SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
HelenZ
Style_council
HelenZ

I recently became interested in running but am debating if I should buy a new pair of running shoes. I’ve had my old pair of Adidas for a very long time. I recently read the book Born to Run and they are advocating running shoes that make you feel like you are going on bare foot. They are known as Vibram FiveFingers. Has anyone had experience with them?

posted over 3 years ago
tightsenthusiast
Style_council
tightsenthus...

My college roommate has those and he swears by it. He’s a hard core runner so I don’t know if it’s the type of shoe that would suit everyone. I thought about getting this for my boyfriend one xmas. Here are some reviews on FiveFingers I found online.

I couldn’t finish reading Born to Run. Maybe because I am not into sports, but most of his rambles about ultramarathon runners seem a little too hyped for me.

posted over 3 years ago

StyleDelights
Style_council
StyleDelights

Nike Pegasus are awesome! I have bene using them for running for some time now and totally happy! I am running Chicago 8K this sunday in them:-)
StyleDelights

posted over 3 years ago

hipsandthighs
New_user hipsandthighs is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When hipsandthighs reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
hipsandthighs

I bought a pair of them about a month ago for my husband and I and he loves them and doesnt wear anything else. Unfortunately I couldn’t tell you because I could get them to fit because of how my toes are shaped and ended up with a pair of asics.

posted about 3 years ago

amber07
New_user amber07 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When amber07 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
amber07

I have Vibrams and love them! After I got mine, my hubby decided he needed them too! The best part is that the fit so close that it feels lightweight and almost like you aren’t wearing anything! It’s fabulous!!! Try ’em out!

posted about 3 years ago

kat_mauvais
Style_council
kat_mauvais

My boyfriend has a pair of Vibrams and he loves them. I might get a pair if I get back into running so that we can both look like dorks together ;]

posted about 3 years ago

Crisss
Style_council
Crisss

They are very comfy, but they look oufull

posted almost 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I bought a pair to go hiking in Hawaii—which, as it turns out, the trail was muddy so normal shoes would have been better haha. they provide better traction on surfaces, but I prefer regular running shoes.

BeyondLustre
Forum_moderator
BeyondLustre

I’m just scared of the lack of support-I always get knee pain anyway when I run too much or don’t replace my sneakers as needed. Have you guys noticed anything with the five-toe/barefoot shoes, or was joint pain never an issue before?

scwind
New_user scwind is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When scwind reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
scwind

I am not at all a hard core runner but I do a lot of walking for exercise/just in my daily life and I have found them really great! At first they will make you sore but that will go away and stop coming back pretty quickly. And if you slowly break them in by going on short walks/runs and then working up to longer ones the soreness will be way less noticeable.

Geek_Le_Chic
Style_council
Geek_Le_Chic

You will hear pros and cons to Vibrams. Those who are against them generally have limited insight on the purpose of their “minimalist” structure and lack of support.

So here’s the Down-Low: Vibrams are structured to be as close to running on your bare feet as possible. If you think about the World-famous runners from Africa, these people NEVER owned shoes in their life, yet are able to run 20-30 miles without a problem. The reason being is that tennis shoes provide so much foot and sole cushion that it absorbs ALL the force of each step. This means that:

1.) the cushion eliminates any need your foot/ankle/leg muscles to actively participate in the foot striking process which essentially cheats your leg muscles from an actual workout

2.) The cushion most tennis shoes have are WAY TOO MUCH to the point of being deleterious to your joints

3.) Tennis shoes will not teach you to run correctly (mid-sole strike). In fact, most tennis shoes out their promote the most commonly incorrect way of running which is the HEEL-STRIKE stride. This incorrect running technique will consequently lead to chronic joint pain, shin splints, and eventual osteoarthritis.

If you do get a pair of tennis shoes, PLEASE make sure you go to a professional store and get customize fitting for your particular feet. Don’t get so and so shoes just because they look “cute” or are on sale.

I own a pair of running shoes called “NEWTONS” and got the perfect model to match my particular foot architecture. I use these to jog long distances.

I also own a pair of Vibrams, and I wear these almost every day so that I can learn the correct posturing of my strides and constantly practice my MID-SOLE STRIKE.

So, my conclusion would be to own both Vibrams and Tennis shoes, but the tennis need to be the perfect model for your foot anatomy.

Good Luck!!! :-)

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION