Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
loosethreads
Style_council
loosethreads

So, i don’t have very many friends who are well into photography to produce a great quality picture. And the friends that I do have, well.. I don’t feel comfortable posing for them.

I’m planning on investing in a tiny tripod to carry around with me, but I feel awkward taking pictures with a tripod by myself in public places. Anyone have this problem? How’d you get over it? Any other tips on take self portraits? Help!

posted over 3 years ago
EveyHoneysuckle
Style_council
EveyHoneysuckle

I just try to find a flat (or generally sturdy) place that’s about the height of where my camera can get all my body. Like, if there’s a tree with a leveled branch, I’ll slip the wrist band on it, try to steady it, put on the timer, and run like fudge to however far I need to be to get all of me. This picture of mine, I used a level tree and it got most of me: HERE

It’s not awkward per se, most of the time, people just look at you strange for a few seconds and then continue with what they’re doing. If you’re taking pictures where people sit and stay, THEN they’ll be watching because they’re not doing anything. I.E. away from stay-still places like benches haha.

You might want to be careful in case it’s TOO sunny. I run into this all the time when I take outside photos on a beautiful day. The camera will take in so much light and then I can hardly even see myself, so you might have to play with the brightness features on your camera.

Well, I can’t think of anything else, but have fun :)

posted over 3 years ago

zerofussinfo
Style_council
zerofussinfo

I have exactly the same problem. It’s the reason why I’m not posting anything now. I have so many nice things but nobody to snap a picture. I also thought about the tripod but as you said it’s quite awkward to pose and snap myself in public :-)

posted over 3 years ago

stylepint
Style_council
stylepint

I use a tripod and a remote to take photos and I choose more isolated areas to avoid awkward stares but sometimes, you come across random strangers who will watch, but they’re harmless =)

posted over 3 years ago

everydayoutfits
Style_council
everydayoutfits

I usually take my photos at home with a self-timer. If I’m out, I get my boyfriend to take it for me, if he’s willing hehe
I’m uncomfortable with those stares so I usually find a secluded place

posted over 3 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i can’t avoid being seen because i’m on a college campus. i’m looking forward to getting my apt this summer and next year though! i have my bf helps me

posted over 3 years ago

SFStreetStyle
Style_council
SFStreetStyle

Don’t mind everyone looking at you, you’re just embracing your style girly :)
One tip I’d give you is maybe you can create a setting in your room/house, and always shoot your outfit in that one spot so it becomes like a cool consistent style photo spot.

posted over 3 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

I’d say find one indoor spot where the settings stay about the same. This way you can more easily get a steady quality in all your pics. Like the one SF Street Style suggests.

If you want to go outside you will need the nerve and patience to take more than a few shots probably to get what you want. So I wouold graduate myself into outdoors, practise inside and when you have the confidence and know your angles head for the great outdoors :)

posted over 3 years ago

MGNSPR
Style_council
MGNSPR

I get horrible lighting in my apartment so I really prefer to take pics outside. At first I would go to some extremely secluded park or something but every now and again someone would spot me and the awkwardness would kick in. Eventually I just got so wrapped up in what I was doing I learned to ignore any stares. Last weekend I took pics at the beach and although ppl were watching it didn’t bother me. I feel the more you put yourself out there, like so many other things, the more comfortable you’ll get with outdoor pics.

posted over 3 years ago

effervescentevelina
Style_council
effervescent...

For me, I always take outdoor photos in places that I know are… (1) secluded, with hardly any people; and (2) has a flat surface for me to put my camera. BTW, you can buy mini tripods at the dollar store – that’s where I got mine. :)

posted over 3 years ago

teribi
Style_council
teribi

haha! i can relate so much with you… it feels really awkward especially if you reside here in metro manila, you might as well get mugged while taking a self fashion photo shoot…, it’s really best if you take photo shoots of yourself in parks, where it’s a bit safer…

posted over 3 years ago

sensenotcents
Style_council
sensenotcents

i can understand where you are coming from. but i would sugest taking a close friend. show her/him what you are doing and what youre into so that they get a better understanding. then, she can take the shots (if she likes photography) or guard the camera on self timer. in public places it wouldn’t be uncommon for someone to steal a camera from an unsuspecing fashionista. best way to go perhaps! & then go out for drinks after <3

posted over 3 years ago

alinaceusan
Style_icon
alinaceusan

I find myself sometimes in this situation …and as my bf takes my pictures in the city is okei. But sometimes I have to go out and ask my sister to shoot me and we’re searching for places that are not so populated, cuz here in Romania people look at you anyway akward on the street so it’s kinda difficult. Anyway sometimes we wait for people to go and them take the shot in order not to enter the background. I would like to have someone passioned for photography and take my pics everyday. arghhh

posted over 3 years ago

xenii
Style_council
xenii

If your room is big enough maybe invest in a really nice fabric you like, and sew a new pair of curtains for yourself :) it’s a lovely background in your own home where you’re comfortable. :) I agree it is quite awkward to take pictures of yourself in public, even if someone else is taking them. My dad is a part time photographer, so I understand haha :P

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION