SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Gayane
Style_council
Gayane

Hey guys,
SO to start this off Id like to say that the two people whos style I admire the MOST are first, RIHANNA and then Victoria Beckham- but mostly RIhanna.

I have a really hard time finding stuff I can afford and moreover I have a hard time just finding my style. I find I repeat looks A LOT or follow trends. I want to be able to lead trends, find nice stuff, without breaking the bank because Im a student!. Any advice?

posted over 5 years ago
New_user 32348 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 32348 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

If you love Rihanna and Victoria Beckham, you realize that they love to experiment with different things. When they find something they love, whether it’s a silhouette, a hairstyle, an accessory, etc…they make it a part of their overall style.

To find your own style, wear what you love and what looks good on you, not what the trends or what the media says. To truly lead a trend, just wear whatever you choose, it doesn’t matter if it’s not “trendy” or not. Confidence in what you’re wearing goes a long way. Sometimes, the best things the celebrities wear isn’t the latest trend, it’s the simple outfits with a unique twist.

Also, find cheap basics and DIY it to personalize it. Add studs, buttons, fringe, cut it up…etc. You don’t need to buy expensive things to have great style. Also, find great fitting clothes or get things tailored so things look made for you.

Hope that helps!

posted over 5 years ago

Gayane
Style_council
Gayane

Yes it does, thank you!

posted over 5 years ago

ObscureOverture
Style_council
ObscureOverture

Save all fashion-inspiring pictures you come across in a folder on your computer. That should help you figure out what kind of things you like.

posted over 4 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Experiment. Wear things you might be uncomfortable in initially, then see how you feel about it after a day. Hate it? Avoid similar styles. Love it? Think of what you really like about it, and use that for future outfits.

posted over 4 years ago

Petrakieva
Style_council
Petrakieva

Well first u should get to know urself and ur taste… Then u should start looking for cheaper items you like. Don’t worry – there will be a lot of things when you start to look. And another thing – start trying on things u don’t like when r on the hanger in the store. You will be surprised how many things you will become to like!

posted over 4 years ago

Suziemare
New_user Suziemare is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When Suziemare reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Suziemare

Im speaking from person experience. I had this problem VERY recently.. i had a couple of style icons and every time i would go to get dresses i would say “what would she wear?” DONT DO THAT! :) pull inspiration from places but if u try to dress exactly like someone or adapt completely* to a certain style u wont be being u ya know? I like all kinds of things so one day i might be wearing jeans,heels and a tanktop, or a short, hot dress with tights and the next a vintage looking skirt/dress deal. Just find what YOU like and add your touch to it :) i understand that there are rules in fashion but u have to mix it up and make your own rules girl— thats what style is, the confidence to put things together and ROCK them – Know u look good no matter what youre wearing :) as for affording it. I understand. Im a student and $ is an issue, esp when ur trying to always look awesome— b sensible. but dont buy cheap stuff that will fall apart. save and invest in things like shoes jackets and jeans, skirt… BIG things. for girls, lots of shirts and tanks can b mixed around and layered…. they dont have to be the BEST bc theyre so versatile.. also adding your own details with accessories can completely change the look of an outfit. Dont stress about looking just like V Beckham or Rhianna just b inspired and edgy like them, they wouldnt be afraid to wear anything! haha just work with what u have and add a little here and there til u get it exactly how u want it :)
Hope this helps!

posted over 4 years ago

kaydyanful
Style_council
kaydyanful

my advice..
when i felt that way, i remember i would go to the mall and see stuff that didn’t look interesting at first..but then that night, i would be laying in bed, and couldnt get that outfit/item of clothing off of my mind. i think its those things that you pair together, the things that you can’t live without. that begin to make up your personal style. :) good luck :)

posted over 4 years ago

laurenkay
Style_council
laurenkay

i think the think that helped me the most in developing my personal style was to take clippings of anything that inspires you fashion wise and put it in a scrapbook.

every week i sit there in front of all those outfits and different pieces that inspire me and i create my own outfit based on stuff i like. that way you can use what you already have in you closet.

posted over 4 years ago

r0zz
Style_council
r0zz

i say remix the hell out of your wardrobe. i did that last year and learned a lot about my style and what i like.
try to not wear the same thing twice. last year i rarely wore the same outfit twice and only bought 10 items that whole year.

posted over 4 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

This made me think of a rly good sentence.

You really FOLLOW trends, so your always behind. To LEAD, you need to be adventurous, candid, suprising, and have a sense of humor imho.

posted over 4 years ago

rhemel
Style_council
rhemel

Well I think that maybe you don`t have just one style, you can have many styles :) that is totaly cool, you can wear the clothes you feel like wearing in that day! But about cheap places to find good clothes, well don`t ask that to me :S :S :S :S I really don`t know and I am still trying to find :S

posted over 4 years ago

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

HI

Just some advice , i know Rhianna and Vic B are great dressers , but they are pretty different , i mean Rhianna experiements more i think .

Vic B is all about well fitting clothes , and dressing in well fitted jeans and tops and skyscraper heels

Rhianna is all about boots with dresses , leggins , but she really changes her style ALL the time , ive seen her look sweet , then Rock Chic , and others inbetween. I would use celebs as a basis for ideas , like if an outfit Rhianna is wearing looks amazing sometimes she really carries off wierd things that would look totally strange for everyday wear.
I would bring in elements , but ultimately wear what suits your body shape, i mean Vic B is slim slim slim and Rhianna is pretty curvy so they are v different ,

posted over 4 years ago

ohlivia
Style_council
ohlivia

I struggled with personal style for a while… I generally just throw on whatever I think will look good and go for it. In my mind that’s the best way to find a personal style — go with your instincts and not care if it’s really “you”. You put it on… therefore, it is you.

posted over 4 years ago

AnindhitaRustiyan
Style_council
AnindhitaRus...

everything need a process
it’s ok for you to following someone’s style, it’s a part of processing to find out your personal style. you’ll get your personal style when you feel comfort ALWAYS in that style. use your imagination wildly! ;)

posted over 4 years ago

wowalyssa
Style_council
wowalyssa

if you want to have a personal style and set trends, just buy anything you want which you think is stylish, then experiment. jazz up what your clothes so it’ll be you, and unique! :)

I am also a student, and I always buy on thrift shops. I love them!

Learn how to DIY. . .I too, can’t buy expensive things, so I resorted to study fashion designing and dress making, so I can make my own clothes instead :)

Hope I was able to help :)

posted over 4 years ago

ellemaniere
New_user ellemaniere is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When ellemaniere reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
ellemaniere

You’ll probably kill me but… second hand shops, they are super cheap and noone will have the same thing ! Ebay too, cheap stuffs !

posted about 2 years ago

nitab
Style_council
nitab

I think we all love Rihanna’s style. But otherwise when you’re looking for your own personal style, go with what you feel comfortable in, what you think looks cute on your body shape, something that extenuates your body, and something you can just be confident while wearing.

posted about 2 years ago

Illuminate
Style_council
Illuminate

I rarely buy new items. It helps to know what suits your figure and what styles make your body look the best. The colors that suit you and color combinations/ patterns that clash well together that catch your eye. I typically go vintage hunting for something that just catches my eye and when I find it, I think how can I make this work. You will soon find yourself attracted to different things since you never know what you will find. It also helps to be broke every now and then and desperate for a new outfit. It seriously gets the creative mind flowing.

posted almost 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION