Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
tightsenthusiast
Style_council
tightsenthus...

My brother is 24 and he’s perfectly good looking – 5"10, skinny, dimples, and a little awkward. He’s never had a girlfriend before – probably due to his love for computer games and introverted activities like hiking and and geeky boardgames. So he’s a little shy. He can definitely make conversations once you start him on a topic of interest but it takes a while to get to know him. So here is my question – do you like shy guys? How would you want to interact with a shy guy. I have been telling him to just go up and talk to the girl he likes, but this doesn’t seem to work because he can never get up the courage. Is there any other way he can show his interest that girls can pick up?

posted over 3 years ago
Style_council

i like shy guys! not completely socially awkward, but i like a little awkward. i find it completely endearing. probably because im a bit of the same – im fairly guarded so a hard person to get to know, not particularly outgoing. etc.

like me he probably isnt the type of person that is going to go straight into a relationship with someone he does know? everyone ive dated has usually started as friends (usually introduced through mutual friends and bonded over common interest) and developed into move afterwards.

posted over 3 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I definitely prefer shy guys to overly in-your-face aggressive guys or guys who are so friendly and forward it comes off kind of fake. (And I am the same age as your brother, so even though I’m taken I’m sure there are other girls like me (: ).

The thing he will just need to watch out for is girls mistaking his shyness for unfriendliness. I can be a bit of a shy girl in person, and people have told me they thought I was uninterested in them (or even stuck up!!) just because I was nervous about looking them in the eye and talking to them. Your brother should be careful he doesn’t come off that way, either. It’s fine to let the girl make the first move, but he shouldn’t let insecurities get in the way of reciprocating in a friendly way. Once someone breaks the ice, trust they want to talk to you— smile and talk back!

I also agree with 9310751 that he also may just need to try a different approach than the whole go-up-and-talk-to-strangers thing. I have never started off a relationship with a stranger I just met on some night out, either. I just wouldn’t be comfortable with it. I think it’s a good idea to join a group based on one of his interests or try to hang out at gatherings with friends who will be bringing people he can meet. It’s much easier to get to know someone in a big group setting when there are friends around to keep conversation going and you don’t have to be one-on-one with a stranger unless you want to. Plus if it’s a regular event, even if you are too shy to talk to each other the first time, you will have another chance (:

posted over 3 years ago

alinaceusan
Style_icon
alinaceusan

I like to discover the fierceness hidden in them.

posted over 3 years ago

sunshinerebellion
Style_council
sunshinerebe...

honestly, it depends. I’ve stopped believing that anyone likes any particular type of member of the opposite sex, you know?
in some cases, I find a guy’s shyness a huge turn on. in others, i can cite it as a reason i’m not interested. what i’ve realized is that i decide that i like or don’t like the guy first, and then start coming up with reasons.
anyway, i have no problem with shy guys (far from it), but the fact is that if two people are attracted to each other, they’re attracted to each other :)

posted over 3 years ago

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

maybe hes too young and needs some time to develop his personality…i love shy boys

posted over 3 years ago

staystitching
Style_council
staystitching

depends. i can definitely find myself liking a shy guy but i cant speak for other women

posted over 3 years ago

rhemel
Style_council
rhemel

I never dated any shy guy and I did not got married with a shy one. But well your brother just needs to start, after that he will be more comfortable about it and he will be fine like every other guy, what could also help him is to have some male friends that are not so shy

posted over 3 years ago

_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

When I first met my boyfriend he was a little shy and I thought it was so cute because he is this good looking built guy and he just kind sit in the corner to himself. It made me went to get to know him more because he had a sense of mysterious about him lol. After getting past the next couple of awkward days of getting to know a person, I realized he is even more goofy and out going than i am.

For me it depends after a while the shy guy should start opening up and if he doesnt it becomes a turn off because if he likes me the way i like him then he should open up more and more everyday.

I think once your brother finds a girl who is into the same things as him he wont be shy anymore. He will feel like he can be himself and say whatever he wants without worrying what she will think. Everyones love journey is different in time and how they find love. He just has to be open to when it finds him.

posted over 3 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

no. it may be cute at first but if he cannot get the guts to go for it, there are plenty more men out there that a woman can go for where she does not have to deal with trying to have a conversation with him, and she will.

posted over 3 years ago

browneyes
Style_council
browneyes

yes :)

posted over 3 years ago

music56765
Style_council
music56765

two words: Michel Cera. He always plays the quiet, akward hearthrob and i have friends who are like in love with him! Girls seem to notice louder, more outgoing guys more becuase they make their presence known. But I think if he can hold a conversation and can make a girl laugh, any girl could like him. :)

posted over 3 years ago

mare_santos
Style_council
mare_santos

there’s two faces with shy guys, yes they’re cute and not cheating kind, but because they have no experience with women they don’t know how to treat them, in ur bro’s case it would be good for him to get to know girls or he will be heart broken more than u might think :S

posted over 2 years ago

Miste
New_user Miste is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When Miste reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
Miste

Does know how to small talk? Take your brother out, let him meet people. Go to cafes etc.
And somehow it still amazes me that there’s so many beautiful women of all kinds in the library. You could take him there ;)

posted over 2 years ago

Umbrellastripes
Style_council
Umbrellastripes

I like shy boys as long as they eventually open up. About half the boys I’ve ever dated have been shy though and I always felt most comfortable with them.

posted over 2 years ago

Earthchild404
Style_council
Earthchild404

I like shy men. My boyfriend is very shy and awkward in conversation and if anyone is talking or trying to start a conversation with him, he clams up because he’s afraid of saying the wrong thing. He also loves video games and such (so do I!) and he’s 24 to my 20.

posted over 2 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

i’m shy myself so yes

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION