Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

What are opinions about private universities imposing dress code policies? In my uni, they measure our shorts, our tops, and that’s mostly like girl stuff. They barely have rules for guys.

It’s so impractical since we live in a tropic country and not being able to wear comfortable clothes affects our productivity level.

posted over 2 years ago
BLam1010
New_user BLam1010 is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When BLam1010 reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
BLam1010

For institution, I think it is important to regulate clothing to maintain the company, school, or group’s image. Anytime you apply to enter any institution like a university, you become an student-ambassador or, in general, a representative. Save the short shorts and stylish tops for a sunny day at the beach.

posted about 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I think it’s ridiculous that a university would be requiring a dress code like the one you speak of. For one, you are all adults who are PAYING to go to that school. I can understand that you are representatives of the school, but really it just comes down to sexism and the idea that women are all walking this fine line between saint and slut. A short skirt is not a sign that a girl is going to get drunk and take off her top, nor is it a sign that she is dumb or not focused on school.
And to have a dress code in a hot climate is yet another reason it’s ridiculous. I don’t know what they consider too short, but sometimes you need to show a little skin to preserve your health!! I worked at an after school program for a while. We weren’t allowed to wear tank tops from this one store where everyone bought tank tops, because they were too low cut (not super low, but too low to wear around kids). Well, one summer we had record-breaking temperatures (we are not used to hot temps here!). It got to the point where even our boss was like “We have to wear tank tops or we are all going to get heat stroke!”

posted about 2 years ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

Depends on how strict the dress code is. If it is saying what you cannot wear, that is fine but if it is saying what you have to wear (only black or white or some strict thing) that is a little pushing it.

What places try to avoid with dress codes is women showing up wearing something that you would see on that “people of walmart” website. No one wants to see muffin top, back boobs, bra straps, butt crack, or cellulite.
Though places would never admit this – it is usually the overweight people who feel the need to show off their bodies. I have extra pounds and believe me, I feel no need to show off my fat.

With guy dress codes – usually making sure their pants are at least pulled up would be plenty as that is the faux-pas most common for men.

posted about 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

I totally agree, catiebeatty. It’s not as if we’re going to show our boobs and everything. Plus why do they have to put so much meaning with what we wear?

posted about 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I’m going to have to disagree with the comment about “overweight people who feel the need to show off their bodies.” I see plenty of “fit” girls wearing short skirts and tiny tank tops, too. I think no matter what your size you should be a little modest out of respect for yourself, but I also don’t believe in forcing people to dress a certain way. It’s your body, so do what you want!

posted about 2 years ago

ambersweet
Style_council
ambersweet

I agree with dress codes.

posted about 2 years ago

itshayliebrooke
Style_council
itshayliebrooke

I hate dress codes. Mostly because the rules are usually too generallized, like in my old high school dresses and shorts had to be no shorter than 4 inches above our knees. Thats rediculous seeing as how my thigh is 22 inches long! so yeah, I’m with you on hating dress codes. Also, I do think that being modest is so important, but sometimes it gets taken too far. very frustrating as well that there are nearly no rules for the guys! (thats how it was in high school). Anyways, good luck, I’m sure you will be able to put together some great outfits that conform to the (unfair) dress codes.

posted about 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

It’s not as if we can measure all our clothing. It’s not as if we’re not “responsible” human beings just because we don’t go by the quota of how long or short your shorts should be or how thick the straps of your tops are. Most of the provisions for dress code are for women, and they just put too much meaning to what we wear. They’d say we’ll invoke “disruptions” in class, but you’ll only be disrupted if you allow yourself to be.

Honestly, I believe it’s very sexist.

posted about 2 years ago

viciousdelicious
Style_council
viciousdelic...

totally ridiculous. Not only are they making you uncomfortable by making some stupid riules that are not even justified, but they are also, by making restrictrions for clothing, denying your individuality. I suggest you guys team up and protest the bastards, style must NOT be restricted:) EVER!

posted almost 2 years ago

emmasworld
New_user emmasworld is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When emmasworld reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
emmasworld

I thought university was all about finding yourself?…personally I think this would diminish creativity and free expression. I loved my uniform in high school, but that is where the uniform should stay…unless you join the military! University is grow up time! :P

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

yeah, i think you should wear whatever you want

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

I think I understand what the university is trying to do, and I definitely think current fashion trends have gotten a little out of hand with the skin-showing, but that still doesn’t give them the right to impose a dress-code on their students. While I wish I could have seen one imposed on all the slutty girls at my school, we studied in the midwest, not a tropic area! But regardless of a university’s location, no matter how outraged I personally am at the trendy minuscule items of clothing people are wearing lately even in my area, you are all paying adults who are there to learn and should feel comfortable while doing it.

RayofSunshine91
Style_council
RayofSunshine91

I would have to transfer if my university did that. I went to private school and wore a uniform from 1st grade-12th grade…College was amazing because I could finally wear what I wanted. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t walk around wearing booty shorts and looking crazy and naked, but I do love the ability to wear whatever I want after 12years of uniforms, skirt measuring, and getting written up for not tucking in my shirt.

posted over 1 year ago

kelseykelsey
Style_council
kelseykelsey

I would be like “Fuck that I’m outta here”
This school doesn’t deserve your time or money.

posted over 1 year ago

Aparajita
Style_council
Aparajita

I’m glad mine doesn’t have one, it’s way to hot around here to be too covered up.
Well, for a win win situation, they could put restrictions on the barley there clothing as a formality and spare the rest. No point restricting individuality and comfort.

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION