Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ShesAllWrite
Style_council
ShesAllWrite

Hello all. I’m new here am hoping to become more grounded in my own personal style by connecting with others who are doing so as well. I have a challenge: I am 6 feet tall, wear size 12 shoe and am not by any means wealthy.

Clothes that aren’t made specifically for tall people fit me very poorly and are quite unflattering. The waist of a regular dress or shirt sets at my arm pits and the hips of a regular dress fall where my waist is. Sleeves on regular dresses and shirts are too short. Regular pants (and even some ‘long’ pants) are also too short. The rise on regular pants is too short. The knees in regular pants (and this is especially visible in distressed pants) are about 4 inches above my knee.

All of this means I look ridiculous unless I shop stores that carry clothing for tall women. Some of the selections are downright ugly—as if merchandisers believe the altitude has negatively impacted our taste in clothing. Other stores offer some stylish things, but not everything they make, in tall sizes. Also, tall sizes are more expensive than regular sizes and they are only available via internet. How I would love to walk into a store and try things on before I buy them, instead of waiting for a package, trying things on at home, and then returning half of it because it doesn’t fit. Or to walk into H&M and walk out with a decent wardrobe without spending three month’s salary.

My closet is currently a patchwork of whatever is available in tall women’s clothing and I’m about to give most of it away and start over. Granted I will still be limited to shopping stores that carry tall sizes (Old navy, Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic, Gap and shudder JCPenney), but I am going to stop buying things just because they come in tall sizes. My wardrobe will be tiny for a while, but it will be well-loved.

So, I’m glad to be here and looking forward to making friends—and I’m hoping some other tall chick who has discovered all the secrets to outfitting the tall woman will be one of them!

posted almost 4 years ago
boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

Wow you do seem to be in a difficult position. Unfortunately, I am rather on the short side so I don’t know any additional stores to find stylish clothes for tall girls. However, welcome to chictopia! I know for a fact there are some other tall girls on chictopia, maybe they will have some advice =)

dorotron
Style_council
dorotron

I know where you’re coming from, although I don’t think I have it too bad.. I am at the opposite end, as I am pretty short.

A great trend right now are oversized tops/sweaters that might work for you since you have the height! Another trend that you might like are cropped tops. They look great on taller girls. Also, you may want to try thrifting! People find amazing things in all kinds of sizes at the thrift store!

Good luck dear, and welcome to chictopia!

giraffe
Style_council
giraffe

You’re only an inch taller than me so if i can find clothes, you can too. I am also a size 11 shoe. I highly suggest buying from thrift stores, or buying things that are slightly oversized and slouchy. What is your style like and where do you normally shop? Some good places to try are Urban Outfitters, Nasty Gal, American Apparel, H&M, Topshop, the list goes on and on….

Ms_Fraser
Style_council
Ms_Fraser

Giraffe..DO you really find shoes at thrift stores??!
Im a size 11 size 12 shoes..
And I see where youre coming from although its not nearly as difficult for me although sometimes it is hard.
Im also 5’10..
and thick in the legs so I hateeee jean shopping..
lol.
I would suggest looking at Doc Martens b/c they have some nice shoes and the mens shoes are cute and some of the women sizes go up to 11 or 12.

Thrifting will help alot.. I’m not sure of your personal style but i know big sweaters look good on everybody!
and then you can find cute tights or leggings to wear..
You can find leggings or tights in your size.. at stores for ‘bigger people’ or department stores..they always fit better ther aanyway

On another note..do you ever feel awkward in your height.. i have that problem occasionally..

shootingstar
Style_council
shootingstar

welcome… hope you’ll be able to find some inspiration and ideas from tall girls alike here~

i sort of understand your situation…. i was not tall, but i am quite large than an average girl (and average chinese girl if you will). and i mean, yikes, you should see some clothes for plus-sized girls… ..they… they.. well..

anyhoo, shoes… that’s also another problem for me too… some stores goes as far and ridiculous as not knowing/believing the existence of women’s shoe-size exceeding size 39 EUR ( size 8.5 US) !!

so, usually finding my clothings/shoes are also quite difficult… it downright sucks to actually have to look for something XL all the time when you know that it’s not really true ;p all sizes are created differently

to be honest, i actually admire your tallness and you can definitely use it to your advantage
it’s all in the way how to put the clothes together and be able to match. and chictopia maybe able to help you with how to create the illusion….
i say illusion in the good way just as the illusion helps me at times to make me looks smaller/thinner ;p

sorry, that was not really some sort of contribution on where to get clothes. thrift-stores few mentioned does sound like a good idea. you can get lucky. and if you do have some extra money to spend, i think it is not that expensiive to have a seamstress to adjust few parts of the clothes to your liking

again, welcome… and enjoy your stay~

giraffe
Style_council
giraffe

Ms_fraser,
yes, the only place where I buy shoes is either at the thrift store, where I find loafers, boots, and heels. Or, if there is some kind of pair that I really want, I just shop online.

snortingchuckie
Style_council
snortingchuckie

I’m only 5’9’’ but one of my best friends is 6’1’’ with size 12 feet and she has to order most of her shoes and jeans online. She’s found some great dresses, tops and sweaters thrifting though. It might seem a little tedious depending on what the thrift store you’re at is like (some are very, very unorganized) but there are some amazing finds out there. You just have to be patient with it. Best of luck!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION