Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
theycallmerisha
Style_council
theycallmerisha

hello fellow chictopians..im kind of in a pickle here.

so, my 8th grade formal is a few weeks away, and i’ve got this dress. personally, I love it. It’s Cinderella-like, but without all the poof, however, it does have its fair share of ruffles. You see, we all know and love (HAHA) how 8th grade girls nowadays dress..fortunately, im not one of them. I like having class, thank you very much. So heres my problem….Im being told constantly that Im gonna look ridiculously overdressed…and “weird”. I’m not the kind of girl who cares about what other people think or say, but now that I’ve been thinking about it…they’re kind of right. I mean, its only the 8th grade formal, right? But then again, i LOVE dressing up&loooking pretty…

see my dilemma?
help mee, please. :)

posted over 4 years ago
raapunzel
Style_council
raapunzel

why not just go for it? when else are you going to get a chance to wear a dress like that?
especially if the people who have said this haven’t even seen the dress for themselves, i’d ignore them. look at the dress for what you love about it, regain your confidence in it, and hopefully you will feel good wearing it. if you don’t, will you regret it?

my eighth grade formal saw the people in the class in various levels of dress-up. some wore frothy pretty dresses and some wore plain ones, some boys wore regular suits and some went all out matching stuff, one even wore a top hat and a cain with his tux. that was really out of the ordinary but everyone congratulated his look.

it’s better with interesting characters who are not afraid to express themselves and look how they want to look, than a bunch of conservative unhappy ones who are all so afraid and too busy looking over their shoulders.

there will always be those few who will talk bad though, i would just try to not pay them any attention though and have an amazing time in front of them.

posted over 4 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

If you truly don’t care what others think, then just wear it! I remember during my 8th grade graduation dance, I was fairly casual and my friend even paired a t-shirt with her skirt while some other girls had like full on formal dresses. As long as you feel comfortable and you’re able to have fun and feel great, then do it. If you really will feel awkward being too formal, then maybe reconsider.

posted over 4 years ago

Nkarm1
Style_council
Nkarm1

As long as you like it and you feel comfortable in what you wear it doesn’t matter what everybody else says… I’m also always overdressed, but everybody compliments it and likes it… If you feel good with it than just do it :)

posted over 4 years ago

dressedfordaybreak
Style_council
dressedforda...

So be the style icon for everyone else and wear the dress! Who knows, maybe some will wish they had the courage to do that. I mean, if you love the dress, go for it. Like you said, it’s only an 8th grade formal – no one will remember if you fail, but if you succeed, they will. :)

posted over 4 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

i say go for it.

people are more likely to say “oh, she’s awful dressed up, but boy she looks pretty!”
when youre too dressed down people get kinda….:/

so be beautiful!

posted over 4 years ago

jaylalikescake
Style_council
jaylalikescake

Definitely go for it! It’s your promotion you should for sure wear what you love!

posted over 4 years ago

nay_myquel
Style_council
nay_myquel

go for what you love!! cus if u dont you’ll keep thinking bout it && might regret it..i always go for my first instincts..

posted over 4 years ago

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

wear the dress you’ll be comfortable in! It sounds like you don’t want to dress like everyone else anyway because you disapprove of their style! (and honestly, with the way some kids dress these days—I couldn’t blame you!) So if they “disapprove” of you, who cares? You’ll at least be pretty instead of trashy like they are. Being under dressed is never something to aim for, while overdressed? Meh. If you’re confident, you’re not overdressed.

side note: I wore black jeans, a shirt and tie, and chuck taylors to my eighth grade dance because I knew I’d be hanging out with my guy friends anyway. and in the end, the lame popular kids thought that was kind of cool anyway. (but maybe that’s because avril lavigne and the whole tie thing just got popular when I was in eighth grade…hehe)

posted over 4 years ago

Kayyy
Style_council
Kayyy

it’s your decision, who cares what others think!

posted over 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I say wear the dress, it sounds lovely! Who cares what other people think, there might even be those who envy you for standing out and wearing what you want. And remember even if you wear the dress you don’t necessarily need to get completely glammed up as well if you feel that’s going to be too overdressed, you can always play it down by wearing simple shoes and minimal accessories! Go for it :)

posted over 4 years ago

SlitheryDee
Style_council
SlitheryDee

I did this for my 6th grade formal. It was at a hotel and everything, but most people did not wear anything you couldn’t be seen in at a house party. My dress was white lace with an underlay of white silk and had pearl details. Yes, I did get weird looks, and I felt a bit out of place, but I still had a good time. Mean people are going to be mean no matter what you wear so wear what makes you feel pretty and have a good time.

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION