Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I plan on going to FIT in NYC for college. and am choosing to spend my first two years in dorms, so my boyfriend can go to the tech school he wants. Incidentally, my best friend wants to go to a tech school, and then her boyfriend is going to a college in nyc also. We all brainstormed together, and since we’re all very close and long-term together, we thought it could be a good idea to share the cost of a one-room apartment with a kitchen area and bathroom. Input? I would like to know how sleeping arrangments might go, fitting in everyone’s clothing and things, etc. Anyone have a similar experience to share?

posted about 4 years ago
talkanatalka
Style_council
talkanatalka

i second the two bedroom option, just because of the privacy issue – it might seem fine at first, but when there’s no other place to escape to, that probably won’t end well (especially since you’re all good friends and are all studying at school – that’s a lot of pressure on top of being couples)

posted about 4 years ago

raapunzel
Style_council
raapunzel

when you say one room, do you mean bachelor apt? or do you mean one bedroom?

because at least with a one bedroom apt, one couple can get the bedroom and the other could get the livingroom area. but still thats pretty tight.

if you insist on doing this, and please seriously consider the above posts regarding not doing this, i would suggest buying screens (like dressing room screens you see in old movies/boudoires ladies change clothes behind).

you guys better set some ground rules or schedules for cleaning and other stuff because living with that many people can be tough! especially two couples.
with rules and nearly mandatory open communication its easier.. i lived with five other girls in one house successfully for a long period of time (but to each her own lockable bedroom).

posted about 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

i agree with the other posters, i really don’t think a 1 bedroom apartment will be enough for 4 people, even if it is cheaper. it might be ok if one couple uses the living room as a bedroom- if it’s a completely closed off room. but if it’s open, eg connected to the kitchen or you have to go through the living room to get to the bathroom, i don’t think there will be enough privacy at all, especially for the couple sleeping there. plus with a bed in the living room area there might not be enough space to put study desks/tv/couches etc, and it might be awkward if you want to have a party or invite friends over who don’t know the couple staying in the living room.
i think long term it would become very difficult to live in such close quarters because even the best of friends need space to relax by themselves.
good luck with your planning though!

posted about 4 years ago

lethappinessgrow
Style_council
lethappiness...

Yeah, I suggest you save up a lil more money and get a two bedroom apt, or just dont do it at all! I’ve never lived with another couple, but I’va had a roommate before, and it sucked!! Now we hate each other! She kinda started acting lk she was my gf! Ha!! BUt besides that, (at least for me, or in my situation) I had no privacy! I had people all coming into my room, and staying in my room when I wasn’t there!! It just kinda sucked! BUt yeah, set some ground rules!! for sure!! and make sure everyone knows whats expected of them!!

posted about 4 years ago

mariezee
Style_council
mariezee

There were 4 of us (2 girls, 2 guys) in a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house and even that was cramped. Some of us were neatfreaks, the others were not and that caused a lot of tension. And the bathroom was always in use. I suggest you think of a different option. Too many people in too little of a space = too many arguments, frustrations and problems.

Good luck!

posted about 4 years ago

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

I think there are other factors that need to be known. You say a one-room apartment — what’s the square footage? Obviously, 800 square feet will have a lot more breathing room for all of you than 200 square feet. Also, do you all plan on hanging out at home a lot, or just using it as a homebase to sleep and keep your belongings? And can all four of you really share one bathroom when you’re all trying to get ready for school/work possibly at the same time?

I agree with previous posters — my initial reaction is, “Dear God, NO DON’T DO IT!” But if you have enough square footage (the recommended baseline for minimalist living is 150 square feet per person), don’t mind sharing one bathroom (and the inevitable funky smells that result), AND set down ON PAPER ground rules for cleaning, food sharing (one grocery bill? Or everyone buys their own things?), allowable number of guests and appropriate times (you don’t want to walk in to a dozen people cramping your space when you intended on studying), and activity hours (as in setting up official times where people can be active in the apartment, or else you’ll have people being noisy at 2 a.m.), it is POSSIBLE to put two couples in a one-room apartment. It may not be comfortable, but it might be possible.

Also, be prepared to walk in on each of your roommates naked at least once. It WILL happen, especially when lacking the privacy of a multi-room living space.

posted about 4 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

The ones we were looking at were about 650-700 square feet, with a bathroom and kitchen area… as far as neatness goes, we’re all about the same, and we were also considering an apartment complex with a floor of public bathrooms and laundry rooms (a friend of mine’s sister lived in new york, and said she’d seen a couple like that. it was what she ended up going with, and she waid it was relatively agreeable). How bad do prices run for two bedrooms? The best I could find was like…900…a month…with no utilities. :(

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION