Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
alicenclarkex
Style_council
alicenclarkex

I guess some of us use retail therapy as an exuse to justify our failed relationship, or the guy that blew you off last night, but has anyone really ever thought about why retail therapy actually feels so good.
On a personal note, i shop everyday for that ego boost and self satisfaction, what about you guys?

You leave a shop with a new pair of shoes, a headband, a one of kind lace overcoat, or even a pair of earrings, and you automatically get this sense of self, and i have come to the conclusion that feelings is " its yours".

You, yes you, own that now. Its coming home with you, your wearing it tonight, only you

Thats what is so satisfying, and i guess the fact that your going to look a million times better then his new girlfriend
haha

peace and love
wordtofashion
A.
x

posted over 5 years ago
New_user 37089 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 37089 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I love shopping as much as the next girl and I engage in retail therapy often (probably too often)! Those are all good conscious reasons why we do it and like it so much, but the feeling you get from shopping is also related to a biochemical reaction that happens usually without us recognizing it. Basically we’re getting high on our own endorphins (the naturally-occurring feel good brain chemical) but this same kind of chemical reaction also happens from doing other things like watching a really engaging movie or favourite television show, playing a fun video game, dancing at a club, exercising/working out, and doing a good deed or nice thing for someone.

But besides all the boring chemical reactions going on on an unconscious level, we can look to the early 20th century couturiere Elsa Schiaparelli for social insight:

“Women dress alike all over the world: they dress to be annoying to other women.”

posted over 5 years ago

twinkl
Shop_seller_2 twinkl is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
twinkl

I find that the high I get from retail therapy is very short-lived… and even worse if I experience buyer’s remorse after!! I’ve found that for me, when the buying is a response to envy of some sort, it’s very ineffective and results in remorse. Maybe I’m just not buying the right things, but no matter how awesome something is it just won’t fill that void, or whatever personal trait I’m lacking to make me feel rotten.

I guess things aren’t enough to appease my problems anymore :(

posted over 5 years ago

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

I agree with twinkl… Retail therapy really only makes me feel good for a very short time… unless my purchases have been pre-planned and budgeted. Then I feel good =D

posted over 5 years ago

presidentp3
Style_council
presidentp3

It makes me feel like I have a lot of power because I can purchase what I want. I have control over what I want and its easily attainable (usually hahah)

posted over 5 years ago

elizabethmd
Style_council
elizabethmd

Ugh, I need some retail therapy now! I think I indulge in this too often, which to me, is not often enough. Haha

posted almost 5 years ago

frenchieee
Style_council
frenchieee

It makes me happy because I’m possessive with my material belongings. They have never failed me as said boyfriends and I can lovingly care for them without them making me cry (unless it falls apart or something).

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

frenchieee, exactly haha.

I had an awful day yesterday due to a bad day at work, boy issues, and the lingering problem of school and the fact that I’ll have to endure it for the next million months (I already started, my first week was terrible).

I went to Target after work and decided I deserved a new pair of shoes. (these ones)

Yeah.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION