Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ThatLaurenGirl
Style_council
ThatLaurenGirl

sigh… so for my birthday, my parents agreed to let me undergo a makeover after years and years of wanting one…

i’m super excited because i feel like it’s the first time i can really attack my hair. and yes, i mean this literally because i have the thickest curls… and the worst part is that i live in florida and trying to make my hair cooperate with the awful humidity is an unwinnable (is that a word?) battle.

i know i want to change my hair. thats where my lack of confidence stems from. and sometimes i feel like my lack of confidence is what is keeping me from posting some of my pics on this site in the first place.

so if you know hair, have curly hair, have thick hair, have frizzy hair, or live in any kind of humid environment, i’d like to know your opinion. i’ve always wanted to go short but that would mean nothing to weigh down my hair which would mean me having super poofy hair. but long hair is downright unmanageable for me. most important, i want a lower-maintenance hairdo that doesnt involve me waking up 2 hours before school starts.

posted almost 4 years ago
francescalyn
Style_council
francescalyn

I have thick curly hair too. What products do you use?

maliamazing
Style_council
maliamazing

i have thick wavy hair and live in hawaii
maybe you should try using some frizz products

love_aesthetics
Style_council
love_aesthetics

my friend has thick curly hair and cut it super super short (het hair is literally only 1 cm long) but left a long lock of hair in the front, it’s a bit like Rihanna’s hairdo but curly. It looks amazing! really short but still very feminine, easy to style in an edgy way or when she flat irons it it looks more conservative, its much more versatile than you would think!

don’t let some hair get in the way of your confidence! you are soo pretty and so are your curls!

ThatLaurenGirl
Style_council
ThatLaurenGirl

ive been trying to find the perfect frizz products… do you know any that work? (i dont care about the price)

PurpleHaze
Style_council
PurpleHaze

My mum has really curly and thick hair and she’s been using Kerastase for years now, and she’s really happy with. I have thick wavy hair and use Frederick Fekkai. His products are amazing! But I’m not sure where you can get them in the US.
But if you’re really unhappy with your hair why don’t you try a Brazilian straight perm? Anyway you are beautiful, so be condifent!

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

i love thick curly hair~~~ if you just want to have it in a day, try a wig :)

kaydyanful
Style_council
kaydyanful

well it depends on if you want it straigt forever, you can get this thing called a japanese perm, and it makes your hair pen straight for like ever, but you cant really curl it, because there is a possibility of permanent kinks. or you could just get a chi, and do your hair everyother day. OR you could get on youtube and look up some tutorials on straight hair, or how to style curly hair, and youll see some great videos, and they typically show you what products you should use. and if you are doing a full makeover i would suggest kandee johnson, also on youtube. she is like the most amazing makeup artist ever, and shows everything she uses!
hope this helped!

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

hi

I also have the same curly hair, when its short it becomes curly otherwise too long its too frizzy. I would advise getting it cut shorter , so its curlier rather than frizzy.

i went to the hairdresser who advised me about the cut , go to an expensive hairdresser.

You can get free makeovers at some makeup departments – but they will try to sell you things.
I usually use MAC/Bobbie Brown / Nars / Boots

ThatLaurenGirl
Style_council
ThatLaurenGirl

i want to cut it short too! everyone says something different.

some people think i should cut it short. but most people i’ve talked to think i need my hair to be long so it will be weighed down… but ive seen people with short curly hair and it looks fine on them…. anyone else have an opinion on long or short curly hair?

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

You can do short hair with curls. You see many people with gorgeous, short curls; it clearly can be done. It’s a matter of finding a stylish who understands your hair and can give you a cut that will flatter your texture, and then using the proper styling products to keep it looking good.

I would go to a stylist and talk to them about what you’re thinking, and the two of you can figure out what would work best on your hair and what kind of upkeep would be involved if you got a short cut. You can talk about how long you want to spend on your hair on a daily basis, too— it’s important for them to know, because not all short cuts are low-maintenance! I think it’s more important to confer with a professional than just ask people’s opinions, because many girls with curly hair have never tried going short, or had a bad experience going short without the proper cut or products. (Like my middle school “triangle hair” bob, lol).

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

lack of confidence, just like confidence, stems from within you, not something like your hair. I think curly hair is rather pretty actually =) I have almost completely straight hair so I can give you much advice for products to use sorry D=

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

oh I want thick curls badly!!! you’re so lucky to have those curls~

ThatLaurenGirl
Style_council
ThatLaurenGirl

@MurasakiNeko, hah! i had a triangle bob in middle school too and thanks alot for the advice!

Lollidella
Style_council
Lollidella

I had curly hair throughout all my teenage years (it started around 13-14 and ended when I turned 21. Hair texture can change every 7 years or something) but now it’s just weird waves (really, it pretends it still knows curl in a few spots and kinks out in others). I miss having curls because it’s easy to look natural and fresh. But I understand how you feel! I love having more control over my hair now; before it was so unpredictable. Nothing compared to the romantic look of curly hair though! My favorite style for my hair when it was curly was shoulder length and a bit beyond. It was long enough to do a few things with it to get it out of the way, but for the most part I just diffused it and was done.

Make sure you get a hair stylist who understands curly hair if you choose to keep it. It makes ALL the difference in the world! Also, get some kind of hair serum for frizz. I splurge on an expensive kind because it works miracles (even now). The brand is “Rene Furterer” and the product is “Karite.” If you can find it at all, it’s going to be in a salon.

Since so many people have straight hair, it’s easy to get bogged down and feel like the odd one out. People said a lot of hurtful things to me when I had my old hair, saying I was a frizz-puff and all that. On the other hand, I also got a lot of compliments. If you can, embrace your look. There are always going to be picky and mean people out there, but if you own your style and wear it proudly, people will notice that the most.

keogan42
Style_council
keogan42

if you want a break from curls, instead of going for the big chop, you could do a keratin treatment. they are pricey, but they straighten your hair and it becomes so straight and shiny afterwards! plus, it’s great because your hair will be so resistant to frizz afterwards, so maybe where you live this would be a more manageable option. it’s an alternative to a drastic cut.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION