Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
fernandaP
Style_council
fernandaP

Hey people.. Too early to talk about it, I know, but I have a big problem! First of all, I have to tell my story hahah I’m from Brazil – what explains my bad english.. sorry – and you (problably) know that it doesn’t snow here. In my city, for example, there’s summer the whole year. The coldest it gets is 15ºC twice a year.. Except for southern Brazil an d other cities, we don’t have much cold here. Anyway, I’m going to Canada January next year to spend 6 months and I really need help! There ain’t snow things here and I heard it goes -35ºC.. I’m looking forward to seeing the snow again – January 2007 I went to Salt Lake City and I bought some coats, but they are not beautiful. You know, 2007 -, but gettin dressed is something that really bothers me. I mean, I don’t wanna buy coats for -35º because I’m never gonna wear it again in Brazil. And , of course, I want to dress well in snow, because you know, cold is so chic.. but -35, how can somebody live in this weather? hahahah.. Another point: is it necessary all those things to survive on the snow ? Because I remember I used to wear tights under the jeans and, ok, many blouses under the coat.. but I stayed in indoor places most of the times, so all those clothes weren’t necessary all the time. I want to buy a warm coat but a beautiful one, so that I can wear it when I visit southern Brazil or cold mountains we have in here.. It can’t be that ugly snow clothes! And also because I see many pictures here of people wearing skirts or dresses on snow, ok, for 5 minutes just to take pictures, but if they can stand it for some time, why wouldn’t I stand it all dressed while I’m not in indoor places too ?
Did you guys get it ? I’m sorry, it’s a big text.. but I think you can deal with it better than I can!
Thank you already, xx

posted almost 5 years ago
RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

I get what you’re saying. I just experience my first snow of the year. It’s such a pain in the ass. But you do need more than a coat. Definitely buy scarves, hats, gloves. Layers are key in keeping warm. Although I wouldn’t recommend it for everyday. Even thought these are really chic, a pair of heavy socks really keep your feet warm. I would not bring any ballet flats, they are the worse when it’s below 30. Also skirts and dresses can be worn. I pair them with heavy tights and knee high socks. Boots a great investment. You don’t have to buy something expensive.

New_user 83933 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 83933 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I live in Upstate New York, and it gets very cold here too (About 7 years ago, it was about -30ºC for a week. When it finally went up to 6ºC, we were all outside in tank tops because we were so used to it being much colder!). I would recommend having:

-A warm coat
-Long underwear
-waterproof warm boots
-gloves or mittens
-hat
-Scarves (pretty ones!)

To be “fashionable” in the cold, you have to be comfortable. If you look like you’re freezing, you won’t feel confident! Make sure to wear something like a cardigan under your jacket, because if you get too warm, you can either take off the jacket or the cardigan. Waterproof boots are good because the snow melts in the road and turns to slush. If your boots are not waterproof, they will get very wet and cold, and you will be uncomfortable all day! Get a hat that is knitted and covers your ears, because they will be the first thing to get really cold. Warm gloves or mittens (I like the ones that fold back so that you can use your ipod or phone) are necessary to keep your hands warm of course. Big billowy scarves will trap air and insulate your neck, and can be pulled up to cover your chin and nose. Invest in some thermal underwear (Most retail clothing stores will have them, you just have to ask. They come as pants to wear under jeans or as a shirt to wear under a blouse).

Hope this helps! :^)

Last, I would get some “Hothands,” which are little ppackets that heat up when exposed to air. You can keep them in your pockets and warm up your hands.

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

i’m going to europe in december/january and i’m not used to extreme cold where i live, so this is helping me a bit :) anyone else have any suggestions?

heyshauna
Style_council
heyshauna

amiemichelle is 100% correct. the most important thing, in my opinion, is the waterproof boots. No matter how cute your shoes are, they’re not going to do you any good in wet, slushy snow. Even if you have to buy cheaper, uglier boots to wear outside, you can always change when you get indoors.

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

Ugh, I hate the cold. Layers ultimately make it work—you can even layer tights. Also, your body adjusts to the cold if you’re in that area long enough. When I lived in Hawaii a slight chill made me freeze, but now I live in a cold area and I don’t need as many layers now as I used to.

jonibringsjoy
Style_council
jonibringsjoy

Something to add about surviving Canadian winters is that some days you just have to choose warmth over fashion (& frostbite). So I definitely recommend having a very warm parka jacket, heavy duty gloves, hats (toques!), even socks, to wear on the coldest of days. They won’t be the most fashionable, but they’ll be a lifesaver if you have to be outdoors for more than a half hour.
That being said, if you are in Canada for six months you’ll get at least two months of warm weather in May & June (depending on location, maybe April), so keep that in mind. It’ll be a wet-warm, though, so keep with the waterproof clothes & shoes.

Clementine
Style_council
Clementine

I can’t really help you (FernandaP) since i’m living in France and temperature rarely goes under -10°c where I live, but I’m really sensitive to cold so I usually wear a wool coat and boots with big socks and then I can feel warm…

My grandma told me once that when it’s really cold you can wear silk gloves under wool (or whatever the fabric) gloves

eudaemonic
Style_council
eudaemonic

Most of your body heat escapes through your head. Of course jackets are important too, but hats are a big deal. Try to find something made of wool, or a wool blend.

elizabethmd
Style_council
elizabethmd

Then don’t buy a bunch of huge coats. Rather, buy one cheap thick one. Perhaps even a wool pea coat, which is timeless. Then layer with cardigans and sweaters that you can use back home. Also, scarves of course. I have tons of silk scarves that work well in both summer and winter. (I live in northern Ohio.) You can buy warm socks rather cheap at many stores and of course a good pair of boots. Suede may not be the best, considering it ruins in snow. Also, hats and warm gloves.

All of these things could be worn back where you live, when paired with lighter items. Well, minus the coat.

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

Sometimes you will have to sacrifice fashion for warmth. Usually when it gets its coldest, it is very dry out, not wet or snowing. When it gets down to -30F (-35C!) and its dry, I break out the Uggs as well as thick socks and I don’t care. I only own skinny jean, so I would wear my loosest pair with two pairs of leggings underneath. As for the top, lots of light layers are the best. A tank top, shirt, cardigan, and wool pea coat are plently warm. a thick scarf, headband/hat, and mittens are essential too.

annawintourwannabeee
Style_council
annawintourw...

when you are talking about -30c or more, u have one of two choices, warmth or style. i have not found both (unless you’re talking about layering to crazzy levels and i hate going to that extreme or you can afford the price tag)

warmth is when you are going to be outside for longer then 15min then i would invest in a down jacket/coat you’ll be glad to be in it at that temp

style is when leaving the house, getting into a car then from the car to school/resteraunt/work etc. then you can get away with almost anything. i have a wool coat that i like right now.

then the usual, hats, scarves, mittens/gloves, socks are a must and very cheap ways to keep warm.

please stay away from suede, its not very good in the elements.

brookeadeline
Style_council
brookeadeline

oh this topic is just great, haha.
I live a few hours north of Vancouver, so I am very used to the cold.
I find it so funny how much all of you bundled, I guess because I have lived here for a few years on a ski resort, I am very used too the cold.
but! I would say mittens and touques are most essential!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION