Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
merissa
Style_council
merissa

okay so im a little confused about what i would like to do for the rest of my life ahha

i would love to get into the fashion world but idk how many options they have
iidk what schools are good in california

can u guys help me out with the options they have
because the only way i think u can be in fashion is if ur a fashion designer ahaha

so help plz !

posted over 4 years ago
SoleilRadieux
Style_council
SoleilRadieux

There are lots of options really. :)
Fashion designer, stylist, model, fashion photographer, “Creatives” like for American Apparel (which I suppose could be like being a fashion designer), Fashion teacher, textile artist, fashion writer (for magazines & such), etc.
You can also get internships for stores & companies. :)
As for schools in California, I’m not sure (I live in Vegas), but you can look some up online.

Hope I helped a little. :)

posted over 4 years ago

fashionhungry
Style_council
fashionhungry

Hey Merissa, the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) is a great school in California for fashion. ..google it.
If you like being creative, you should probably do fashion design but that’s very hard to get into so maybe being the Creative Director of a fashion Magazine would be better. They put together the photoshoots, clothes, pick the models for the shoot, focus on the trends for the season, things like that.
If you like business, I suggest Public Relations (aka PR).It’s managing other designers’ brands. You coordinate their fashion shows, get them advertising deals etc..
Stylists work with celebrities, getting their red carpet looks together, also when they go on talkshows they need outfits, and movie premiers, and just everyday life. If you like putting outfits together, this is for you. Stylists also can work at magazines which I recommend (so you have a steady income).
What I really think you should do is watch these three shows to get an idea of what you like about fashion:
Project Runway(On Lifetime every Thursday at 10pm): if you like design
Kell On Earth (On Bravo every Monday at 10pm, Idk what channel number that is for you..): if you think you would like to do PR and put fashion shows together and/or work at a magazine.
The Rachel Zoe Project (Also on Bravo, the new season hasn’t premiered yet but I think some old episodes are on youtube): if you think you would like to be a stylist or work at a magazine
Also, try to watch these movies:
Valentino:The Last Emperor.. if you like design (your local library probably has it to rent on DVD)
and The September Issue..it shows you what it’s like to work at Vogue magazine…again, check your library

Working in fashion is really hard, you have to be top notch at what you do and have all your shit together. And you won’t have much of a personal life so keep that in mind haha..
let me know if you have anymore questionss!

posted over 4 years ago

justbenatural
Style_council
justbenatural

Merissa! It’s great that you’re getting a clear idea of what to go after. I think it’s so important to have a vision so crisp and real that you can see it in front of you! Especially with fashion – you have to have a fresh, original vision! Education is always a starter for training and for networking – but don’t underestimate the power of online resources!

Chictopia’s really a great place for anyone looking to get their foot in the door of the fashion industry – whether you’re a model, photographer, merchandiser, or designer! If you sew/create your own stuff, look up Etsy! It’s a website for creators and designers of all different trades to exchange their ideas and many make money off of it! There’s also ebay, either selling items individually or in a store of you’re looking more into owning a boutique. Then if it gets going, you can open a physical shop. So many possibilities! I’m actually on the track to opening up a shop myself. I’ll let you know how it goes! =D

But it is very hard because it is so competitive! Business, communication, sales and marketing are also great majors to start in because you’d have a broader range of business in general, then maybe specialize in fashion. That way, if you don’t get it, you have that general, useful degree as your backup plan.

Sorry to write such a novel! Hope I could help. =)

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION