Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
teribi
Style_council
teribi

ever experience being considered weird because you have different taste in style/fashion, with music, your interests… but mainly because of your style?

posted over 3 years ago
coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Yeah, i’ve never been super popular or had lots and lot of friends! I guess it’s partly to do with the fact i’m quite shy and awkward at times. But in high school (almost 5 years ago now) I did use to cop a bit because of the way I dressed and the things I liked!!
There are always going to be people who are judgemental, I did also feel a bit judged while I was at uni (and still do sometimes when i’m with people I don’t know very well). I think you have to surround yourself with friends and family who appreciate you for who you are even if you have differences- weirdness and all! My friends know i’m a freak but they’re crazy too so it’s good :P

posted over 3 years ago

blueviolet725
Style_council
blueviolet725

Yes. I moved to the midwest and wore a ton of black (I was in NY before) and some people at church had the minister ask me why….That was just the start of it…out here.
In High School I loved vintage clothing and lots of people didn’t get it…better weird than boring!

posted over 3 years ago

plasticflowergarden
Style_council
plasticflowe...

Yeah, people used to say (some still do) I was weird because I didn’t wear Ugg boots or skinny jeans, or listen to Pop or Country music, or go out partying on the weekends. It just wasn’t my thing; I liked things that weren’t necessarily mainstream. I never really felt self conscious about it – I actually prided myself in it. I guess I kindof dig the whole ‘freaky’ thing. Lol As time went on, people started admiring me for my differences. Like I so often say, it’s all about your additude; confidence looks amazing on anyone, and nobody can deny that.

posted over 3 years ago

Totallyoutcasted
Style_council
Totallyoutca...

Notice my username? It’s totallyoutcasted, and yes, it’s for a reason.

I have always being different than the mainstream (and even the subcultures) as far as my style and my personality. I was ostracized by my family more so than my peers. As a result, I tried so hard to “fit in” in a place where I really didn’t. I even modified my style to seem more “normal”.

Now that I’m older, I fully embrace by uniqueness. I am who I am. That’s what makes me awesome. Also, I’m able to be in better relationships, because I’m around people who like me for who I am.

posted over 3 years ago

KarenKay
New_user KarenKay is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When KarenKay reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
KarenKay

Forever and always.

posted over 3 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Oh definitely. I’m not the most outgoing person in the world, I’ve always had specific, fairly geeky interests (but they don’t even line up perfectly with other “geeks’”), and I’ve never really been “on time” when it comes to life milestones; it took me way longer to have my first kiss, first date, or first boyfriend compared to most people, mostly because I was interested in other things instead. (The “wrong” things, according to some people). And when it comes to style, I’ve gone from being accused of having no taste to being told I overdress and try too hard. I’ve never gotten it “right”!

But while of course it hurts when people reject or judge you based on superficial things, most of the time I’m proud of who I am and how I am distinct from other people. I can’t be anyone other than me and I’m not going to try. The people that can’t accept that aren’t worth my time anyway— and I’d rather hang out with interesting people who embrace their quirks anyway!

posted over 3 years ago

FANNYisFashion
Style_council
FANNYisFashion

I’d rather be weird than normal and boring…and predictable. Bask in the glory of weirdomness because without people like us how lame would everything else be?

;)

-Fanny

posted over 3 years ago

_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

When I was little my siblings use to make fun of me because when I would get dressed I would pair up colors that they thought didnt match but in the fashion world I was being high fashion lol. I eventually got tired of being made fun of and started dressing different. I wish I could find the little fashionista I use to be lol.

posted over 3 years ago

yopatube
Style_council
yopatube

I’ve always been laughed at by girls my age wearing uggs and juicy couture sweatpants. It took me some time to realize that it doesn’t really matter what people think about you as long you feel yourself in whatever you’re wearing. Those who make fun of you don’t really know what fashion is. Fashion is the art of personal self-expression, not an excuse to be pretty, popular and charismatic.

posted over 3 years ago

brightonb
Style_council
brightonb

My behavior is quite spontaneous a lot of the time so sometimes people think I’m on drugs or drunk sometimes or are just not on my wavelength at all. It’s all fun and games.

posted over 3 years ago

loveliasha
Style_council
loveliasha

yes!! like always !!! mainly at school people would be like thats sooo cute but weird. they’ll say the favorite line, " i would’ve never thought of that!"

posted over 3 years ago

EveyHoneysuckle
Style_council
EveyHoneysuckle

All the time. I much more relaxed with my crazy style now, but I still have my moments of pure insanity haha. I have a lot of friends honestly, but not the type that made an impact in high school “popularity-wise.” However, my last year of high school, i found out a lot of people dug my style and my creativity.

posted over 3 years ago

CatTrinh
New_user CatTrinh is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When CatTrinh reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
CatTrinh

At times I’d ask for my friends opinions on what I’m wearing or going to wear, and I’d take their advice, but what I wear is solely based on my thoughts, and I don’t care what people think….sometimes at least. hahaha!

posted over 3 years ago

xBeautifulSoulx
Style_council
xBeautifulSoulx

I’ve always been thought of as weird by my peers. Teachers, my parent’s friends, adult strangers – they tend to love me. But I think I freak some people out because a) I’m very sensitive and get extremely emotional when I see or hear something upsetting and b) I am constantly complimenting people or noticing little things that I think they themselves don’t notice and I might come off as a little creepy… I’m learning how to control my emotions, but I’ll never stop complimenting random people on how good that color looks on them or how cute they are with they are with their boyfriend, because I’m just trying to be nice and that’s just who I am.

posted over 2 years ago

Jessymen
Style_council
Jessymen

Yes and that’s fine with me. I think people who get to know me can come to love me and my “uniqueness”. If other people can’t.. then oh well.

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION