ton of cute flats for “lazy” days. During the fall I go for lots of cardigans with nice shirts and boots.

I’m not against girls that wear tshirts and jeans. Honestly. I AM against girls that wear their boyfriends’ clothes, leggings as pants, sweats that don’t match, etc. Like if you want to be comfortable can’t you buy a matching little outfit from Express? If you have the money for Northface jackets (gag me) then you can dress a little better….
posted over 3 years ago

suuperlaur
New_user suuperlaur is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When suuperlaur reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
suuperlaur

When I moved to college, I brought pretty much all the clothes I wore on a day-to-day basis. You definitely need things for a variety of events. I would definitely recommend thrifting if you’re on a budget- you will be amazed at the kind of things you can find for such low prices!

Most of the girls at my university are quite stylish. I would definitely recommend getting a lot of casual dresses and comfortable, floaty things. You can double up a lot of outfits, wearing them in the day to classes, and wearing them differently at night.

I would also recommend going for a lot of basics, not brightly patterned things which are distinctive and obvious if you wear them a lot. Hope this helps, good luck at school!

posted over 3 years ago

TheTowerSentry
Style_council
TheTowerSentry

I see most girls wearing fashionable tops with jeans and flats or flipflops.

posted about 3 years ago

merxtopia
New_user merxtopia is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When merxtopia reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
merxtopia

It depends on whatever you feel like wearing. But for me, as long as it’s comfortable and you don’t feel stupid that’s okayyy! :)
Here’s a sample of what I wore during our campus tour: http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/469411-Floral+consciousness-zara-cardigan

posted about 3 years ago

name_sake
Style_council
name_sake

Im going away to college as well in august, and from what I have talked to people about it depends on where you are going. Some schools are “fashonable” and people will dress up others you will be surprised to see some of your classmates brushed thier hair that day. You also dont need to bring EVERYTHING in on move in day depending on where you go. bring your witner stuff with you on your way home from thanksgiving break or something. Good luck at school!!

posted about 3 years ago

thesimpletheory
Style_council
thesimpletheory

for the most part, the clothes i wear to class were fairly casual. there are some girls who really took their time to put their outfits together… but the majority would wear jeans, sweats, leggings, t-shirts, sweaters, etc. in the beginning of the year, people are more picky with what they wear but by exams, you wear whatever is clean because you’re going to need all the time you can get to study for your finals, hahaha

posted about 3 years ago

justpeachy22
Style_council
justpeachy22

i usually wear sweats..some days, and then other days i mix it up. i would suggest keeping a few things handy..boots, tights, leggings and shresses. they are my faves anyways :D

posted about 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION