Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
bigships
Style_council
bigships

I’m traveling to Thailand/Cambodia for 3 weeks in February. Planning on going to the obvious destinations: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya Beach, and Siem Reap/Angkor Wat.

Is there anything else I should take in during my 3 weeks? Anything I should be aware of? Have any of my fellow Chictopians been?

Thanks, lovelies :D

posted almost 4 years ago
HelenZ
Style_council
HelenZ

I went to Thailand and Cambodia 6 years ago, over new years, and it was a great trip. Of all the countries in Asia, Thailand is probably one of the easiest places to travel to. Everyone speaks English there, and all the service people are very friendly. Cambodia was fantastic as well, Siem Reap was the best, small town but a lot of history. I used The Lonely Planet Guide Book which was very comprehensive and detailed with restaurant and lodging recommendations.
I also went to Laos during the same trip. It reminded me a lot of parts of Southwest China (Yunan, Guilin area), with rice fields, small streams, and lots of livestock running around.

anothercaroline
Style_council
anothercaroline

Shorts/tank tops, lots of them. It’s beyond humid in South-east Asia. Don’t get cheated at all these touristy places, always bargain. Platinum Mall in Bangkok’s a real gem and if you buy two or more from each stall, ask for the wholesale price. Siem Reap’s has got such a spread of international food, really affordable too. You have to look for The Blue Pumpkin, they have the best ice cream and desserts. We went back at least 3 times during our week-long trip.

bigships
Style_council
bigships

Thanks so much for the great advice!! I’ll have to get that Lonely Planet guide— I’ve seen it mentioned before. And I will most definitely check out The Blue Pumpkin!! :)

Even more excited for my trip now!

SkinnyStyle
Style_council
SkinnyStyle

Don’t know…have fun!!

SaffronHaze
Style_council
SaffronHaze

I did Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in June and I loved it! The food and shopping in Thailand is incredible and Cambodia is so lovely and less over-run with tourists.

I would highly recommend going to Sihanoukville in Cambodia if you’re interested in a fun, beachy place with a cool vibe. Siem Riep and Ankor Wat are amazing of course. We also did a tour of the floating villages – very touristy but still cool.

In Chiang Mai – I would recommend taking a cooking class. We did a full day with Baan Thai and had a great time! Chiang Mai is amazing. If you want to see lots of temples, spend a day in Ayutthaya and hire a tuk-tuk driver for the day.

In Bangkok – be careful, people everywhere try to screw you over, but learning your way around it is part of the experience! For example, if someone in a police’s uniform starts chatting to you and telling you the attraction you want to see is shut and that they can refer you to a tuk-tuk driver to take you elsewhere… he’s full of shit! Plan ahead and know what you want to do, when it’s open and how to get there.

Bargain everything and everywhere, hotel rooms, tours, clothes, touristy trinkets, pretty much everything except food. You’re going to have an amazing time, let me know what else you would like to know… I could go on forever!

HandbagsandGladrags
Style_council
HandbagsandG...

this is such a useful thread- my boyfriend and i are planning to go to thailand, cambodia and Vietnam next summer.

SaffronHaze
Style_council
SaffronHaze

Yeah I went with my boy and it was amazing! Remember never to drink tap water and pack some Gastro-stop if you’re not used to (real) Asian food!

insheepsclothes
Style_council
insheepsclothes

Take a scarf to wrap around your face when on the tuktuks; it can get a bit dusty. Best piece of advice I got.

hadelicious
Style_council
hadelicious

I went to Bangkok in June and I loved it!
Pack very light because shopping there is crazy cheap and you’ll literally find anything you desire! I’d say bring sunblock, a Bangkok map, an across-the-shoulder bag, and your bargaining skills ‘cause trust me you’re gonna need those whether its at the outdoor markets or with tuktuk/cab drivers!

bigships
Style_council
bigships

awesome advice! thanks so much!! :D

blondeerhs
Style_council
blondeerhs

Hey HelenZ or who ever could answer this. I am also going to Thailand this year over New Years and I have no clue what the weather will be like – I am traveling all over Thailand from North to South so I don’t know if it will be cold – should I bring jeans and a hoodie to wear or shorts and tanks? Can anyone answer this for me?

posted over 3 years ago

tammmmy
New_user tammmmy is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When tammmmy reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
tammmmy

if you take perscription meds, pack extra- in case you loose some. and copies of i.d.

posted over 3 years ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

Mosquitoes! There are some bugs repellents, they help a bit. Remember to sleep under a mosquito net at night (even though they do managed to get in) but it’s better than nothing.

posted over 3 years ago

SaffronHaze
Style_council
SaffronHaze

blondeerhs – I was in Thailand for New years a few years ago. From memory it’s very comfortable, shorts and t-shirt type weather. I didn’t go North that time though so not sure if it’s colder up there. A hoodie or sweater is never a bad idea just in case, Don’t remember wearing jeans at all but not a bad idea to pack a pair or rather just some loose pants as well.

Oh, if you intend to visit any Buddhist temples, bring long pants and shirts that cover your shoulders!

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION