SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
TAGS:  organizationclosetcloset cleaningnew clothesspring cleaning
madelinelechat
Style_council
madelinelechat

Whenever Summer comes around, I always tell myself I'm going to do a type of "spring cleaning" but it's always so hard to let go of stuff. Everything feels like it has a memory or a purpose.

Does anyone have any tips on how they spring clean? Methods of parting with clothes & accessories or finding better ways to organize them?

posted 5 months ago
lizolsen2011
Style_council
lizolsen2011

When it comes to clothes they say if you haven't worn it in a year donate it :) Good luck!

posted 5 months ago

avivranthing
Style_council
avivranthing

I feel ya! I am such a hoarder when it comes to my wardobe. Get rid of the pieces that you hardly ever wear -- plus, if they're in sellable condition, make some extra money! Think of it as clearing space in your closet for new summer purchases :)

posted 5 months ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

Yeah, I would just donate whatever I don't wear often.  It's a great way to write-off tax.  You can even sell them at cosignment stores like Plato's Closet and Crossroads, if the clothes are still in trend.  

When it comes to seasonal items that I really want to keep-- like thick sweaters and coats, I would pack them up and store them deep into my closet.  I would just take out summer clothes and put them in an easy reach.  Once the season changes, I would switch the summer clothes out and replace them with fall/winter stuff in easy reach.  

posted 5 months ago

kgrizzle
Style_council
kgrizzle

I recently read about a great "spring cleaning" method that I am going to try and utilize. Basically, everytime you wear an item from you closet, you flip the hanger around to indicate it as a worn object. By doing this consistently over a few months, you will be able to physically see which clothes you actually wear and which ones can be removed from your wardrobe, based on the direction of their respective hangers. Hope this helps a little, and good luck on your spring cleaning! 

posted 4 months ago

WinknPout
Style_council
WinknPout

You can do it in levels. First separate out the clothes you like to wear often. The second type of clothes that you want to keep but don't know how to wear or haven't worn for while. Third the pile you can donate right away. 

Now you may have a lot many clothes in the second category.... over a period of two - three months if you don't miss anything from the lot, it's time to part ways. 

And BTW so that you don't have to throw away /donate a lot, be sure to smart shop in the first place :) Always ask yourself if you really need the item, if you can wear it with exsiting atleast 3 pieces in your wardrobe etc. 

Good luck!

posted 4 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION