Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
j_fo
Style_council
j_fo

Its no brainer that we shouldn’t have to sacrafice our favorite pair of Lita’s because our boyfriend refuses to be shorter or stop wearing quirky tops because our friends says it looks weird. After all were chictopians! We should be able to dress whatever way we want to express ourselves!…right? Well can someone please tell me what to do when this situation happens with family. As a teen, im sure many of you have been thru this. The daily arguments with mom on what to wear (Unless you were that lucky girl who had a mom that actually brung yu into the world of fashion and has a closet thats the next best thing to the thrift store). Well, i wouldnt say my parents have horrible fashion,its fine…for parents anyways. But why is it that i constantly have to get them to meet me eye to eye when it comes to MY fashion?..Why is it that i can’t wear outfits that express me! I’ve tried to explain to them that I like fashion and i should be free to wear what i want. But to them H&M are only letters from the alphabet and high waisted pants are something that should remain in the past.Feather earings are quite odd, and color blocking causes quite a hysteria. Not to mention heels(which i love) are to mature and matched up with tights and a skirt are only meant for a prostitue. I know the limit of fashion i can wear as a 16 year old and have held back on certain things because i knew my parents wouldn’t approve. Funny thing is usually what they hate my peers admire me for. How can i get my parents to see that fashion is my passion,not a waist of time, and allow me to wear what i want!?

posted over 3 years ago
xokeishaxo
Style_council
xokeishaxo

Lie to them and tell them that you want to have a future career in fashion. Or tell them that truthfully if you do. My dad used to rag on me all the time. I prefer heels. He would ask me why I needed to wear them to class…well now that I’m a retail merchandising major he leaves me alone.

posted over 3 years ago

j_fo
Style_council
j_fo

hah if only it was that simple. telling them i take fashion seriously enough to have a career in it will only upset them, because they dont think its something “educative” enough to have a future in.

posted over 3 years ago

xokeishaxo
Style_council
xokeishaxo

Eh, I tell ppl if that’s how they feel about retail they’re welcome to go live Amish lifestyles but even some Amish take part in retail. My dad didn’t really think of Lowe’s or Walmart or Cabela’s or any of those other type stores as retail. He thought my degree was preparing me to move to NY and design. Wrong daddio.

posted over 3 years ago

Naedina
Style_council
Naedina

i know how you feel… I simply ignore that because if I’d pay attention to negative reactions I would slap them :P My father and mother are so cool with my style, but my cousins, aunts and uncles are so… bhaaaaaah! :S

posted over 3 years ago

j_fo
Style_council
j_fo

Hah thanks for thee advice guys. Its just thats its difficult when the negative critism is comming from your parents because as a teen thats the people who basically control your fund and if they arent happy with my purchases well they can easily control it.

posted over 3 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I mean, if they’re paying for your clothes, there’s not all that much you can do other than save up and buy what you want, then wear it regardless… I’m very lucky to have a mom who supports me and a dad that doesn’t really judge one way or the other.

Have you asked for their justification on why they think you shouldn’t dress the way you want? Is it a cultural thing? Is money tight?

I’m not really trying to imply your parents are right, because I thoroughly believe in expressing oneself through clothing is wonderful, but if you’re willing to see their perspective, they might be more ready to see yours.

posted over 3 years ago

j_fo
Style_council
j_fo

thanks guys,,
>>alyssabea thats exactly what i do as of now. its not that i care because i know veryone has their own opinions but they should atleast let me where wat i feel confident in!

>>annaGlikes, it is a simple form of expression &yu dnt have any idea how much i’ve daydreamed of the day i get out the house..im going to be a junior this comin fall so i only have a couple of years before i go off to college(&get to dress the way i want ;)

>>Catherinee,i undersatnd its their money& i’ve tried to meet them halfway, its more of my mom then my dad..even if he doesnt like it he tends to keep his mouth shut and stay outta me&my moms arguments. she doesn’t have a problem with the price or anything because i shop wisely. she just flat out thinks everything has to match perfectly &be clean&crisp. she doesn’t get the grundgy look or color blocking or trying out diff things so thats we have difficulty. but ill try to take your advice into consideration and rethink how i can dress halfway.

posted over 3 years ago

MichelleCurry
Style_council
MichelleCurry

Compleatly understand you on this. My mother use to HATE everything I put on. She got over it because I did it anyway. I would just tell them that this is who you are and that you love fashion and keep telling them that and eventually they will get the hint. Plus when you are 18 and go off to college then you can start expressing yourself more. I wore heels ALL THE TIME when I was in High school. Still wear them tons now and I still get hell from my mom but its whatever. Sometimes you just have to ignore them and do your own thing.

posted over 3 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

just ignore them and try to dress fairly modestly so they can’t tell you to change. if they say something looks ‘weird’ just shrug it off and say “i like how i look”. Do you girl. You’ll be out of there before you know it, anyway.

posted over 3 years ago

j_fo
Style_council
j_fo

>>MichelleCurry, hah thanks you sound almost completely like me. Im 5’7’ and some of my friends tell me to stop wearing heels to school cause im already tall enough im like its not about height i just LoVE heeels! funny thing is my best friend is 5 ft and she understands beacuse she loves fashion as well :)

>>JanelleEfe, thanks.ill try to do that.&i cant waiit for college lol hopefully i have a job by then so i can be free to dress however i want :D

posted over 3 years ago

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

Janelle its right ignore them because confronting is not going to make it better and believe me there s always going to be somebody that doesnt approve something that you do say or wear in life,its worst when it comes from a nobody

posted over 3 years ago

CutCopyPaste
Style_council
CutCopyPaste

I’m going to say what no one wants to hear. Ignoring them is going to annoy them. Their house, their rules. It’s just how it works. You can wear whatever the hell you want when you move out. Either that or act like a grownup and compromise. If they don’t want you wearing a skirt with tights and heels, ask if you can wear a longer skirt with kitten heels and patterned hose. Just be respectful, they’re your parents and their opinion does matter for the time being.

posted over 3 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

I could pretty much wear what I wanted as a teen (and look as ridiculous as I wanted in the process(not everyone finds their style at the age of 12!)).
And also pretty much until I was 14 my mom/grandmother/dad bought all my clothes. So their opinion mattered to me, and I respected it.

Since your mentioning high-waisted pants and all, you have to remember that those very same things we call trends now, were pretty much trends back then too when your parents were young! So it seems weird to them that you would want to wear them since they now find them hidious even though they might have worn the very same thing! Fashion goes in cycles and all.

posted over 3 years ago

heartandsole95
Style_council
heartandsole95

My mom has amazing fashion sense and a great style, but my dad on the other hand think’s acid washed mom jeans and a white ribbed tank is the best look going. Because of that difference my dad often criticizes how my mom and I dress. Usually I try to adapt to what he’s saying just to save things from getting out of hand. You don’t necessarily have to change your whole outfit, but if they say it’s too revealing, throw a cut cardigan overtop, or change from heels to tall boots. But in the end, it’s your style and as much as they don’t understand that they should appreciate your individuality :)

posted over 3 years ago

j_fo
Style_council
j_fo

thanks for the advice guys :)

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION