Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

My Nikon D40 – which I’ve had for two years – recently started displaying a “shutter error” message. If I open the camera and slightly move a red gear, it works, but only for about ten exposures. I’ve received estimate quotes from a few repair shops, and nothing was under $180. That seems a little ridiculous since I paid $250 for the camera – used, granted – but I’ve had it for two years and it’s since become “outdated” though it has served me fine.

My birthday just passed and I received a small sum of money that would cover a repair OR a new camera body. I’ve been looking on Craigslist and refurbished models at nearby shops, and a used D3000 goes for about $300. I’ve also come across a D80, which is a better model, but just as old as my D40. That’s $300 as well.

I really DON’T have enough money to purchase a new body, as much as I’d like to, so that’s out of the question. I’d like to spend as little as possible, but if it doesn’t make sense to stick with my D40, I’d be willing to shell out the money for a newer model.

Thanks!

posted over 3 years ago
HelenZ
Style_council
HelenZ

How about selling your existing slightly damaged D40 and use your birthday money to buy a new camera all together? Camera technology seems to advance fairly quickly from year to year, so it may be worthwhile to invest in a newer model.

posted over 3 years ago

ohlivia
Style_council
ohlivia

I have a D60 and I’ve tried the D3000… don’t do it. The quality is bad and it’s too bulky. Go with the D80.

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION