SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

Soooo, I’ve been down to my local 24 Hour Fitness with a few friends (since I got a free 3-day pass, wooo) and it was my first time trying yoga. Well, this was a couple of months ago, but I’ll tell you my experience!

The yoga teacher, contrary to belief, was a very buff man (he looked more like a firefighter than a yoga teacher). He was very abrupt with his teaching, but aside from that, I realize yoga is not for me. I realize I like upbeat exercises more (i.e., Zumba, aerobics) although I do like to stretch every day!

Have you guys tried yoga? Heard there are a lot of benefits of yoga (you can read that here!)

posted over 2 years ago
KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

I had to do it in a few classes in school. I’m not flexible and I have wrists and ankles, so it’s actually really painful for me to do. So, I don’t really like it all that much.

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I think like 90% of the experience depends on the instructor; I think a good one should ensure the exercises are being done correctly (esp. details most overlook like breathing) and be able to put people in the right mindset.

I took a yoga class for fun at my school, and the instructor was amazing (students made her a fb fanpage lol). I always felt really refreshed coming out of her classes, but none of the instructors at my school’s gym came close, and it’s not the same when I do it on my own

because the city my school is in is notorious for its hippies, there are a bunch of yoga places. did I tell you one student in my class never wore shoes?? there’s one free place I’ve been meaning to try where they light a bunch of candles and you do yoga at dusk, but I think I can only take so many shoe-less, shirt-less sweaty people lol

posted over 2 years ago

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

Hey @NewAmerican –
Yes, I really do think the experience (or part of the experience) is with the teacher, if the teacher is able to make you feel relax and into the whole process, it really makes the experience THAT much better (I’m thinking of regular classes too, if the teacher is able to make learning more fun, it’s better experienced).

@Katie – I think that you can actually become more flexible as time goes and with practice : )

posted over 2 years ago

thelovehanger
Style_council
thelovehanger

I love yoga. I used to go to 24 and do my normal cardio and strength training for an hour and a half and then there was a yoga class right after I was done and I’d always go. The yoga made me feel so rested and I never got sore muscles because the yoga really helped loosen everything up.

I think I felt my most healthy when I was doing yoga. It made me feel less winded doing things and more flexible. I love it. :)

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I do some yoga at home. It’s a great way to cool down and stretch after more intense exercising. I have yet to take an actual class, though! I’ve been wanting to for a long time, because I think it would be great for my anxiety and it’s less stressful on my poor, messed-up feet.

Yoga is very different from most exercising. I think it helps more with emotional and mental well-being, but there are also some physical benefits as well. Like I said, it’s great for stretching and toning. It’s not going to give you an aerobic work out, but then again it’s good for your heart, because it helps relieve tension and stress.

posted over 2 years ago

byWoodsandWater
Style_council
byWoodsandWater

I have been doing yoga for years, I started by taking classes with friends at my university and gyms but now I do it alone at home. I also had a friend who did yoga training so she really helped me to know the different positions correctly. I enjoy it much more now. After all, it is suppose to be a relaxing experience.

posted over 2 years ago

lovemarta
Style_council
lovemarta

I love yoga! Its so relaxing and soothing. I also learned from one of my profesors that yoga is the only thing that will help you prevent back problems in the long run.

posted over 2 years ago

striker
Style_council
striker

i like yoga, but pilates was better for me. its very similar but has its advantages it focuses not just on stretching but also on strength and transitioning into different stretches. and generally pilates is not as slow-going as yoga.

posted over 2 years ago

ThePageStaysBlank
Style_council
ThePageStays...

I’ve enjoyed the yoga I’ve done. The instructor is important because their attitude and style is what makes the class. It’s important to decide what kind of yoga you want to do. Some of it is really simple and you don’t have to worry too much about breathing the right way or if your position is perfect (think basic Sun Salutation). This is great for beginners or simple relaxation. I like doing this before bed because it calms my mind down and makes it easier to sleep. (I also realize just how tired I am, which is good because I have a hard time “shutting down”.)

When you try a more advanced style it becomes more important to take a class with a good instructor. He or she can help double check your positioning or breathing. If you ever have pain or problems, you can ask them if your position is correct or for an alternative pose/position. Don’t be shy about asking for help. Often times during the class it’s quiet, but after class you should always be free to ask your instructor to demonstrate a pose that gave you trouble. Make sure to have them watch you do the pose as well.

And finally, not every person can do every pose. An old roommate of mine could do a few poses much easier than I could because her torso was so long. But her arms were oddly short compared to the rest of her body, so some of the poses that required you to reach quite a bit she really struggled with. And a friend of mine can’t bend her torso sideways too much because her ribs dig into her hip and cause pain. It can be easy to get competitive, but it’s important to remember that you’re there for you, not the people around you.

posted over 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

I love Yoga…. It’s pretty much the only form of exercise that I actually enjoy!!!

posted over 2 years ago

MIchelleMcDaniel
Style_council
MIchelleMcDa...

Everyone should try yoga. I try to get to class at least 3 times a week. I have noticed an improvement in my mind, body, and soul. I have even gotten my boyfriend into it. Yoga is not just for females anymore.

posted over 2 years ago

onlyfashionable
Style_council
onlyfashionable

yeah I always wanted, but honestly I too lazy :D

posted over 2 years ago

BleakandWet
Style_council
BleakandWet

I’ve never tried Yoga, but I think I might be too restless or impatient for it :) I’m more suited to sports or running.

posted over 2 years ago

isa170
New_user isa170 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When isa170 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
isa170

Just started doing it more regularly — and BleakandWet — it’s perfect if you are too impatient or restless. In fact it helps with that!

posted over 2 years ago

joshuaty2010
New_user joshuaty2010 is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When joshuaty2010 reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
joshuaty2010

I love yoga. I enjoy it and feel relax after I’m doing it.

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

So I just started going to hot yoga (95F) and I love it! It’s hard work, but the heat actually distracts from the other physical discomforts. I feel soo good afterwards, I’m really happy I finally started going. I’m sore the day after, but it’s a good sore. Means my muscles really got a work out!

posted over 2 years ago

FashionForLife
New_user FashionForLife is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When FashionForLife reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
FashionForLife

I love doing yoga as well.
Good for the mind AND the soul (and very often the eyes)

posted over 2 years ago

jadekelly
New_user jadekelly is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When jadekelly reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jadekelly

I agree that the experience is very dependent on the instructor.

I’ve tried it once and have no interest in going back! I wasn’t loving it, but then the instrcutor got us to pair up and sit on each other to pull our arms back. I’m not a touchy feely person with my friends, let alone people I don’t know! I ended up with a large sweaty old lady sitting on my legs for 5 minutes and I told myself I was never going back!

I’m sure if I did go back it would be completely different but that experience has definitely put me off, I’ll stick to dancing.

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Yes, it definitely depends on the instructor and the people in your class! My sister-in-law got sushed! in a class once! If you’re just starting out, it’s especially important that you don’t end up in a class with people who think Yoga is super-serious. Definitely try a beginner’s class if you’re just starting yoga or are trying a new place.

Jadekelly, glad you never went back to that yoga place! Having other people stretch you can be dangerous! They don’t know your limits, which can lead to injury. Plus, eww, who wants to touch people during yoga?? Everyone gets so sweaty!

posted over 2 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

i don’t really wanna try.

But if you’re in 24 hour, try Turbo Kick!its fun!

posted over 2 years ago

ibroadway42
Style_council
ibroadway42

I really like yoga. It’s relaxing and at the same time a really good workout. I just think that you have to go into it with an open mind. It’s also a nice way for me to stay really flexible for dancing.

posted over 2 years ago

chrisaerobics
New_user chrisaerobics is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When chrisaerobics reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
chrisaerobics

As a dude, I sure would love to do yoga soon! :)   Obviously I also am in love with aerobics! :)

- Chris 

posted 5 months ago

Aparajita
Style_council
Aparajita

For some reason, yoga makes me feel more angry than calm. Especially when yoga trainers make it look effortless and then tell me to concentrate on breathing while I wiggle like a dying fish. 

I much prefer upbeat exercises like you do, anything that makes my heart race and generates a ton of sweat makes me feel good. 

posted 4 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION