SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
BleakandWet
Style_council
BleakandWet

I’m trying to lose weight, and I’ve been doing some situps and muscle training in my arm area as well as a lot of walking but I’m not getting results! I went online and found out that situps don’t actually burn many calories at all, so I need some help to find what other exercises I could do. What’s your most effective exercise and how much do you have to do to keep the weight off?

posted over 2 years ago
BeyondLustre
Forum_moderator
BeyondLustre

I think in terms of effectiveness its really important to mix things up-your body is very effective at resisting anything that is trying to burn all its fat reserves, so you really have to work on tricking it to keep burning. If you do the same thing every day for months on end, it will adjust its metabolism to make sure you’re burning less. That’s why you can frequently meet marathon runners who lost some weight when first starting their regimes, and then basically maintain the same weight even as they’re putting on more miles and eating almost the same things.

So I would try to get a nice balance of cardio, weights, and some kind of toning like pilates or yoga. Try to keep increasing mileage for cardio steadily, and make sure that you’re doing of alternating high-intensity spurts with low intensity “breaks”. For weights, do a set of exercises 8-10 times at a weight that makes you tired by the end, and repeat each set 2-3 times before moving to the next one. And keep trying new things as they come your way-if you see a dance studio doing a monthly special for new students, or your friends want to check out a new yoga studio, be sure to give it a go!

posted over 2 years ago

ibroadway42
Style_council
ibroadway42

Never underestimate the power of dancing. It is by far the funnest way to work out. Plus, dancing focuses on a different set of muscels, making them long and lean as opposed to “building up”. I have so much fun with it; dancing is one of my favorite things to do. And it really works! “Contrary to popular belief, it’s not for sissys.” (haha, I found that quote somewhere)

posted over 2 years ago

punkintin85
Style_council
punkintin85

the only time i’ve lost weight is when i have a calorie deficit for the day, more calories burned than consumed. so i watch what I eat and then do an Insanity (beachbody) workout video or jogging/walking for 40 minutes. I know it’s tough:) good luck on reaching your goal. I’m still struggling to reach mine:)

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION