Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
summerlyne
Style_council
summerlyne

so i will be saving mostly every penny i have for y vacay this summer. any tips on how to control myself from irrational spending??

posted almost 5 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

My biggest tip: If you have a debit or credit card, stop using it. Get cash out of the ATM anytime you have to make a purchase so you always take out exactly how much you need— and you can see where the money goes and so it becomes harder to just spend whatever. It’s wise to have a card or some cash on you for emergencies, but keep it sealed in an envelope in a different pocket of your purse if you have to so you can’t just use it for whatever. If you make sure you only have access to a small amount of cash at a time— well, if you don’t have it, you can’t spend it, eh?

Substitute expensive activities for cheaper ones. Have a house party instead of going to a bar or club. Buy ingredients at the grocery store and cook with friends (or a date) instead of going out to eat. Host a (free!) nostalgic movie night at your place with old Disney VHS tapes or something instead of going out to see a movie at $10 or more a ticket. (Or if you do go to the theater, don’t buy snacks). Sometimes these activities can actually be more memorable than the outings they replaced!

Try to spend less time at the mall or looking at online stores, because they will tempt you. You don’t have to become a hermit and not tag along if you’re invited out shopping with friends or anything . . . But out of sight, out of mind. Don’t make it harder on yourself!

JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

Don’t go to malls/shops unless there is something you need. Never leave a shop with something you didn’t intend on buying when you entered, think about it for a day and go back later.

Style_council

if you get paid in cash (like me), bank it immediately – and even better, put it in an account without an atm card (internet saving account without atm cards usually have higher interest rates too!)

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

arrange money free things to do with your friends, and if you need or really want something, do chores or something around the house and work for your parents to get it :) always works well for me

chelsea18
Style_council
chelsea18

get an envelope and give it to someone you trust (i give mine to my mom and she hides it) every week you get paid give them your money (or a portion whatever you’d like to do) and have the keep track and write down how much you have. you’ll be surprised how much you save!

SeekingStyle
Style_council
SeekingStyle

Do not go near any mall or store that you shop at haha Stay off of the web sites too because that will just tempt you. If you are going out to dinner or a movie with friends and it’s near places you like to shop, only bring enough cash for what you need and do no bring debit/credit cards. If you don’t have the money, you can’t spend it lol

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

clip everything you want on polyvore and don’t buy it : )

summerlyne
Style_council
summerlyne

thanks to everyone for really great advice!! i’m really going to stick to a budget!!

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

If you have a credit or debit card, set yourself an allowance to draw out each week and then give the card to someone you can trust to look after it so that you can’t spend over your allowance…..or sort out some money each week for a going away fund and get someone to look after that and then have what is left over to spend now.

luvablegurl257
Style_council
luvablegurl257

I suffer from the same problem and I’m not feeling the effects of it.
For me out of sight out of mind is the policy I try to live by while saving.
I keep all my money if my closet in a box where I can’t see it.

posted over 4 years ago

jaimieheart
Style_council
jaimieheart

Give yourself a budget for the week, say $20. Take out cash from an ATM and then put tape over your ATM cards. Knowing that you only have a certain amount of cash per week helps you prioritize. Do you want to waste $5 on a starbucks coffee, or do you want to save that money for something you might actually need, like.. gas? Or food!

And if you see something you simply MUST have.. Save up a little money each week. Then, when you’ve accumulated that money, and you’ve sacrificed here and there to save for it.. Then you’ve earned a little treat!

That’s what I do!

posted over 4 years ago

transatlanticism
Style_council
transatlanti...

I’m saving for a trip to Europe… luckily I already had savings but to stop myself from spending it all I:

a) Just don’t go to malls unless I need something. Seriously, there must be something in the air!

b) Keep track of all the money I’m saving. E.g. set a target, put a chart (say: $50, $100, $150, etc etc etc) and cross them off as you go. Then you can actually see yourself saving.

c) MY NUMBER ONE SAVING TIP: Put a certain percentage (at least) of your money in a bank account with no card attached to it. Make it happen automatically so you can’t choose not to! That way you CAN still get money out, but you have to leave the item you want to buy and walk to the bank to get it. That way you can decide whether you actually need it.

posted over 4 years ago

VivaciousVee
Style_council
VivaciousVee

I have the same problem. If i have money i like to spend it. But lately i’ve been saving alot more. What i do is give myself an allowance for the week for like food and gas etc. And avoid going to stores that you love at all costs. lol. If you do end up going only allow yourself to go to the clearance section..

posted over 4 years ago

Bstellar
Style_council
Bstellar

STAY AWAY FROM THE MALL! If you don’t NEED it, don’t get it.

posted about 4 years ago

shootingstar
Style_council
shootingstar

if you are able to set up some sort of online account or separate account (without costing you money) name it travel fund put some $$$ there from time to time (say maybe a % from your paycheque or whatever) and do not touch those whatsoever.

posted about 4 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

don’t shop, don’t even browse online

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION