Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
kellyabb
Style_council
kellyabb

I`m overweight and really need to lose weight. I`m 5 ft 7 in and 181 lb and I should lose about 35-40 lb. I don`t have a time limit but want to get rid of the extra weight by June or July. I`ve been jogging regularly for over a month, and no results, I run for 30 minutes each morning and 15 minutes in the evening. Why can`t I lose weight? Although I try to eat healthy, could my diet be the problem?

posted over 5 years ago
darher
Style_council
darher

I think you need to change something in your diet although you eat healthy food. If you work out as much as you say and still no results show up, diet may be your problem. Try to reduce portion sizes and start counting your calories. I use the free diet and workout planner at link it . That`s how you can check how many calories you eat and burn. You can select your meals and workout program and the website shows if you`re over the calorie limit you should stick to. I`m sure that if you burn more than you eat you`ll see results in a short while. Good luck!

posted over 5 years ago

New_user 37089 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 37089 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

Eating better is definitely important; the most important advice I can give is cut down on refined carbs and definitely do not eat anything around 3 to 4 hours before bed.

Are you doing any weight training or just cardio (i.e. running)? Generally cardio alone won’t help you lose weight (although running/jogging is the most effective form, so keep it up) so you should plan a schedule of weight training workouts for yourself. Personally I do a 4 day rotation split up upper body and lower body into different days, so for example day 1 i will work out core and upper body and cardio, day 2 core and lower body and cardio, day 3 core and cardio, day 4 core and cardio – then start the 4 day rotation over.

Join a gym and hire a personal trainer to get a cardio/weights workout tailored to you personally. Or you can try some of the easy yet effective workouts that I do using simple handweights – get some light 5 pound ones and use them with high repetition for toning (men usually do the opposite – heavier weights with less repetition to build bulk). For upper body, arm curls to work biceps, kick backs for triceps, shrugs for shoulders (for all try 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions). For lower body, the best workouts (using the handweights) are lunges (try 3 sets of 10 lunges each leg), squats (try 3 sets of 15, building up to 20, repetitions), hamstring pulls (basically like touching your toes, try 3 sets of 15 reps) and step-ups using a stair (try 3 sets of 15 each leg). For core you can do simple crunches (most effective on a big stability ball) and donkey kicks. Using free weights is important because you are working more surrounding, core and stabilizing muscles than if you were to use machines which target just one or a couple of muscles exclusively.

Google some of these terms if you’re not sure what they mean; YouTube also often has videos that demonstrate different moves. And don’t forget to stretch! This is especially important for the lower body exercises because they are killer (but no pain no gain right?). Best of luck! :)

posted over 5 years ago

10 points - Become a fan

Oh one more thing: once you start weight training, stop weighing yourself!! Muscle is denser (and therefore weighs more) than fat so you might actually gain weight at first while you’re building muscle. A simple scale doesn’t take this into account; it’s not sophisticated enough. So instead, gauge your progress by how you look in the mirror and how your clothes fit. Trust me, this is way more accurate!

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

http://www.shapeup.org/shape/index_shape.php

this site is really informative and helps a lot when trying to make sense of all that dieting information out there. i personally get very confused trying to figure it all out because there seems to be a million people out there with different ideas! this site gives the straight facts and i like that. and there are a million surveys and questionnaires to evaluate your exercise, diet, etc… very enlightening.

posted over 5 years ago

lolorenee
Style_council
lolorenee

Agreed about the diet, that’s always been a huge roadblock for me.

But you’re timeframes and cardio is actually off as well.
It is actually more effective to walk at a brisk pace for an hour than to run/jog for a lesser amount of time (can’t remember the specific amount of time I was told). That was actually told to me by a personal trainer, so maybe you should try that, because a short burst (especially the 15 minutes in the evening) isn’t getting your heart rate into the fat burning zone, and even if you do get your heart rate there, and then you just stop and don’t follow up with some of the things the other posters mentioned, you aren’t likely to see much results.

Also, DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST EVER!!!!!!! Skipping breakfast can cause fat storage and overeating later in the day. At least eat an apple or a good serving of some fruit.

And!!! Studies are coming out EVERYWHERE about how there is a major relation between the amount of sleep you get and weight loss. I’ll make a note to scan the article from last month’s issue of Glamour about it and post the images on here tomorrow afternoon. That will be a simple thing you can do.

Sorry to totally slam you with things. I honestly should be taking my own advice to get myself in shape and healthy haha. But you seem to be motivated, and if you get yourself on track, you will see results.

posted over 5 years ago

10 points - Become a fan

lolorenee has a point – the fat burning zone is somewhere between resting heart rate and peak heart rate. So jogging usually gets your heart rate up higher than the fat burning zone – at that point you’re just doing cardio which is good for your heart but won’t burn fat. What I usually do is alternate running and walking for about 2 minutes each on a treadmill (less impact on the knees, but you can certainly run on solid ground)

posted over 5 years ago

blueberrysmoothie
Style_council
blueberrysmo...

about the diet, first thing you HAVE to cut out is sugar. Really should try to stop eating all forms of desserts (not that i have been able to…), most carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, grain bread are all good though!) and most importantly cut down on portion size! have smaller portions, which must be balanced. you must have some sort of protein which will help you build muscle, however it is best to go for white meat such as chicken breast which is more healthy then red meat like beef. Oily fish is also a good alternative like salmon. If you want an alternative to water, try green tea which is supposed to be the healthiest thing for you on the planet. Seriously. Obviously fruits and veg are all good, but fruits contain a lot of glucose so you should go for veg more than fruits. Hope this is helpful. And agreeing with lolorenee, NEVER skip breakfast. Its the most essential meal in the day.

posted over 5 years ago

dancinqt878
Style_council
dancinqt878

I would recommend taking some dance and cardio classes. They are fun and really work you out. You sound really committed so taking a cardio class would be very good.

posted over 5 years ago

izycat123
Style_council
izycat123

it could be the problem. if you dont already drink water, START. it the best…not taste wise, but it flushes out the toxins in your body. I gave up un-water drinks for lent, and i cant stop drinking it now. very easy habit to get into. the exercising you are doing sounds good, keep it up!
also dont skip breakfast! it starts your metabolism for the day. also eat every 4 hours OR eat three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and two snacks in between. Make sure your portions are balanced as well (you can find the right portions by googling it online).

good luck! :D

posted over 5 years ago

Rummy
Style_council
Rummy

It’s really really simple:

1. Eat less.

2. Exercise more.

Pretty much everything else is tricks and gimmicks. You’re roughly my height, so here’s my weight loss scheme:

eat less than 1500 calories per day. it really doesn’t much matter where those calories come from if weight loss is your only aim. that said, soup, veggies, complex carbs, and protein make you feel fuller than candy. pretty obvious. calorie calculators are all over the internet, so you can learn the basic values of foods, and after a while you won’t even really have to think about it.

I don’t eat breakfast. i don’t like it, and it makes me feel a LOT hungrier my lunch time if i do eat breakfast. i usually just stick with coffee and fruit until about 3pm then have soup for lunch. supper is my main meal because i live with my boyfriend and it’s social as much as anything.

the rule about not eating at night is nonsense. weight loss is a long term result of calorie expenditure over calorie consumption. the only issue with eating at night is if you’ve also been eating all day, or if you eat cookies all night…

exercise wise, Weights are super important, as someone mentioned, for three reasons. 1. muscle burns more calories in a resting state than fat does. 2. weight training increases your metabolism for several hours after. 3. muscle definition will prevent the dreaded ‘skinny fat’ and pretty much make you look awesome (think michelle Obama’s arms…)

Cardio is most important, and yes the fat-burning heart-rate is lower than the cardiovascular heart-rate, think slow burn. however, if you don’t have time for that, up the intensity and you will burn more calories in less time. an easy way to think of it is in terms of distance – you burn the same amount of calories running a mile as you do walking a mile.

anyway, i’ll shut up now, but really it is so simple, don’t get caught up in nonsense or fads, and think of this as a diet rather than a DIET ie. not a quick fix…

and good luck! i hope things start to pick up for you soon, don’t let yourself get discouraged, sometime it takes a while before you see results.

posted over 5 years ago

aquadisiacinlove
Style_council
aquadisiacin...

^ I disagree that you should be eating less than 1500 calories per day. You should be having at least 1200 to keep up proper nutrition…if you go past 1200 you could be loosing nutrients and not having enough energy throughout the day. Your body may even be overcompensating and storing fat rather than burning it so it doesn’t lose the energy that it needs to function.

To help the fat burning process you should exercise three hours after you eat so that you’re definitely burning fat instead of the food that’s in your body (and it’s safer for you as well). And load up with protein and nutrients afterwards to restore the stuff that your body has lost through sweat.

posted over 5 years ago

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

hi

Have you heard of the " day off diet" basically you eat mainly protien for 6 days and then you have a day off , obv on your day off you cant eat loads of cals but its amazing as your allowing yourself to have them you dont seem to want them as much!!?? if that makes sense I tried it and lost about 1-2 pounds , but now i generally eat less then 1000 cals as i dont even walk around much being a student – i have to sit and work!! LOL

But try it , and do loads of cardio as it helps tons .
And keep motivated , its really depressing seeing skinny people dress up and go to the gym as your like – why on earth do you need to lose weight!!
good luck xxx

posted about 5 years ago

Mango_Tree
Style_council
Mango_Tree

have you tried interval training?

it is especially good for weight loss/fat burning.

it’s basically 10 minutes of intense workout, followed by 10 minutes of slow exercise similar to a warm down then followed by another 10 minutes of intense workout… etc

the key is to up your intensity if you feel like you’re not progressing, so if 30 minutes in the morning and 15 at night is not working, try something that will make you sweat that bit more in the same amount of time.

posted about 5 years ago

kengle3
Style_council
kengle3

I’ll probably be ignored because this is unconventional.

Stay on a strict low-glycemic index diet. You can eat as much of the foods that are low glycemic as you want. Just stick with them. Inverse avoid anything white. Rice, bread, etc. The reason you can eat as much of them as you want is because the low-glycemic foods are almost nothing in contrast to the caloric intake of the high-glycemic index foods.

However, one day out of the week eat absolutely anything you want and as much of it as you want. Dramatically spiking caloric intake in this way once per week increases fat loss by ensuring that your metabolic rate (thyroid function, etc.) doesn’t downregulate from extended caloric restriction. It sounds paradoxical but this is partially why its usually SO HARD to lose wait. Your metabolism slows down because it doesn’t need to burn as much. This is why it works. Your metabolism stays the same, but your overall intake decreases.

posted about 5 years ago

caiko
Style_council
caiko

Workouts don’t really work for me. I tend to gain weight when I work out.
What really works although I can’t recommend it is… fall in love with a guy and get your heart broken. I lost 10-15 lbs that way. for good. hahaha

posted about 5 years ago

secretlover
Style_council
secretlover

kellyabb – you should do everything right if you are really serious about your goal. Nothing and i mean nothing replaces hard work.

You said you run regularly. That’s good, it will burn some calories. You need more than that. I am a professional Muay Thai fighter and I run a lot. Really long runs and i train 5 times per week hitting the bags, mitts, sparring and etc. I made me slimmer. Well, thin. Which i dont like

-i’d say watch The Biggest Loser. You’ll see people are getting excellent results there regardless of their background or size.

You have to lift weights. Yes, dumbells, barbells. And kick your cardio in by just keeping regular runs in your routine. Try to do 15 to 20 reps meaning it has to be this heavy.. i mean you cant make the 21st repetition of your exercise.

that’s just 30% of your work
30% more on rest and sleep
and 40% is nutrition

try high protein and low carb diet. Try to eat carbs around your work out. before and after your work out.

posted almost 5 years ago

secretlover
Style_council
secretlover

breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Skipping breakfast will make you smaller by burning your muscles, NOT FAT.

Eat the bigger meals on the beginning of the day and try to eat less and less in the evening depending on if you’re working out in the evening or not.

CALCULATE your calorie intake

your protein should be your bodyweight 181X2+= 362
take 362 Grams of protein per day

181 / 2 = 90.5 Grams of carbs within your workout

ashedleaved
Style_council
ashedleaved

nice tips secretlover, im originally from thailand :P where did u learning muay thai?

pammella
Style_council
pammella

As many have said…smaller portions, limit the refined carbs. – good luck!

secretlover
Style_council
secretlover

@ashedleaved – I learned Muay thai which is a good cardio here in the philippines. I am a filipino. Been fighting professionally. Muay thai enthusiast since 8 years ago.

So you’re thai. I wanna go to thailand. I heard the food is great and the fighters are good. Buakaw por pramuk, you know that guy?

hallospacegirl
Style_council
hallospacegirl

Hi! We have a lot in common. I’m around 5’6 and 180-184 pounds, and also worked my ass out this summer only to lose and gain 3 lbs back. It defintely has to do with diet. Diet is 70% of weight loss.. or something, lol. I read it somewhere. Anyway, it’s IMPORTANT! I started stepping up my diet until wisdom teeth removal + college starting kind of put it off. Recently I started again. First I joined this online calorie diary site (fitday.com). It’s free and pretty easy to use. I’ve never liked calorie diaries bc I thought it was too much thinking and I was in denial of how much I’d eat, but it’s super helpful and keeps you aware. Awareness is key!

Here are some tips I put to use the one summer I DID lose weight.

1) Eat every 3 hours. Sounds simple, but it was SUPER helpful for me to have a schedule. It kept me aware of what I was putting in my mouth and I didn’t go overboard.

2) Couch to 4k training. Google it! It’s an interval running program that gets you running super easily. Even for me, the worst direction taker ever. I didn’t always follow the directions exactly but I stuck to it. I actually walked to a local school during the summer nights when it was cool and ran there, then walked back. Altogether I’d run for 30 min then walk for 30 back and forth.

3) Additional walking! I think that helped me a lot.

Also, I remember my motivation was that I had read it was possible to shrink a person’s appetite. By eating less for a month, you can do it, so my goal that summer was to shrink my appetite.

I think what killed me this summer was eating too many starches as opposed to greens and fruits. Too many “treats” and pizza slices on weekends. I ate less, and saved fast food for weekends (at least for a while..) but still, despite improvement, it wasn’t enough. And definitely, being lazy the entire day after I exercised. Too many days a week I sat around on the computer or watching tv. I’m hoping to start learn from my mistakes again and completely revamp my eating habits. I know i can get my exercise habits down now, so all I need to do is eat less and less processed foods.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION