SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ragilmega
Style_council
ragilmega

Okay you might think I’m crazy to ask around here. But I plan to get my wisdom teeth removed since they are impacted.

I have plenty of time (hopefully) since they don’t really bother me. So I am taking my time to do some research. I can’t ask too many people in my life since none of them has gone through the procedure.

Have you done it? Did you just go with the dentist or oral surgeon? What painkillers did you use? Did ice cream help numb the pain?

I know I might be scared reading about this, but I also have the need to know. Thanks so much.

posted about 2 years ago
thelovehanger
Style_council
thelovehanger

I had implanted wisdom teeth and got them taken out when I was 20 I believe. I went to the dentist, who referred me to an oral surgeon. The procedure was only about an hour or a little more than that, and then I was prescribed vicodin for the pain. I don’t do very well on vicodin, so I would only take a half pill when I needed pain relief.

The best advice I can give you is, take it easy!! Many people feel fine after their surgery and they go out and do things, but don’t!! So many of my friends who did that ended up having dry sockets. A dry socket is when the tiny blood clot that helps seal up your gum while it heals comes out of the stitches, or the stitches break, and you are basically left with an empty hole that reaches down to your nerves and bone.

I luckily never got one, but I’ve heard they hurt like a b****!!!! Just be very gentle when brushing your teeth, eat soft foods like yogurt, mashed potatoes. Foods that you can kind of mash around with your tongue and not your teeth. And no sucking on straws or anything! And then every time you eat, always use that little squirter thing they give you to keep your sockets clean. It’s very important that they don’t get infected by left over food.

Sorry, I know this is long, but I also wanted to point out, that it took me about 2 weeks for all the swelling to go down and for my teeth to realign. Because the wisdom teeth are extracted, the rest of your teeth shift a bit and settle into a better position (more room), and so it took my mouth a while to be able to close properly with all the teeth fitting into each other.

The one positive is that you’ll probably lose a little weight since you can’t eat much!! :) Good luck!

posted about 2 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

I got it done when I was pretty young so they weren’t even out yet! The biggest concern people have is with Vicodin so I didn’t take it.i took Motrin for the pain because many people throw up on Vicodin. I basically rested for a whole week.it was quite painful.

posted about 2 years ago

Smash86
Style_council
Smash86

I had mine taken out a few years ago and the procedure went really well. My dentist put me under with a gas and then I passed out – still vagely aware of what was going on the first few minutes and then eventually I passed right out :) Woke up a few hours later with a slight numb sensation in my mouth and I felt kind of drunk lol my dad had to help me out to the car. And just so you know, I hate going to the dentist and they made this a very plesent experiance! As for food, ice cream may be too much for your mouth after the surgeory because it is so cold, same goes for hot food. Eat lots of jello, Creamed soups that are blended, Soft pasta with sauce etc. Anything that doesn’t require much chewing or makes your mouth sore.

posted about 2 years ago

ragilmega
Style_council
ragilmega

Dear all, thank you so much for your replies. I am not sure how I want to get it done, whether I just go with the dentist with only some anti-anxiety medication and lots of freezing or go with an oral surgeon where they knock me out. With the first option, they will only give me tylenol 3 for post-extraction, and tylenol 3 just doesn’t really do it for me, but they can’t give me anything stronger. I am very reluctant to go with oral surgeon since I’ve never had any surgery before..

posted about 2 years ago

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

hi!im a dentist,get it done ASAP as it may get you in real pain.I would say go with the oral surgeon if you need to remove more than one, if not with your denist and be as calm as you can that way with be a faster procedure

posted about 2 years ago

thelovehanger
Style_council
thelovehanger

I would go with the oral surgeon. I had never had surgery before then either, and I was scared. But it is a painful procedure and I would much rather be knocked out than awake. My dad got his wisdom teeth taken out while he was awake and his teeth were so fused to the bone, that the dentist had to actually put his knee on my dad’s chest to brace him for the extraction!! Umm…no. Get knocked out if you’re getting them all done!

posted about 2 years ago

ragilmega
Style_council
ragilmega

Thanks all.. I’m getting referred to oral surgeon, not my choice really.. dentist thought it’d be better for me.. not sure when I’ll get it done though..

posted almost 2 years ago

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

I would like to have my wisdom teeth pulled out, too however I am putting it off. The advice you guys gave were very helpful!

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I went to an oral surgeon to have three removed about six years ago. The surgery itself was fine (I was awake, I just listened to my ipod to drown out the drilling lol) but my face swelled up like crazy and it hurt to smile or laugh for a good couple weeks after. Just eat mushy foods—don’t risk anything like chips, because believe me it’s not worth the pain lol.

They prescribed me some pain meds, but I never took anything other than OTC stuff like aspirin; the pain wasn’t unbearable, but I had chipmunk cheeks for a few weeks. Definitely not a pleasant experience, but it’s better to get them out when you’re young.

My last wisdom tooth just broke through the surface of my gums about half a year ago, but I’ve been putting off my dentist checkup. It’s growing kind of crooked, but it’s not bothering me so hopefully I won’t have to get it removed :/

JillianOwens
Style_council
JillianOwens

Hey :)

It seems like the ladies here gave you a lot of sound advice for recovery and healing. All I wanted to say is that you should definitely go to an oral surgeon for wisdom teeth extraction. They are trained to do these procedures and have the surgical background that is needed.

I had mine removed and while the procedure went flawless, it is definitely a type of surgery. I got put under and when I woke up I was surprised at how much it took out of me. Because of going under, I felt better having a surgeon there.

If you haven’t had the surgery yet, good luck!

posted 9 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION