SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

Just like consuming anything out there, consuming too much of a good thing will be bad. So, what’s to say that if you take too much of vitamins would be, too? I’ve always been iffy about vitamins, however I do take a “complete” pill a day just to be on the safe side. But, contrary to the belief that more is better, consuming more than you should can really cause some bad side effects:

1. Exceeding 4,000 IU of CALCIUM can cause kidney stones in the long run.

2. Exceeding 1,000 micrograms of folic acid can prevent your Vitamin B12 from showing up in your immune system. Vitamin B12 is important to your nerve endings (meaning your brain)!

So, what’s the conclusion? Always try to eat fortified meals and try to eat healthier foods because remember vitamins are just supplements, they are not supposed to replace your primary food.

Share your thoughts!

posted almost 2 years ago
crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

Unfortunately, not many people know that it can damage the kidneys.

RachelPheasant
Style_council
RachelPheasant

I take a complete multivitamin every day, which actually helps me get sick fewer times a year. I think if you just take the allocated amount and then consume your normal diet you are not at much risk for exceeding your daily dose to a dangerous amount. One exception: Selenium. If you take a multivitamin that has your daily allotment of Selenium don’t eat Brazil nuts—it takes very few to get selenium poisoning.

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

the difference between medicine and poison is in the dose :). but you’d probably have to eat multivitamins like candy in order to have noticeable health consequences.

flockingowls
Style_council
flockingowls

taking too many vitamins can be harmful. for instance, taking too much iron can lead to nausea and vomiting, and can eventually cause damage to the brain and liver. Of course, this is rare but when it happens it is usually caused by iron supplements. gotta be careful about what you take!

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Thanks for sharing this Crystal! I’m always worried when I look at the amount of vitamins in things. A lot of foods and supplements seem to have very high concentrations. For instance, do we really need like 5000% of our daily allowance of vitamin C? Probably not and hopefully there aren’t any negative results, like the ones you mentioned!

Like Natalie mentioned, people should be careful about iron. Most teen and adult women need lots, but men have to be careful. I was shocked when I noticed that Frosted Mini Wheats have 90% of your daily allowance! They should put a warning on them for men!

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

Thanks all, other than the labels like “not FDA approved,” they should have some kind of warning. Unfortunately not many people know about this until they go research themselves. Possibly a surgeon’s warning or something would help (like on cigarettes)!

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

I started to take vitamin B complex because someone told me it was good for the hair and inmediately gave me insomnia.

allicinwonderland
Style_council
allicinwonde...

It depends on if the vitamin is water soluble or fat soluble. The examplse my high school biology teacher gave me were Vitamins A and C. You can have as much vitamin C as you want, because whatever isn’t incorporated into your body you will just pee out because it’s water soluble. But if you have too much of a fat soluble vitamin, like Vitamin A, the excess gets stored in your fat cells and it can reach toxic levels

Crisss
Style_council
Crisss

to much is never good

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Like others have mentioned it depends on the vitamin whether too much will poison you or just get peed out, but as a rule moderation is smarter than excess! Most doctors and health experts agree it’s best to get your vitamins primarily from food anyway, because then it’s extremely difficult to overdose on any one vitamin. When it comes to supplements, I would consult a doctor first about the risks taking any highly-concentrated doses— or to see if you even need a supplement in the first place. Plus they should know what you’re taking in case it could conflict with other medications they might prescribe you.

For example, those omega-3 fish oil supplements . . . They thin your blood a little, which may not be a big deal for the average person, but if you already have a blood disorder or are on medications to further thin your blood, it can be dangerous!

StephaniePorzio
Style_council
StephaniePorzio

II heard yes, you need to go see the nutrient doctor and get the right things you are lacking and taking supplements for deficiency disorder..

BeyondLustre
Forum_moderator
BeyondLustre

Most of the vitamins don’t get absorbed by your body-that’s why a lot of pills have like 1000% of the daily value. However, it’s always healthier to get your vitamins from real foods-nature has a way of regulating things way better than processed pills

AyePee3
Style_council
AyePee3

Yes, taking to much vitamins are harmful for your body.

lindajudour
Style_council
lindajudour

I’ve heard that as well. In my opinion, good things also have consequences, even drinking too much water is bad for you! However, due to the fact that I’m not a fan of veggies, I do try to take some vitamins just to compensate.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION