Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
HighHeelShoes
Style_council
HighHeelShoes

I ask the question because I am definately the wrong side of 30 by a long way. Every magazine I pick up, every blog post I read is aimed at a young market. Even my own blog is aimed at a young market, Hell if I wore some of the clothes I feature on my blog, my friends and family would have me committed ! Clothes for women of my age are so boring ! I wonder what people on here think and have they ever seen blogs that are for the (ahem) mature woman What do you think?

posted over 2 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

It can definitely seem that way, but it’s not necessarily true. Sure, the majority of the people involved in fashion are young, but the real trend-makers, the people who run everything, are much older than the models who are the “face” of the industry. For instance, I can’t think of any fashion magazine editor who is under 30. Most designers are well past 30, as well. I think Vogue is for all ages, because it’s a pretty serious fashion magazine. I would also try W and In Style, although In Style is sometimes more lifestyle than fashion. My favorite though, has got to be Harper’s Bazaar. They’ve got a a regular section dedicated to fashion for all ages!

I’m not 30 yet, but I am blogger-friends with a wonderful group of women who have started a blog community for women over 40. I’m not sure how old you are, but you may fit in with the group! Here is a link to the blog roll: 40+ Blog Roll

posted over 2 years ago

lalipops
Style_council
lalipops

I think fashion has no age. if a person is after 30 and decides to wear boring clothes, it’s their fault. I’ve seen even a short movie or something on youtube that featured ladies over 60 dressed really fashionable(some might say that it was not appropriate for their age) . I’m 22 and I’m planning on looking at my best at 30(hopefully by then I will have the money to wear what I like)

posted over 2 years ago

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

hi!im 36 …when i was in my 20s i didnt have time for fashion so this is my rebound

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I would probably agree that ephemeral trends don’t translate as easily for older women (if you’re 50 you probably won’t wear high-waisted frayed jean shorts)—but you can still use them as inspiration for your own outfits. I feel like most powerful women in the fashion industry are older.

fashion and style—separate from trends—are ageless. it’s always inspiring to see much-older women with impeccable taste in apparel.

posted over 2 years ago

BleakandWet
Style_council
BleakandWet

No one is too old for style! As long as you wear what is flattering, follow the trends to your heart’s desire :)

posted over 2 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

It’s for everyone!just look at celebrities even the older ones are always fashionable. Just think about Madonna who is 50 something

posted over 2 years ago

Vintageholic
Style_council
Vintageholic

Dita Von Teese is 40+ and is a perfect style icon.

posted about 2 years ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

If one has the looks for younger fashion than it is fine.
I think fashion and style are dictated more by what flatters one’s figure and not so much age.

When you hear people criticized about their choice of style, it is usually cause they just do not have the body for certain things.

I think only in extreme cases should one avoid styles common for the late teen and 20 something crowd. Well like you would not want to see your grandmother wearing stuff she found at Forever 21.

posted about 2 years ago

rhemel
Style_council
rhemel

no way, it`s for everybody!

posted about 2 years ago

chicat60
Style_council
chicat60

Of course not! I see women in my age bracket (50 60’s) shopping ALL the time at stores like Anthro and H & M and Old Navy, as well as the traditional shops like Macy’s.. I think the biggest obstacle to older women getting into fashion is body size - unfortunately middle age usually brings weight gain and that precludes wearing a number of styles. HOWEVER, if a woman is trim and well groomed, there’s a lot she can do! That’s why I love Chictopia — I’m 60, but seeing all kinds of looks that I think I can wear without looking pathetic…. come visit and give me your opinion?

posted about 2 years ago

GrazingFashion
Style_council
GrazingFashion

There’s no age limit for Fashion. You can look as glamorous however you want to be whether you’re 20 or you’re 60. For once, people in the Fashion industry are embracing the grace of aging – Lanvin used diverse-age women in their H&M collaboration promotional video, Gaultier did a collection where the models are styled maturely and editorials now a days are including women of all ages, shape and color (some of them, at least).

However, it might seem like that just because of the media we have today. If you think about it (stereotyping a little bit here, by the way), majority of the people that has time and actually knowledge to maneuver around the internet are young people. Why would media companies spend that much time and energy on an article that caters to their least number of demographics? However, that doesn’t mean there are no blogs that features and explores fashion and style for those who are not 20 or under.

And I agree with CatieBeatty. If you think about it, the brain of Fashion are the people who has been in the industry for years and year with their experiences that speak for themselves. Designers, editors, publicists etc. are definitely those people who are not under 20’s.

posted about 2 years ago

lindajudour
Style_council
lindajudour

Age definitely does not matter in the fashion industry. It’s about how you perceive yourself in your own fashion. I mean women of their 30’s have developed their own sophisticated style that most young adults have adapted to. You can always play around with your wardrobe and see what fits you well and maybe it won’t be as boring anymore.

posted about 2 years ago

mollyan
Style_council
mollyan

No

posted about 2 years ago

sensenotcents
Style_council
sensenotcents

No.

American Apparel did a lovey campaign with a woman named Jacky.

See Picture Here.

It was very elegant, graceful and she emulated beauty at a fine point a woman’s life.

posted about 2 years ago

BowsandGlitterxo
Style_council
BowsandGlitt...

i don’t know about you but when I dress “nice” I feel good about myself….and there should be no age limit on feeling good about yourself!
just think sophistication – some of the fashion items can be used for the mature woman. For example blazersm wrap dresses etc.

posted about 2 years ago

AksharTroublesome
Style_council
AksharTroubl...

yes, & being intimate with your spouse should stop at the same age as well
>.>

PLEASE, girl! you really have to ask this question? go out there and buy whatever you like and that flaters your body! just take a look at all the fashionable celebrities! if you have the legs, there’s nothing to stop you from showing them off…you’re young, still, take advantage of your age: if you don’t you’ll probably be sorry later.

posted about 2 years ago

Senta
Style_council
Senta

Well I guess even women in their 60’s can look more fashionable than some girls in their teens just wearing jeans and shirt. There are a lot of trends right now that also work for the mature audience.
I think it’s more about elegance if you’re 40+, but if you still have the body, why not elegant shorts or a sexy little dress? Fashion for 40+ doesn’t have to be boring. There are a lot of awesome examples out there. Just think of all the actresses that aren’t 20 anymore.

posted about 2 years ago

aalisha
New_user aalisha is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When aalisha reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
aalisha

30 is young. You can have fun with clothes especially if you have a hot figure. I know so many women who are in their 30’s and are truly enjoying it.

posted about 2 years ago

loveonthebackseat
Style_council
loveonthebac...

You should dress how you feel like dressing. Okay, it’s true that if you’re 65 and you’re wearing mini-skirts, would be considered less interesting, but if you’re 30 and you want to wear studs, or you want to mix bright yellow with bright blue, I don’t see why that could not work… ^^ Like Senta says, there are so many actresses over 40 who are style icons! So, no worries! :D

posted about 2 years ago

CitizenRosebud
Style_council
CitizenRosebud

You are not alone and this is the year of the older fashionable woman! With Lanvin, American Apparel and other lines featuring +50 year old models, with Iris Apfel on the cover of Dazed and Confused, fashion is making room for ladies who have seen the north side of 21. Here’s a list of some of the best older fashion blogs around. I hope you find some kindred spirits! http://www.thecitizenrosebud.com/2012/02/six-40-fashion-blogs-i-cant-live.html

posted about 2 years ago

Blessedwithmusic
Style_council
Blessedwithm...

I think popular culture has an age bias, where movies, TV, and magazines focus on youth and therefore it seems that fashion is for people under 30. But as many have stated above, style is much more than following trends – it’s about dressing yourself so that you look great and feel comfortable at ANY AGE. There are style icons for women over 40, such as Nicole Kidman and Julienne Moore.

posted almost 2 years ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

In past, I remembered Scott Schuman of Sartorialist captured plenty of people around that mid-age range for street fashion blog. I think they look great.

Wow, catiebeatty, nice collection of blogs!

priscillaraq
Style_council
priscillaraq

Fashion is for everyone of all ages. Take a look at Betty White; she looks fabulous! Joan Rivers has her own show called the “fashion police” and she looks good as well.

LittleBee
Forum_moderator
LittleBee

Women who are in their 30s usually are more mature and know what they want. They know what kind things they like and they have had more time to “refine their personal style”. Style gets better with time, so no I don’t think that fashion is only for people under 30.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION