Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
bari
Style_council
bari

so i was asked to draw some illustrations for a website, though i’m not sure how much i can ask for them? i usually spend lots of time with my drawings but i have never thought about being good enough for doing commissions. so i’m a bit confused.
is 20 USD too much for a bunch of drawings (including an illustration of a couple of lovers, flowers, roses, etc) ?

anyway here is my portfolio

posted about 4 years ago
irisanddaniel
Style_icon
irisanddaniel

are your drawings going to be colored for the commission? i think you should go maybe higher if you are coloring them, but since you don’t do much commission work, i wouldn’t go too high.

maybe $20 – $35? (for all of them, go higher for the more drawings you do)

i think that the quality of your work is deserving of a high enough price, however if you haven’t done much commission work, you shouldn’t charge too much because it might scare customers away? haha, sorry if this doesn’t really help.

posted about 4 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

those are gorgeous. definitely ask for more than $20!

posted about 4 years ago

Bennie52491
Style_council
Bennie52491

I’m a starting illustrator but I didn’t put together a website yet. I don’t know how :( but anyway your stuff is nice you have great personal style. If this is your first paying gig then you should take what you are afford not be to pushy. If the client really like what you do they might contact you for another job and may offer to pay you more.

posted about 4 years ago

Kittany
Style_council
Kittany

A lot of people have different standards on how they price their work, so really its up to you in the long run. :) You just have to find a compromise with how much time and effort you put forth and what you’re gaining from doing the commissions.

I usually try to gauge how long a project will take me and whether or not I really want to do it/is it worth my time? I also try to take into consideration who I’m working for and how much they can really afford.

Your drawings are fantastic!

posted about 4 years ago

francescalyn
Style_council
francescalyn

Try and figure out how much time you think it is going to take and then price it on that. I would charge more than $20 if you are going to be spending more than 2 hours on them! Think about as if you were getting paid to do a professional job.

posted about 4 years ago

hitomineko
Style_council
hitomineko

I dink other’s advice on price seems reasonable. u can always go higher later

posted about 4 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I think you can charge a bit more than 20 dollars. Freelance art commissions are a bit tricky because its hard to get people to pay for the amount of effort you put in unless you get popular.

posted about 4 years ago

bari
Style_council
bari

thank you for your advice :)

posted about 4 years ago

WiesOudshoorn
Style_council
WiesOudshoorn

your drawings are so cute!

posted about 4 years ago

francescalyn
Style_council
francescalyn

Let us know how it turns out!

posted about 4 years ago

maliamazing
Style_council
maliamazing

i love your drawings! i would totally buy one! :)
how big are these drawings? maybe around $20-40

posted about 4 years ago

lilmeg
Style_council
lilmeg

I always charge around $15 per hour for my work, so I’d probably charge way more than $20. Don’t sell yourself short. Those are really cute, unique drawings, and I would probably do maybe $15 PER drawing.

posted about 4 years ago

whoawhoaworld
Style_council
whoawhoaworld

Can I just say….I LOVE YOUR WHALES IN THE SKY. They are my absolute favorite animal…soo…yeah. That just made my day. :)

I think you can definitely charge more than 20 depending on how much you draw. Charge about 20 for each person figure, and maybe 10 for each other smaller item that still has detail.
Or you can charge by hour. Like lilmeg says, 15 per hour sounds okay.

posted about 4 years ago

Jazza
Style_council
Jazza

amazing drawings!

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION