Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Do you have siblings? Are you the oldest, middle, youngest, only child?

Do you feel you fit the stereotypes of your birth order? Like oldest kids like to please people or may be bossy, second born children want lots of attention, and youngest children may be very dependent. These are of course negative aspects; there are some positive ones too. Do you notice these in yourself?

posted over 2 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I’m the oldest in my family. I have two younger sisters. I’ve found I am a stickler for rules and worry about my family a lot. I’m not super bossy, and I’m not really manager material, but I am great with kids. I am totally comfortable bossing them around, haha.

posted over 2 years ago

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

I have 4 siblings, and I am neither the youngest, middle, or oldest. That’s what sucks about being apart of an odd number family, you don’t know where you fit in.
I’m the second youngest, but I don’t have any of the major characteristics of the youngest. I don’t have many of the oldest, either.

posted over 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

I have four siblings; I am the second born and oldest girl.

I definitely have a strong tendency to mother the youngest two – by the time they came along, my parents were getting older, and my mom went back to work shortly after the youngest started school. My older brother slept all day and was up all night, refusing to function like a normal person, so a lot of their care was left to me. I’m 26 and the youngest are now 19 & 17, and the three of us are still the closest of all of us siblings.

The brother just younger than me definitely has the youngest child syndrome, even though he is technically in the middle. He was the youngest of us older kids, and there is a big age gap between him and the next one, so for a long time he was the youngest, and my mom still treats him like it.

I feel like I have qualities of the second/middle child – the mothering part, plus the desperate need for attention. My family dynamic is pretty complicated though (isn’t everybody’s?), and with five kids it gets a bit crowded sometimes.

posted over 2 years ago

AmandaPhenomenon
Style_council
AmandaPhenom...

I have one younger brother who is 20. I am the oldest and I feel I do fit many of the qualities usually attributed to the oldest child. I am responsible and a hard worker. For the longest time I always felt the need to be a perfectionist in every aspect of my life, but I have since loosened up a lot. My younger brother had a lot less stress on him and got away with a lot more crap then I did. His grades are also crap and my parents care way less about that with him.

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

You all have brought up some good points. Its all very interesting (im a psychology nerd). I guess i’ve always kind of considered anybody who isn’t youngest or oldest to be a middle child, but then a lot of the birth order ideas still might not apply to you, especially if you’re like #4 out of 6 kids. I’m sure roles would be different. Amanda mentioned something about being a perfectionist and I realised that that birth order stereotype doesn’t really fit me. My baby sis is a perfectionist though! Growing up, we made it even worse by doing everything for her! I remember trying to teach her to do a load of laundry. She was completely helpless and clueless! Like all human behaviors and personality types, there are going to be variances.

posted over 2 years ago

SavannahKrystine
Style_council
SavannahKrys...

I am the youngest and do not fit that description. My sister the is attentions seeker, I am the laid back, people pleaser. I dont know how, but our “roles” reversed lol

posted over 2 years ago

Chris213
Style_council
Chris213

I have one younger sister, and I think that we both definitely fit those stereotypes to a T! Both the negative and the positive!

posted over 2 years ago

Style4TheCamera
Style_council
Style4TheCamera

I have 3 sisters. I’m the oldest. I would say that I do take on some oldest child traits. But I think as the oldest child I had the most responsibility and pressure put on me, which I didn’t like. It made me not able to enjoy being a kid, because I was always the one who had to “babysit” my younger sisters.

It gets interesting when you marry someone and they are in a different birth order than yourself. My husband is the youngest and I definitely see youngest child traits in him. Very spoiled and pouty. LOL.

posted over 2 years ago

VersatileMoTIF
Style_council
VersatileMoTIF

I’m the oldest. Me and my sis are only 16 months apart so I don’t really consider her my little sister. I see us more as equals but I somewhat fit the stereotypical “big sis” role. In a lot of ways she seeks my approval. Especially with who she’s dating. She always asks for my advice…etc etc

posted over 2 years ago

Umbrellastripes
Style_council
Umbrellastripes

My family is opposite, my oldest brother is a rule breaker and was a bit of a slacker, my sister is the middle child and craves attention is super bossy but is very smart and did well in school, and I am the youngest but have taken on the “mother” roll and cook for them all,mend their clothes etc. and hate too much attention.

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

@beccasaurus my middle sister is just like that! I was never bossy, but my sister was really good at throwing her weight around. She’s 25 and our baby sis is 21 and she still gets bossed around by the 25 year old. Partly, she’s always been way taller than us and when we were little, she wasn’t affraid to hit, haha. She really has never cared about being punished.

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION