SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
claudiakitten
Style_council
claudiakitten

So..I have a cousin who has gone vegetarian to clear up her acne and lose weight….has anyone else heard of this?

posted over 2 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I’ve heard it can help, but I think it depends on what kind of acne you have and how your body processes animal fats and proteins. For some people I would think it could actually make it worse because they are not getting enough lipids (some types of acne are caused by dry skin) and for others it might make it better because they are getting more nutrients from fruits and vegetables than they were before (many people don’t eat enough fruit and veg, but if that’s all they can eat then they’ll be getting lots of vitamins they were missing out on!) Here is an interesting article I found: [Discovery Health Site]

Also, another factor is allergies. If you have an underlying dairy allergy, and become a vegetarian, you might make your skin or allergy symptoms worse since your dairy intake might increase.

In regards to the weight loss, this can definitely happen since you are eradicating a food group that contains high amounts of fat and are focusing on fruits, veg, and beans. However, you are not eradicating dairy (also high in fat if you’re not careful), sugar and simple carbohydrates, and foods high in plant fats. I’ve found when I try to eat vegetarian, I quickly discover all the unhealthy foods that are vegetarian. Let me list some that I have fallen victim for: french fries and chips, candy bars, pastries, cake, pie, cheese spreads, and loads of fried foods. These are all things I’ve find myself thinking “Oh, that’s vegetarian, so it’s ok!” In reality, it’s not!

I don’t think being a vegetarian is bad at all, but like any diet (I’m using this word to refer to any person’s daily eating habits or main food sources) it requires discipline, balance, and educated choices. It’s not an easy way to weight loss or something you should do to be cool (my sister was vegetarian for this reason, haha). It requires meal planning, even more so than if your eating an omnivore diet, because you need just as many nutrients still, but have fewer choices of food to get them from. One example is B12. It’s very hard to synthesize a vegan form of B12 and deficiency is very dangerous. Anyway, I don’t want to discourage you from doing this, I just want you to be able to make an educated choice! Here’s another great article that has all the pros and cons: [Vegetarian & Vegan Diets]

posted over 2 years ago

LaurenJanelle
Style_council
LaurenJanelle

I personally want vegetarian last year. It wasnt for that reason, but i will admit that my skin cleared up significantly and dropped a few pounds. However if shes looking to lose weight, she should be careful not to substitute the meat she would normally eat with grains.. because that will have the opposite effect. its also important that she knows what food to eat to make up for the protein and other nutrients. exercise is also very beneficial to both weight loss and your skin! Hope this helps.

much love,
lauren xoxo

posted over 2 years ago

tania28
New_user tania28 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When tania28 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
tania28

She can try to eliminate diary or to reduce its daily consumption, some persons react very well to this simple step. I did not read studies, but i know friends who reduced/get rid of acne by simply adopting a raw vegan diet, but you have to be very carefully with this diet to be sure that you get all the nutrients your body needs.

For more information about acne treatment, you can read here too.

(http://www.my-acne-treatments.com/)

Above you can also read how to care your complexion in order to prevent acne scars witch are much difficult to treat.

posted about 2 years ago

thatyellowtutu
Style_council
thatyellowtutu

The best advice that people always give me is to drink lots of water. It really helps a lot to make your skin healthier.

posted about 2 years ago

livinglearningeating
Style_council
livinglearni...

There’s a difference between being vegetarian and eating only vegetables – eating only vegetables is unhealthy, you need grains and legumes and fats, or all you’ll get it sick! And it really depends on your body, anyway – I’ve had friends who have gotten worse acne after going veg*n and had clearer skin before!

posted about 2 years ago

projektfashion
Style_council
projektfashion

I don’t think that works. I’ve been a vegetarian since ’07, and I still have occasional breakouts.

posted about 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

my friend’s been vegan for years, and it doesn’t really seem to have affected her skin. if she chooses to maintain a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, she still needs a balanced diet.

there are all sorts of unhealthy foods that don’t contain animal products.

posted about 2 years ago

MissMellalina
Style_council
MissMellalina

I don’t know about veggies and acne……..but vegetables are full of nutrients that are GREAT for your body…so it can’t hurt to try it anyway! I honestly believe that 90% of our food should come from unprocessed fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds…..it keeps me slender and fit and prevents me from getting sick!

Facebook.com/MissMellalina

posted about 2 years ago

minicoffee
New_user minicoffee is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When minicoffee reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
minicoffee

If you do it right, vegetarianism can help with skin, but I think that applies to any healthy diet. Just eating more fruits and vegetables (especially fruits that are high in antioxidants like berries and pomegranates, and vegetables that are high in retinoids like yams and carrots) and cutting down on refined sugars is enough to improve your skin.

posted about 2 years ago

somethingsun
New_user somethingsun is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When somethingsun reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
somethingsun

honestly i doubt it. i don’t know how bad her condition is, but the kind of nutrition you need to clear blemishes would be extreme, and alter your hormonal balance. and even IF it did work it would take a good few years at the very least. even supplements don’t work for most people. she can pursue any diet for her own well being but she really should consult a doctor for her skin or she’s just gonna end up frustrated. if she’s not interested in regular drugs she can try out alternative remedies like homeopathy or accupuncture.

posted almost 2 years ago

BravoCoconut
New_user BravoCoconut is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When BravoCoconut reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
BravoCoconut

I’m a vegetarian, and I’d say my skin is pretty clear. However, I’ve always had pretty clear skin to begin with. I’d say vegetarianism should be a last resort as it is a very powerful commitment. I’m all for vegetarianism, but I do not think it is right for everybody. Make sure she is getting enough protein.

Off4thandGraham
Style_council
Off4thandGraham

I’ve heard it and will it will clear your skin you also have to realize it won’t give you perfect skin. Acne has a lot to do with your genetics.

KimberlyLove

REPLY TO DISCUSSION