Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Necca
Style_council
Necca

First off I hope this topic doesn’t become deleted, because the last time I complained about something on Chictopia, the topic was not only deleted but I was banned from posting for a few days.

Look at the front page, in case it changes, here is a screen shot.

All the top looks are basically the same. White t-shirt and jean shorts.

While I certainly think all these looks have separate aspects to make them unique, you cannot deny that they are all similar enough.
I find this to be a bit ridiculous. I know it can’t be controlled if they are the top voted looks, but I feel as though there should be a way to filter between photos? I love the editors picks. I think it’s a great system. I just feel like there are a lot more interesting outfits that could be showcased. Perhaps the large photo should be switched to the most favorited picture, and then that could change every few hours or when another photo gets more votes? And the other four or three could be hand picked.

I hope other people put some input in.

posted over 2 years ago
coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Those 4 top pics in your screencap do look good/ have great photography but I definitely agree that the actual items of clothing are ridiculously similar!! Not too much variation…
I’m not even sure how often the front page photos get changed/ how you get your pics onto the front page- whether it’s number of votes/favourites/whatever??
But I do think it would be a good idea if the photos changed more often so more looks get showcased!! especially the largest photo :)

posted over 2 years ago

midwestmayhem
Style_council
midwestmayhem

I also agree that the looks are usually way too similar! There should be a way to filter it!

posted over 2 years ago

trinnah
Style_council
trinnah

I agree that they look too similar. Not that they’re any less chic, but I feel like once you’re popular people will comment and vote on your looks no matter what. Two people could be wearing the exact same look, one popular and the other not, right next to each other in the new gallery, and I think the former will still get the most comments or votes. :)

But that’s just how it is, and I’ve learned to just deal with it. I always check out the new gallery anyway. I try to stay away from the style gallery now because I see more looks that I like in the new gallery compared to the style gallery.

That’s just what I like though. I don’t speak for everybody else. :)

posted over 2 years ago

AimsterWelgemoed
Style_council
AimsterWelge...

i agree…they look too similar , and there are many other styles that should be showcased on the front page . Also , like trinnah , i prefer to go to the new photos gallery . I think that there are many others that are more deserving of comments & vote . Besides those in style gallery has enough votes & comments :) .

posted over 2 years ago

CheriChictopia
Style_council
CheriChictopia

Necca,
You bring up a great point regarding diversity. The main way to push for this to happen is to favorite the photos you love. If more people favorite these types of photos, then more of them will make it to the front page. The 4 photos to the right of the main photo are up there by number of fav’s they receive.

What we found over the years is that even though some people do prefer diversity, the majority of people like to look like how top members wear trendy items. To keep a balance, we have one photo that is hand picked, and 4 that are voted by community members. No matter how we structure the system, there will always be photos that are not surfaced “enough” by some standard. We can only try our best to showcase the ones the majority of our users would want to see.

Cheri

posted over 2 years ago

YOUTHAGAINSTFASHlON
Style_council
YOUTHAGAINST...

I had no idea that the 4 photos were up because of the fav’s, it’s good to know. If it’s this way I think it’s pretty fair, I mean, I think that people who fave some looks they do that for a reason, because they do like those looks, not because Chictopians who post those pics are famous…
Faving a pic takes a little time, more than voting CHIC, so I think that evryone who does that has genuine intentions… And I speak for myself too, I usually fave what I like the best, and what I think it could a personal inspiration…

posted over 2 years ago

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

I love the style gallerie dont get my wrong but yes I think that is happening very often,once a member knows that with certain look they get in the front page, they keep repeating themselves…its like watching the same over and over….besides that I love chictopia and the people here its like a family

posted over 2 years ago

ravenouscreatures
Shop_seller_2 ravenouscreatures is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
ravenouscrea...

I took a look at the screen shot and was amazed the looks are super similar. This is not to say they are not great photos and I decided it must simply have been the day to vote for jean shorts and white tops :) Nothing is ever fair nor rarely balanced. I would say Chictopia leaves it in the hands of the community and it is true once you have gained a following, your following will vote for you and more often than not there are certain people whom regardless of what they wear, you will see them on the front page. I recognize these individuals have put in the time, posted the looks (consistently) and garnered a strong and devoted following. There is no reason to call out Chictopia as clearly they are simply posting what the masses are clamoring for. The best advice was given by Cherie and Trinnah look to “New Posts” and vote for those looks you like best. Kudos to you for alerting Chictopia to the screen shot and sorry to hear that previously you were banned for a few days when voicing a concern. The only way to have an open community it to have room for open an honest (sometimes challenging) discussion. So long as you kept it clean, I would not understand why you were deleted.

posted over 2 years ago

stellapnp
Style_council
stellapnp

There is also another problem… someone might get many favorites in a certain picture, even enough to go to the front page, but if this look is not in the gallery… then it is blocked. Anyway, I am so glad when people like my pictures and support them:) that is enough, I believe

posted over 2 years ago

FashionTrendsMore
Style_council
FashionTrend...

Wow! they are very similar

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

It’s called a theme and many fashion communities have these. It’s ok to have pictures in thematic collections. It’s not like they have t-shirt and jean short looks everyday. I’ve noticed sometimes it will be looks featuring pink and blue. I like this; it makes the front page visually pleasing. What happens when they just showcase “most favorited” photos though, is that it becomes too simplistic and is more like a popularity contest than anything. For example, if someone has 10,000 fans and you only have 3 because you just started, you will be pretty much guaranteed to never make it to the front page.

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION