Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
HelenZ
Style_council
HelenZ

I recently started getting more serious with taking nice photos outside. One thing I’m curious about is how to get the blurry background effect when taking a photo. I have a canon rebel, and the base lens that comes with it. Is there anything special I need to do in the setting?

posted over 4 years ago
InBetweenSeams
Style_council
InBetweenSeams

Depends on which Rebel you have. I have a Canon t1i and when I’m taking a photo under the custom setting, it gives me an option to have everything in focus, or only the subject therefor making the background blurry.

x E / In Between Seams

posted over 4 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Stop down! Using a lower aperture/fstop does the trick, though it works better with a wider angle. I’m not sure what lens you have, but I’ll assume 18-55mm f/3.5 since that’s the standard for Nikon. For some reason, my camera would rarely let me go below f/5, so I invested in a 50mm f/1.8 lens… the lower the f/stop, the more blurred the background is. However, I did indeed manage to get some good shots with blurred backgrounds with the kit lens, so you shouldn’t need to buy a new lens!

posted over 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Set the camera on Av (aperture) mode, and use the widest Fstop possible, so use a lower number. I think it also helps if the background is far away from the subject, you use a long focal length on your camera (so zoom it in so it’s closer to 55mm) and then take the photo a short distance away from the person, so there is a shallow depth of field.
I have a Canon 400D with the normal 18-55mm lens and it only goes down to about F4 so although I can get a bit of blur for outfit shots, it’s not as much as I want, so I’m thinking of buying another lens for it! Hope that helps!

posted over 4 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

oh I’ve always wondered about that but I have an old camera so I can’t do it xP

posted over 4 years ago

Rajguru_ONeill
Style_council
Rajguru_ONeill

i personally use a 50mm F1.7 minolta pancake lens and it does absolute wonders in terms of bokeh/really blurry backgrounds, here’s an example

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION