SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
frankalank
Style_council
frankalank

Sup…

I have a vintage jacket and fur hat that have a serious stench and also new swede boots that are emitting this sinister stink.

I’ve heard of the fabreeze & towel method but that seems like a waste and I’m stingy. I need to get this done before I leave the country so any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.x

posted over 5 years ago
furrrampage
Style_council
furrrampage

if it’s the great “op shop” smell the best thing you can do is air it out hang it on the line over night. if that doesnt work fork up a measley 5 bucks and get some febreeze

posted over 5 years ago

whatswithamy
Style_icon
whatswithamy

I hang my vintage clothing outside especially on summery and breezy days, the smell always disappears even if I have to hang it for a couple of days.

I also find petals of flowers on the ground, and put them in the pockets and holes of the garment.

Works for me! And my whole room is vintage clothing =)

posted over 5 years ago

BustownModern
Style_council
BustownModern

Fresh air is about the ONLY thing that works on sinister vintage smells – ESPECIALLY moth balls! I’ve left old coats on my porch for 2 weeks in the winter and gotten the stench out after dry cleaning failed!

posted over 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

agreed. if it’s something that you can wash, then soak it in an entire box of baking soda overnight, that always works. otherwise, just leave it hanging outside forever. maybe spray some perfume that you like, and just wait it out.

posted over 5 years ago

cherrybitch
Style_council
cherrybitch

It bothers me so much when I find something awesome at the thrift store and it stinks!

I just put a lotttt of detergent in the washing machine if it’s something I can wash… for shoes and the like, I use windex and bleach to clean them out / kill bacteria, and then air freshener and hope for the best.

posted over 5 years ago

lovebuzz_
Style_council
lovebuzz_

i bought some awesome demonia creepers on brick lane that unfortunately stunk to the high heavens. :( i scrubbed them with a towel & boiling hot soapy water then left them in the sunshine for a few days to dry out. i also put a couple of them scented tissues thingys that go in the tumble dryer in the shoes which worked wonders!

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION