Forum
SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Pets

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
themyriade
New_user themyriade is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When themyriade reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
themyriade

I’m personally not a fan of buying a dog/cat, I think that it would be much better to adopt just because there are so many animals already. Also, puppy farms are terrible! Or cat farms,… if they have them.

posted almost 3 years ago
JizoandChibi
Style_council
JizoandChibi

We only adopt dogs… they are the BEST dogs in the world. Happy, grateful, smart — even if you cannot adopt a dog or cat, the rescue organizations love to have great people come and volunteer to hold a dog at an adoption fair (usually at a pet store or farmer’s market venue)…so that people can meet the dog and you tell them the story of how the dog was rescued. It is so rewarding, till you get to have a dog of your own.

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I agree that adopting is much better than buying—if I ever had dogs I would definitely adopt. but at the same time, not all breeders are evil puppy farmers (you do need a license), and some people just like specific breeds for whatever reason.

the animals I feel most sorry for are the ones from pet stores, because you know they came from mills—yeah places like Petco don’t sell cats or dogs, but what about their barely socialized birds and lizards and whatnot?

nancy1991
Style_council
nancy1991

adopting

fashionaddict1989
New_user fashionaddict1989 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When fashionaddict1989 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
fashionaddic...

Well i guess i’ll be the odd ball out. I BOUGHT my pomeranian and i couldnt be happier. The reason be i wanted a specific dog that i could be mobile with and i love their traits.

fashionaddict1989
New_user fashionaddict1989 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When fashionaddict1989 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
fashionaddic...

add note Breeders get bad reps, not all of them are puppy mills. I personally bought mine from a groomer that bred on the side. I was with him since he was four weeks old and the groomer let me visit him every week until he was eight weeks old and i could finally take him home. Adopting is a great cause and i dont knock it, but i just wanted to get a dog that i knew wasnt going to get very big and i wanted to raise him from a pup.

BleakandWet
Style_council
BleakandWet

I remember walking into a pet store and seeing these amazingly cute puppies (they were really wrinkled, but I don’t know the breed), but then I noticed that they all had bloodshot eyes and had tears continually running out, but none of the store owners seemed to care. I think my heart just broke for them. Who knows where those puppies came from. Puppy farms are terrible and incredibly cruel places and many of the provide pretty much all of the dogs you see in pet stores. Definitely adopt, because by buying you are supporting these puppy farms and they’ll just continue to keep innocent dogs in disgusting conditions just for money.

But if you look around, there are always some reputable sellers who actually care about animals.

Chris213
Style_council
Chris213

I agree that adopting dogs is a better option. We fell in love with a dog in pet store though and could not leave him. Once we got him home, we suspected he had been a puppy mill because he had several issues. However if you are looking for a specific type of dog (we needed a hypoallergenic dog) sometimes it is really hard to find those types of dogs in shelters. I LOVE my dog, but next time I think I will definitely check out a pet rescue and just be a little more patient and persistent.

trinnah
Style_council
trinnah

My husband is afraid of dogs. After spending 5 years trying to talk him into getting one, he finally said yes, but only if he got to pick. We ended up buying a puppy at a pet store. I think if we had adopted one who was already with a different owner before, he would have probably panicked. He’s a little bit better now. He’s still wary when it comes to touching our dog unless it’s on the back or near the butt area. If it was up to me, I wouldn’t mind adopting, but I had to put his fear into consideration, which is why we bought Kobe. :)

TinaStefanovic
Style_council
TinaStefanovic

I think firstly, people shouldn’t buy pets if they’re not able to (or just don’t want to) take good care of them. But as the number of careless people grows up constantly, I prefer adopting to buying pets.

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

@Tina definitely agree with you about the commitment. I think some people forget that dogs are like a ~15 year commitment. my neighbor has two huge, loud dogs—the owners never take care of them, they just let them chill in the backyard, give them food, and let them go on walks maybe once a week. because they’re so attention-starved and bored, all they do is bark 24/7 and harass us when we walk up our driveway (they’re not very friendly).

Stylatouille
New_user Stylatouille is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When Stylatouille reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Stylatouille

My boyfriend and me adopted two dogs last year. Of course, there are many troubled dogs in the shelters and for those troubled dogs, I think you really do need to have prior experience with owning dogs. I didn’t have this much experience, so we just looked a little longer until we found dogs that didn’t seem to have much behavioral problems. They’re now with us for almost a year and they’re the best dogs in the world. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a dog, adopting really is the best in my opinion :)

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

You can still find puppies, even purebreds, that are not from puppy farms. You just have to do your research. I got my doggy, Frida, from a lady who just decided she was gonna breed her dog. I really wanted a chihuahua at the time, but this lady had corgi/chihuahua mix puppies. It was destiny, because I grew up with corgis, so my dog is perfect for me.

Also, sometimes the people who advertise puppies in the paper are just trying to give away or sell puppies that are the product of the day their dog escaped the yard or got off their leash. Those puppies need to be adopted as badly as the dogs in the animal shelters.

byWoodsandWater
Style_council
byWoodsandWater

Personally, I used to work at several pet stores (I love animals!) Now I’m not saying all are like this but many times we received cats and dogs from questionable places, and they were sometimes too young to take away from their mothers (too young to sell too, so we’d keep them in the back….). Getting a dog from the spca, a recognized breeder, or farmer (not a puppy farm) even are all better options. You know you’re giving your money to good people who treat animals fairly.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION