Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
JoyceJowers
Style_council
JoyceJowers

For those of you who are against all mainstream, stereotypes and what you deem “unoriginal” keep this in mind: “Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery – celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from – it’s where you take them to.”
? Jim Jarmusch

Sometimes it isn’t originality that makes us shine, but what we can do with the exposure we are given and the things we know.

posted almost 3 years ago
VersatileMoTIF
Style_council
VersatileMoTIF

love this!!

posted almost 3 years ago

Idhren
Style_council
Idhren

I love it. Also:
“Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I’ve ever known.”
- Invisible Monsters (1999) by Chuck Palahniuk

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

This is exactly how I feel about this obsession (especially in America) with being “unique.” You can’t be 100% unique! If you think about, if you were, you wouldn’t fit in anywhere! Human beings need to feel like they fit in somewhere, like they belong, and that requires having things in common with other people.

It’s OK to not be completely original and to take other people’s great ideas and either enjoy them or build on them and make them even better.

posted over 2 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

very interesting thought!

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

Ironic that all the people who intentionally strive to be unique special flowers, are in fact the total opposite. Everyone “stylish” has some grasp of current trends, regardless of whether they contribute their own personal flare.

like a week ago some guy told me that he liked hip-hop music, but only unknown artists because he hates “mainstream”. I was thinking, is this tool serious right now?!

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

@tightsandtea, that’s always what I say too! You can’t be in fashion without knowing the trends and following a couple! You don’t have to follow them all, but being relevent is really important!

Also, tool is the perfect term for that guy, haha

posted over 2 years ago

Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

I’m one of those people constantly annoyed by mindless trend followers. I thrive on being creative and having an independent style. But that doesn’t mean I believe there’s any way to be 100% unique; I draw inspiration from others all the time. If what I like happens to be mainstream, so be it.

The mainstream is criticized so much not for being mainstream, but because there are tons of people who don’t cultivate their own tastes; they merely follow trends. It’s frustrating to me when, for example, I get funny looks for incorporating neon into wardrobe, and then three years later neon becomes a trend and the same girls who told me it was tacky when I wore it are all “I LOVE neon! It’s my favorite fashion statement!” If you really liked it, you would have liked it before you were told it was “okay” to.

I’m not disagreeing with your post—everything you say is true, and I agree with it. I’m just saying that what you’re criticizing isn’t originality, but people who misunderstand what originality actually is. What is described in your quote is originality.

posted over 2 years ago

claudiakitten
Style_council
claudiakitten

So true!

posted over 2 years ago

Blessedwithmusic
Style_council
Blessedwithm...

Great quote – really got me thinking :)

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION