SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
railophone
Style_council
railophone

By what I wear. :/
Apparently, my father told my mother that sometimes people stare at me when he drops me off at school and that it embarrasses him that I dress the way I do.

That really upsets me because they’ve generally let me wear whatever I want, and I wear some really colorful stuff. My friends love the way I dress, too. I don’t mind if I get stares. I’m at least standing out and not like a drone that highschoolers have become.

Today, my mother made me “tone it down,” and I ended up wearing jeans and a black shirt to school. :/
I had a nice outfit chosen for today, too. It upsets me that I can’t wear that I normally wear.

I don’t want to be doomed to jeans and a tshirt for the rest of high school. Fashion and clothing is how I express myself.

I don’t feel like I could talk to my parents because they’re extremely traditional. If I spoke to them about it, it’d be equal to talking back and a slap in the face. D:

What can I do? I’m very upset by this…

Edit: I forgot to mention my father is like… 73 years old. And my mother is like, 70…

posted about 5 years ago
1 2
the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

Well, you’re raiding your mom’s closet as of late, so I don’t see why she’d be any shade of upset/embarrassed. Dads…well, dads usually don’t get most types of fashion anyway. You should wear what you like, so long as you feel comfortable in it and it’s appropriate for the setting (e.g.: doesn’t break your school dress code). If you feel like you need to give a nod to your parent’s feelings, compromise when you’re spending time with them (say, a dinner at a restaurant, or a family reunion/function). They shouldn’t care too much about what you wear at school so long as you’re not getting in trouble. They won’t see you much while you’re there, so if they still nag you, just ask them why they feel that way. It may be more of a concern over your safety at school then actually what you put on. (They might feel like the gawkers are plotting to jump you or something.)

posted almost 5 years ago

snusan
Style_council
snusan

I just looked through your looks =]
and they shouldn’t be embarrassed it’s not as if you dress like a traffic cone to school, your style is nice and it’s your own, he shouldn’t be embarrassed that you have style and possibly dress different to others, but it is understandable for him to not understand what you wear ~ cause after all he is your father….
but anyway people staring, it’s not always bad, style is style.

I just became your fan <3

Shri
Style_council
Shri

Parents are always like this! My father always finds something wrong with what I am wearing and what I do.
Last year I told him that I was getting a tragus piercing so he wouldn’t be a pain complaining all the time. He told me it was okay, that I could do whatever I wanted. So I did it and he totally freaked out when he saw it saying that I looked like a drug addict x) same thing when I got dreadlocks (he kept saying he was going to cut them while I was sleeping, but he never did haha).
He also has a problem with flip flops in the city, leggings… basically anything that stands out cause he thinks the best I can do is be like everyone else… ahah he’s so wrong :)

kuriku
Style_council
kuriku

Your parents are old and conservative, so you might want to try…
1. going to school by yourself.
2. changing your clothes after you get to school/on the way there

I used to see these korean girls near my house do that. They would walk out with nice long hair and glasses, then change into beautiful outfits, crazy hair and heavy make up o.o That was junior high.

And based on what I saw on your profile I don’t think you’re too extreme. There’s really nothing to be embarrassed about ^^;

Enter my giveaway!

short_sweet
Style_council
short_sweet

you only have one life to live
be happy be who you want to be
not that many people are
try to get them to understand you
show them celebrity’s that inspire you’re style show them magazines or wherever you get you’re ideas

kayl
Style_council
kayl

D: I’m sorry, hun. It’s so hard when your parents aren’t supportive with what you wear. I know my dad is embarrassed/doesn’t like what I wear sometimes. My mom sometimes doesn’t like my outfits. So usually I just leave when they are gone so I don’t have to hear their feedback. I haven’t even told them that I have a blog because I know they will just disappoint me with their reaction. My suggestion would be to just don’t change. Stay who you are through your clothes. Fashion is such a big part in most of our lives, we can’t let anyone change that! :D

dietofgummibears
Style_council
dietofgummib...

Being embarrassed by what you wear is a lot better than being embarrassed by your behaviour and the fact that you’re not instantly rebelling shows you’re mature. You should try and sit down to discuss it with them. If you do it around a table and keep it civilized, expressing why you think it’s unfair hopefully they’ll listen to you. Especially if they’ve never had a problem before!

1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION