Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

I am not really a writer. Once in a blue moon I like to create stories.
The latest one, I was bored at work and just started thinking up a new past. I tend to be stuck in the past.
Anyways the story, there are only two Main characters. A few others appear but not for long. It is about a woman who hates her present life and wants to travel back to late 80’s. She wakes up one day and finds herself there, but not by accident. Still working out thee details of how she got there but it was intentional. Most of the story is about her and a guy she met and their times together. Not much solid sequence of events, more like dis-jointed short stories.
The way she met this guy was no accident. She knew how to approach him, where and when to likely find him etc (Yes it is a guy I knew from years ago)

But the last couple chapters, she knows she has to get back to 2013 and it is this big long emotional scene when she has to say good bye to her boyfriend of 3 years. She never tells him where she came from but he figures it out in the future, on his own.

It is weird though, even though i created the characters, I feel really sad when working on the part where they have to leave each other. Thier break-up date is close to a time when in real life, we moved to another city and I would never again be truly “home”.
The places they live, visit, and work are not fiction but the characters are. I was around in the 80’s so I was able to build the story based on things that “were” during the 80’s.

Is that just like weird to get sad about the hardships of two made-up people in a story? I know people get really wrapped up in stories (Twilight anyone?) but what about when the story is in one’s own imagination?

posted almost 2 years ago
prelel
Style_council
prelel

I know of a Taiwanese movie somewhat similar to your but of a different plot. There are 2 main characters as well and the female protagonist travels to the future. Long story short, the male protagonist went back to the past to live his life with his girlfriend. I find your to be more realistic and that’s a good thing. I don’t find it weird to get sad about the hardships of two made-up people since they are, in a way, your children whom you made-up and well you did base it on a guy you knew a few years ago. This is a very interesting story of yours. :)

AccordingToIng
Style_council
AccordingToIng

I fully understand how you feel. I’m a writer too and I make my characters go through really tough situations. I feel so bad for them because I get really attached to them and wonder how I can put them through all this stuff! I get pretty emotional too sometimes…I wonder how JK Rowling does it? Anyway your story sounds good :) all the best with it!

StephaniePorzio
Style_council
StephaniePorzio

I actually enjoyed hearing this.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION