Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

For some reason, the common opinion seems to be that long hair is unfashionable and it’s okay to tell people with long hair what they “should” do with their hair. “You should cut your hair! It’s way too long!” “You should donate your hair to Locks of Love!” (Oh, don’t even get me started on the hair donating rant…)

I want to know who came up with this arbitrary rule that anything past elbow length is “too” long. Too long for what?

So, I guess this is going to be a long hair appreciation thread? I’m wondering if there’s anyone else on Chictopia with notably long hair. I haven’t seen many, but out of all the users there must be some with, say, waist-length hair. Maybe even someone else with knee-length hair like mine.

Any other longhairs out there? Make yourselves known! :)

posted about 3 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I recently cut my hair so it’s not as long, but before I did it it was to my waist when it was wavy and a little past my hips when I straightened it. (My recent posts are with my long hair, if you’re curious).

Overall I think I got more compliments than criticisms, but, yes, I am familiar with the “don’t you think it’s getting too long?” and “when are you going to cut it/donate it?” questions.
I think the worst was actually my mom, who always told me it made me look too young and I would never be hired for work unless I had like some Hillary Clinton hairdo. (Sorry Mom, it’s not the early ’80s anymore; women can look like women in the workplace!).

I think people often just like to criticize anything that is outside the range of “normal” (forgetting of course that it’s none of their business!). It sounds like women with very short hair get just as many criticisms and odd questions, like that they must feel unfeminine or unsexy or no guys will be attracted to them. But how boring would it be if everyone had the exact same haircut? I say as long as you’re happy with it, do whatever you like!

posted about 3 years ago

striker
Style_council
striker

Most of my life my hair has been really long. At least elbow lenght. Currently my hair is only a little past my shoulders. I cut it into a “bob” recently and i did donate it (i do that every time i cut it because i go long periods without trimming it). and while i liked the cut, the whole time i was wishing i had my long hair back. I do think there are people who would agree that long hair is unfashionable but I had so many people tell me i was crazy for cutting my hair. I work in retail and i had customers make me swear to never cut my hair again. So there will always be people who prefer short hair, but then there will always be those who love long hair too. As long as your hair is healthy looking it shouldn’t matter how long your hair is.

posted about 3 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

My hair is currently halfway between my nipples and bellybutton (when it’s brushed) and I’m trying to grow it to my waist. I cut it once when I was 14 to my shoulders (looked TERRIBLE) and used to have it routinely trimmed to “help it grow”…stupidest beauty myth out there. If you want your hair to grow, DON’T CUT IT, PERIOD. Your hair grows from the TOP of your head, not the bottom. Frayed ends are exactly that, frayed, but if you keep chopping them off your hair will maintain about the same length.

posted about 3 years ago

Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

MurasakiNeko: That’s silly for your mom to say, because long hair can easily be pulled into a professional bun.

Yeah, really short hair on women gets criticized for being “unfeminine,” which is even worse, in my opinion—it’s saying that women are supposed to act out a gender role, and assumes that they care whether men find them attractive in the first place.

Striker: Yeah, there are always those people who love long hair, too. Some people would probably cry if I cut it (and some would probably celebrate :P ).

Janelle: So true! It’s totally not necessary to trim your hair often. Sometimes, I might trim mine twice a year if the ends get damaged. But there are ways to take care of your hair so the ends don’t need to be trimmed often. Most people make the mistake of thinking that tapered or thin ends are unhealthy, which is not necessarily the case. And it’s not true that trimming makes it grow back faster.

posted about 3 years ago

priscillaraq
Style_council
priscillaraq

I completely agree! My hair is to my lower back and I’m always asked by unknown people that I should cut my hair. I’m in love with my hair and I don’t plan on cutting it anytime soon, but alot of people judge me for it and say I’m selfish for not wanting to donate it. My sister has way longer hair than I do. It’s almost to her ankles and she’ll often get rude remarks.

click here
That’s my sister.

posted about 3 years ago

Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

Hair envy! Black hair is my favorite. Hers is so sleek and straight, and yours is so full and voluminous. I wish my hair would pick one or the other, it’s a weird in-between. :P

The most ridiculous thing about the notion that it’s selfish to have long hair, is that it means anyone who doesn’t specifically grow out their hair to donate it is selfish. So people with short hair are selfish too. Basically, every person who hasn’t donated hair is selfish.

And, you know, the fact that wigs don’t cure diseases. And that there’s no shortage of wigs. In fact, Locks of Love gets so many donations that they don’t use most of them, and sometimes sell the surplus hair to wigmakers.

posted about 3 years ago

Chris213
Style_council
Chris213

I have almost elbow length hair. I have been growing it out for locks of love (sorry! but I think it’s a good cause) for almost a year. I love having long hair, and don’t see why other people should have a problem with it. However, for me anyways, there does get to be a time when it’s too long. But I don’t think it’s really anyone else’s opinion to tell you when/what you should do with your hair (even though my mother does share her opinion quite frequently on this matter.)

posted about 3 years ago

Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

Aw, don’t apologize for donating your hair! That’s really nice. I’m not against it, I just think it’s dumb when people say that it’s selfish to have long hair. Like you said, it’s no one’s business to tell you what to do with your own hair.

I would suggest donating it to another organization, though, because chances are Locks of Love won’t use it. :-/ There are other ways you can donate hair, but I haven’t researched the other organizations so I can’t tell you off-hand which one would be the best bet. I know that Pantene has a popular hair donation program, not sure if it’s anymore trustworthy.

Here’s an article about hair charities:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html?pagewanted=1&adxnnlx=1327083235-VtEYRVbEk9au0zCR7Vkjpw

It says that Locks of Love gets up to 2,000 donations per week, and then it says that since 1997 (the article was published in 2007) Locks of Love has made 2,000 wigs. So, in 10 years, the number of wigs they made was equal to the number of donations they get in one week? Where is all the rest of the hair?

One thing the article doesn’t mention is that only the most financially needy patients get their wigs for free. Most have to pay for them.

I hope you’re able to find a charity that will put your hair to good use. :) Usually I have to bite my tongue when someone says they’ve already donated hair to LOL, I don’t have the heart to tell them the truth… It’s nice to be able to redirect someone to a better charity for once.

posted about 3 years ago

coloursandcarousels
Style_council
coloursandca...

I’m desperate for long hair, mine seems to be that hair that never grows past a certain point – my shoulders sadly. I’m trying to grow it right now and just refusing to get it cut, no matter how many times people tell me ‘it helps it grow!’.
In my opinion, long hair is perfectly fashionable. With long hair you can create lots of styles that people with shorter hair can’t do! Plus different hairstyles suit different people, I know for a fact that I do NOT suit short hair after a bad experience a few years ago, it just sticks out the side of my head like triangles!
Each to their own I guess! :)

posted about 3 years ago

deflorenflor
Style_council
deflorenflor

I think long hair is good as long as it is well cared for, but not every harstyle suits every person. I like my hair short; I don’t let it grow past shoulder length, even if my mom keeps saying she likes me better with long hair. It is important to like yourself and stop worrying about what other people may think about you.

BTW it takes more than 1 donation of hair to make a wig (I’m not sure how many)

posted about 3 years ago

Chris213
Style_council
Chris213

I read that article and had no idea they just discarded so much of the donated hair, so thanks for bringing that to my attention! I hadn’t really researched the charity (locks of love) at all so I think now I will definitely start to do some research. I still have a couple months to go before I donate, so hopefully I will figure it out before then!

posted about 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION