Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
kkkeiOK
Style_council
kkkeiOK

Hmmm… am graduating in *silently counts… 9 days time, and am thinking…

WHAT ON EARTH do I wear under a graduation gown?!???

Or more correctly phrased – what looks good under a graduation gown? That is convenient to wear, yet chic?

For males, it is so freaking easy – wear a white shirt, black pants, and tie. You can see a little of the collar and shirt, so it looks good if you wear a white shirt and a block colour tie. But for females, you can’t possibly wear a tie right? So what do you wear up there? Button up? Looks weird. Leave it loose? Will it look messy?

And for e bottom part, do I wear formal pants? Or a skirt? I’m thinking a skirt with black tights. Or should I go reaallllllyyy formal and go with black working pants.

For your reference, this is how my academic dress apprx looks like:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1060/744568788_c5b56f935e.jpg?v=0

Please advise me so I can run out and buy something… I don’t want to be one of those people, 10yrs down the road, have graduation pictures they are too embarrassed to show. Hell, I didn’t even want to attend my commencement ceremony.. I only want the pictures hee.. so I better not regret it now that I’ve already gone and put my money down for e bloody gown…

posted over 5 years ago
JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

At my grad all the girls wore dresses, regardless that there was no shirt collar to stick out of the gown. The skirts of the dresses were shorter than the gown, so about knee length.
Hope this helps, and have fun! You’ll regret not going.

posted over 5 years ago

frenchieee
Style_council
frenchieee

THOSE ARE PRETTY GRADUATION GOWNS! haha. sorry. You should wear a spring/summer dress, nothing TOO above the knee. It shouldn’t be a sexy, clubbing dress in other words. At my school, no one really wears dress pants/skirts so we all opt in dresses.

perhaps something like this:
Dress 1

Dress 2

posted over 5 years ago

kkkeiOK
Style_council
kkkeiOK

Thanks for the comments and advice :)

Haizzz… have to go shopping tomorrow to get something decent to wear for commencement… 1st time in my life that shopping is not fun… haizzz…

posted over 5 years ago

RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

Don’t worry, you’ll find something. I bought a super cute black dress, that was above the knee but the top was really modest. I also wore some super crazy shoes, silver with little red hearts. I could not resist.

Just keep it simple and have fun. One of friends didn’t go and he regrets it.

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

you can wear whatever you want! i was going to suggest that you wear something light-colored, but that’s because often times i notice that they have the women wear white robes and they’re always thin and slightly see-through so it looks funny when you wear a dark dress underneath. but your robes look really nice, so you can get away with almost anything under there! i would say nothing too frilly or fussy because it might get wrinkled since it’ll be covered up during the ceremony.

my only other suggestion would be to make sure you wear mid or low heels! i was recently at a graduation and it was painful to watch all the girls wearing their heels too high. they looked silly because they were nervous and i think it’s harder to walk right in your heels when you’re nervous. but scratch that if you’re already a pro at that!

congratulations and don’t fret! :) :) :)

posted over 5 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

for high school, my gown was white so i opted for a white dress under the gown. for college, i wore a knee length dress. it really depends on your taste though. pants or skirts will work. although for skirt/dress, i feel the length shouldn’t be much longer than the gown. just make sure to wear comfortable shoes, don’t want to trip on the stage

posted over 5 years ago

lethappinessgrow
Style_council
lethappiness...

When I graduated high school, my gown was black! So i just wore a white buttoned shirt and a black skirt!

posted over 4 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

I wore a robin egg blue dress underneath that was shorter than the hem of my graduation gown. It looked weird but have cute, comfortable shoes.

For most of the night I wore my gown and only took it off at the end for photos with my family.

posted over 4 years ago

VivaciousVee
Style_council
VivaciousVee

At my graduation i wore a lbd and some cute black slingbacks. The heels were like kitten heels. You should definitely wear comfortable shoes that day. Hopefully you’re not clumsy like me. lol.

posted over 4 years ago

MissMarais
Style_council
MissMarais

I would say a slightly more formal version of a cocktail dress is fine. I’m wearing a knee length sleeveless dress that’s gray with a simple floral print. I agree with LittleMissVee, comfortable shoes are a must! Kitten heels, cute ballet flats, something like that works. As far as tights go, I think that depends on the weather and where your ceremony is held. If it’s indoors or cool that day, wear them; otherwise I don’t really think they’re necessary.

posted over 4 years ago

anita_spaeth
Style_council
anita_spaeth

i wore a polka dot dress, electric blue leggings, and converse! woo!!! i cant imagine being formal at such an exciting event! my friend and i got dollar store plastic clappers and snacks.
good times.

posted over 4 years ago

SeekingStyle
Style_council
SeekingStyle

I wore a blouse and a high waisted black skirt. No matter what you wear under, the robe makes you look like a big blob, so just wear what you want to wear :)

posted over 4 years ago

cindybot
Style_council
cindybot

oh this is such a good question. i’m having issues with what to wear underneath as well. lots of luck to you finding an outfit. i’ll have to go out and do the same this weekend.

posted over 4 years ago

EricaS
Style_council
EricaS

How about a dress with a collar… reminiscent of something circa 1940s. Chic and a classic.

posted over 4 years ago

kaydyanful
Style_council
kaydyanful

I’m wearing a black all lace dress, and a black pumps, and a leopard jacket for after! very versatile!

posted over 4 years ago

bostonian1828
Style_council
bostonian1828

a dress that doesnt peek out under the dress. make sure you get the wrinkles out of your gown, its really noticable if you dont!

posted over 4 years ago

CarCarCarla
New_user CarCarCarla is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When CarCarCarla reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
CarCarCarla

I say pick a fashion icon and copy it. Stay away from patterns. They tend to be very trend and season oriented. Pay more attention to fit, how much it flatters you and pop factor. You don’t want to be 1 of a million girls in black.

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION