Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
minimalistpanda
Style_council
minimalistpanda

Ughh! I’ve been procrastinating way too much!
You guys have any good studying/school organization tips?
I’m entering my 2nd year of college in 2 weeks.
I feel like a total wreck. I’m not prepared at all! I’m so disorganized and my stuff is all over the place!

posted over 2 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Go somewhere where you won’t be distracted by chores, internet/tv, or friends and/or family. Cafes are great and so are libraries!

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

^ agreed—you have to create your private study space. even though I had a desk in my room, I never used it because I had to go to the library to get any real work done. I’d even work better in a busy cafe than in my room. don’t work anywhere where you’re too comfy lol. and always keep snacks in your bag in case you decide to study after class, that way hunger pains won’t send you back home.

in order to be organized mentally, it helps to physically organize your schedule, and keep track of what things are due and when. you should plan what you want to accomplish each day—even if you don’t get to everything, just keeping organized helps to put you in the right mindset.

posted over 2 years ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

I wrote my entire dissertation in the local pub!

It was very quiet between 11 and 6 so I would go down every day, drink some Pepsi, treat myself to some chips if I was working particularly hard and study my little heart out. I ended up graduating with a first class honours degree so clearly something worked!

posted over 2 years ago

TheresaPaquette
Style_council
TheresaPaquette

If you’re studying for a particular exam and have a study guide available, it helps to go through it first on your own and then in a group with others in the class. Google Docs are very helpful for this because multiple people can edit it and you can all work through your own and each other’s ideas and find what works best for you.

Also, I keep my notebook and a pen with me at all times. When I get stuck writing a paper, I get it out and just write out all that I can and go from there with it.

If you have class tutors, never hesitate to go to them. And, of course, as the others have said, you should have a place where you can get away from all distractions and be alone with your thoughts and information.

posted over 2 years ago

wavytransition
Style_council
wavytransition

I was a bio major. So we had to memorize a lot of random facts, body parts, chemicals, etc. Flashcards saved my life. Eventually, I wised up and started using Powerpoint to make digital flashcards. This saved me money on paper and I would never lose the cards because it was on my flashdrive. I even uploaded copies to Dropbox, so I could literally study anywhere.

posted over 2 years ago

RachelPheasant
Style_council
RachelPheasant

Here is my tip: depending on your major realize you are not going to be able to read everything that gets assigned to you. Become an efficient reader where you can go over a piece quickly understand the main arguments and come away with one or two questions. If you have more time before the reading is due you can always go back and read the piece more carefully! This tactic has worked really well for me in undergrad and grad school

posted over 2 years ago

lalipops
Style_council
lalipops

what I would advise anybody, even myself (cuz I’m a great procrastinator and I’ve leaned from my mistakes), is to allocate more time studying, and don’t let everything to the last week.

posted over 2 years ago

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

1. Don’t go to the library. I know that sounds weird, but there are too many distractions. There are people you know who you’ll want to talk to, people you don’t know who will undoubtedly do something to bug you, cafes to procrastinate in and spend too much money on coffee in as well. Slow computers, even. Just…no. People would go to the libarary and take eight hours to write a paper, where if you were just focused in your own room—ALONE— you could get the same work done in two or three.

2. Don’t work in a room with TV. self explanatory. I tried this many times, but you just end up watching it. Or, if you’re not using your computer to do your work (say you’re reading) don’t work in the room with your computer.

3. set post-study goals. If you tell yourself you can go out after you finish your paper, you’ll want to get it done faster. If you tell yourself you can only eat dinner after you’ve memorized your first page of notes, you’ll focus if you’re hungry.

4. get a study buddy. just ONE. if this works for you. not a group of people that will lapse into conversation. preferably someone who knows the class well, but not YOU well. You can talk mostly about class that way. AND by the end of it, make a new friend. But you won’t want to simply gossip or rant about your day that way at least for the beginning of your getting to know each other.

posted over 2 years ago

SarawrSmiles
Style_council
SarawrSmiles

I think the way you study for things depends on what you are studying for.
I’m a computer scientist, so I had to do a lot of cs and math, so I find the best way to study is just to work out as many problems as possible, practice makes perfect. But obviously for something like history or english you can’t exactly work out problems :/

posted about 2 years ago

Senta
Style_council
Senta

I agree with Reybeltane. On 2.: Or just trun TV and computer off. You need self control. In you whole life. This is just the start ;)
But I guess it depends on your personal learning type. I know lots of people that only can concentrate in the library. It’s nothing for me. I need my personal library in front of me, all books spread over the floor. And I’m learning in splits. Works perfectly for me. So I guess you just have to try a lot of stuff. And reward yourself after a longer studying time. This motivates me a lot. Also try to keep your working place tidy and organized. Searching for stuff costs a lot of time. And organizing books and stuff motivates me too somehow.

posted about 2 years ago

GirlsOftheNYC
Style_council
GirlsOftheNYC

I love writing to-do list for the day. It even works when I write what work I have to do and what I need to study as well. I find a place that I can be some what alone (not completely alone), but I pick one set place to do work so that when I sit there I know it’s go time. I make sure that I eat and drink before I sit at my work station

posted almost 2 years ago

marushka
Style_council
marushka

What I have found to work:
1. Setting manageable goals for each day. Make a check list – and include fun things on the check list too, so you have incentive!
2. Check in with your advisers regularly – once every two weeks is a good amount of time – or some other person to keep you accountable. Even having a friend to check in with is useful; just make sure it is someone you respect and don’t want to let down by not having anything to show.
3. Figure out what time(s) of day you are most productive at what things. For example, I comprehend reading better prior to 11 a.m., and write/think creatively after 6 p.m. Don’t waste your time when you know you won’t be able to work on something – take a walk or do laundry!
4. Prioritize. Ask yourself, “What is most urgent?” This will also help when you want to engage in productive procrastination – cleaning your room instead of writing a final.
5. Study something you love!

GracielleNebres
Style_council
GracielleNebres

Every night, make it to a point to study all your lessons (7-11pm). Stick to constant study habits. Make the ventilation of your room be cool and read your lessons three times in a row for mastery.

queenodelia
Style_council
queenodelia

on any day you have free time, use that time to quickly clean your room, i don’t just mean stuffing your closet, but take a quick 30 min each day to clean a certain section of the room! Also, use your time wisely, don’t just go out and party with friends or eat out, instead just stay home and cook yourself, it much more healthier plus its cheaper and can be quicker. You can use that time to clean or do your hw!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION