Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
itsumo
Style_council
itsumo

I’m a junior in high school and I really want to get into Parsons, or maybe FIDM, or any school that pertains to fashion design or merchandising.
I was wondering if it is necessary to have a great background in the arts, as I have never taken an out of school art course. However, I think I can say that I can design and create garments rather well (self taught) and if I had a strong enough portfolio, would that be enough to grant my entrance into the school?

And if I want to major in fashion merchandising, then is the first year of general art foundations necessary?

posted over 5 years ago
Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I’m younger than you so I’m probably no help, but I’ve already started looking at colleges’ websites and their requirements. But I’m sure people will come along to answer this question better than I can haha.

posted over 5 years ago

Lady_Phoenix
Style_council
Lady_Phoenix

I go to FIT, and majored in FMM (fashion merchandising management). You dont really need anything for that major…However, if you are artistic and have an art background I wouldnt recommend it. I used to major in fine arts until i swtiched, and I HATED it!

For design, deffinately start on your portfolio!! any sketches, drawings, paintings, then narrow it down to whatever the amount is that you need. Make sure they are your strongest pieces though, it is very competitive. also, I know for FIT they want a finished garment. Its best to just go to the schools websites and check out the portfolio requirements. If you’re interested in FIT, visit fitnyc.edu

posted over 5 years ago

itsumo
Style_council
itsumo

Thanks for both of you for replying!
Lady_Phoenix, thanks for the advice! Oh and I’m also wondering, how does one apply for FMM in a major art school? Do we also need some sort of a portfolio for that?

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION