SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Pets

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ashalily
Style_council
ashalily

My cat weighs 18 pounds even though he has been on diet food for a while and we make sure that he gets a lot of play time. How do i get him to a healthier wieght and what would a healthier weight be?

posted about 3 years ago
OmniDimensional
Style_council
OmniDimensional

does he drink a lot of water? i had a retarded cat, literally, and he was on food that would help keep him slim but soon after switching him to the adult food he got super fat and it was because he wouldnt drink water! he didnt know how to or something! water would sit in his bowl for days and i would have to change it. not fill it up, because it would get gross. i have a new kitty and she isnt retarded and she drinks a lot of water and she eats the same food he did and is the same breed and she is really slim. so maybe your cat is retarded! haha just kidding but you should make sure he does because that may be one reason he is fat. or maybe it is just naturally a fatass! some cats are xP and it may just be his breed some cats just do not have good metabolisms. Also he may be lacking something as well. wow, i sound like a crazy cat lady!

posted about 3 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

definitely check with your vet, because it totally depends on your cat. even if he’s on diet food, you should still restrict when/how much you feed him—which I’m sure you do already. has he always been big as far as you know, or did he recently gain a lot of weight?

posted about 3 years ago

ashalily
Style_council
ashalily

we feed him twice a day a minimal amount but not to the point of starving and he drinks water like its going out of style :) he just kind of slowly put on weight but he is just over a year old now.

posted about 3 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

Actually if the animal changes it’s drinking habits it might be a sign of health issues. Specially drinking more than usual.

Know plenty of cat owners that have succesfully managed to get their pets on a diet and living healthy. It just takes time. After about 3 months if you see no change see a vet.

Also give the cat lots of stimulating toys and things to enjoy throughout the day. Some animals do start eating/sleeping or even wrecking/being a nuisance and so on when they are frustrated, bored or avoiding something.

posted about 3 years ago

mare_santos
Style_council
mare_santos

play with him/her, fat is energy non-used, feed him a little per day, don;t let a bunch of food stand there, i’m guessing is a neutered cat, therefore its hormones declined, so its not that active , so it eats out of boredom and it gains weight, play with it, let it go out and then pick it right up, change its routine, less food, more action

posted over 2 years ago

aliceka
New_user aliceka is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When aliceka reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
aliceka

Our oldest cat is 10 pounds while our youngest is 5. Our oldest goes out and eats food put out for other cats in the neighbourhood whereas our youngest stays in and so only eats what she’s given.

posted over 2 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

try a different type of food that is healthier for your cat!

posted over 2 years ago

claudiakitten
Style_council
claudiakitten

thats not too bad… my boyfriends cat weighed thirty pounds :O

@ Aliceka-that’s super funny and adorable:)

posted over 2 years ago

Jenmeli8
Style_council
Jenmeli8

….

posted over 2 years ago

Rayy
Style_council
Rayy

try to ask your vet definetly, it could be manny reasons but i really think you should change its food

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION