SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
TAGS:  imageslightphotography
discofabulous
Style_council
discofabulous

What time of the day is it best to take outdoor style pictures? Is it better to have the sun behind you, in front of you, or above you?

posted over 1 year ago
ourMode
Style_council
ourMode

The best time of day to take outdoor photos is when there’s still ample light out (so before 4pm). And the best photos are actually taken when its overcast and cloudy. Having the sun out messes with the lighting a bit. I know its counterintuitive, but that’s what we’ve learned!

posted over 1 year ago

edgeofjade
Style_council
edgeofjade

I usually take photos during the afternoon. At least 2 hours before sunset. The lighting is just enough and there isn’t too much sun to mess up your lighting.

posted over 1 year ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I live in Seattle so that might change things, but I’ve found that usually around 2pm is the best time for photos. The sun isn’t quite as bright, but there’s still plenty.

posted over 1 year ago

priscillaraq
Style_council
priscillaraq

I find that around noon til 2pm works perfectly. The lighting really isn’t my best friend afterwards. The seasons also have something to do with it because during the summer I can literally go all day long whereas during the winter I only get about 2 to 4 hours on a good day.

posted over 1 year ago

ElloLove77
Style_council
ElloLove77

Just before the sun goes down is my favorite time. If you shoot with the sun behind you and use a fill flash, you can get gorgeous pics with a sunset background.

posted over 1 year ago

fashionophile
Style_council
fashionophile

I like taking pictures around 4 pm so the sun is not right above our heads anymore. It creates soft shadows and the light is more even thus creating pretty good shots.

posted over 1 year ago

gwynethbg
Style_council
gwynethbg

I take pictures with the sun directly infrpnt of me.

posted over 1 year ago

LittleBee
Forum_moderator
LittleBee

In photography there’s this thing called “the golden hour”. It is the first and last hour of sunlight during the day. You can achieve high quality and dramatic photos during those hours. Since sunrise is usually too early for me, I prefer the hour before the sun sets.

posted 10 months ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

I’m with ourMode on this. I think the easiest way for me to take quick pictures of myself is during an overcast, because the lights wouldn’t be all over the place. Otherwise the “magic hour” works too.

posted 10 months ago

daniellebrns
Style_council
daniellebrns

Some photographers refer to it as golden hour. Usually between 5-7.

posted 10 months ago

AnikaBurke
Shop_seller_2 AnikaBurke is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
AnikaBurke

On all the shoots I have worked on best images are taken when we are almost out of light right before the sun goes down.

posted 6 months ago

krissalem
Style_council
krissalem

Never take pictures at noon when the sunlight is harsh ! Depending on the effects you want sunset is dramatic and morning is soft <3

posted 5 months ago

jamiexxii
Style_council
jamiexxii

take photos 1 hour before the sun sets... high noon sunlight is bad for outdoor photos, because it has top lighting.

posted 3 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION